Tornado Kick

Posted by: applegm

Tornado Kick - 04/17/03 06:33 AM

Are tornado kicks really useful in combat?
Posted by: JohnL

Re: Tornado Kick - 04/17/03 08:29 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by applegm:
Are tornado kicks really useful in combat? [/QUOTE]

God you're confused, aren't you.

What is your experience level? (I'm only asking so I can judge the way to answer)

JohnL
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: Tornado Kick - 04/17/03 08:31 AM

I will take on this answer.

No

Re: Tornado Kick - 04/17/03 08:52 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by UKfightfreak:
I will take on this answer.

No
[/QUOTE]

I just didn't want to be nasty or sarcastic.
I must be in a good mood this morning!
[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Re: Tornado Kick - 04/17/03 09:36 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JohnL:
I just didn't want to be nasty or sarcastic.
I must be in a good mood this morning!
[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

[/QUOTE]

Thats not nasty,

Just true [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

I must admit my posts of late have been a bit on the agressive side, but I am stressed with my dissertation needing to get finished and finals coming up Ahhh!!
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Tornado Kick - 04/17/03 11:02 AM

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a tornado kick? Is it a spinning kick?
If so then my answer is also no.
Applegm, don't be put off posting because people seem blunt, they are lovely really, it's just that a lot of people have very strong views, it is nothing personal and I have learnt quite a bit in the short time I have posted on these boards. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Sharon
Posted by: applegm

Re: Tornado Kick - 04/18/03 12:57 AM

Darth Maul in Star Wars used the Tornado kick, its very advanced.

Re: Tornado Kick - 04/18/03 03:30 AM

Darth Maul in Star Wars used the Tornado kick, its very advanced.[/QUOTE]

Ahh.. Ray Park our little Wu-shu hero - and from the UK too!

Re: Tornado Kick - 04/18/03 07:12 AM

Darth Maul in Star Wars used the Tornado kick, its very advanced.[/QUOTE]

Applegm

I asked for your experience level in my earlier post so that I could answer you in the right way. You haven't done so, (Thats OK, you don't have to) I just thought it might help me with a response.

In the absence of that information you have now submitted another post that would appear to justify a tornado kick in combat by stating that a character in star wars used it and it's very advanced.

I'm not in as good a mood as I was yesterday morning, so:

1. No a tornado kick is not any use in combat. You'd get stuffed half way through it.
2. If you look at anything in something like star wars to justify combat techniques you must be severely retarded.
3. I refuse to believe anyone on this forum is that stupid to put such an inane comment on any subject. Is your IQ above 10?

Hey UKFIGHTFREAK

I gave applegm a chance didn't I. I was nice yesterday!

JohnL

Re: Tornado Kick - 04/18/03 07:29 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JohnL:
Applegm

I asked for your experience level in my earlier post so that I could answer you in the right way. You haven't done so, (Thats OK, you don't have to) I just thought it might help me with a response.

In the absence of that information you have now submitted another post that would appear to justify a tornado kick in combat by stating that a character in star wars used it and it's very advanced.

I'm not in as good a mood as I was yesterday morning, so:

1. No a tornado kick is not any use in combat. You'd get stuffed half way through it.
2. If you look at anything in something like star wars to justify combat techniques you must be severely retarded.
3. I refuse to believe anyone on this forum is that stupid to put such an inane comment on any subject. Is your IQ above 10?

Hey UKFIGHTFREAK

I gave applegm a chance didn't I. I was nice yesterday!

JohnL

[/QUOTE]

Harsh..

But fair.

Re: Tornado Kick - 04/18/03 09:59 AM

Come on guys, I am sure applegm is not retarded, he is probably just very young (and obviously impressionable).

I still don't know what a tornado kick is, I have never seen any of the Star Wars films.
Please would someone describe it for me.
Sharon

Re: Tornado Kick - 04/18/03 11:22 AM

I still don't know what a tornado kick is,

Hi Sharon

I came across it when training with a group of Tang Soo Do guys I bash with over the summer.

Desribing it is difficult, you really have to see it to appreciate it fully.

I'll try:
Start with your right leg in front in a general fighting stance, turn anti clockwise and execute a left leg spinning inside/out crescent kick, keeping that leg in the air continue turning anti clockwise and whirl your right leg from the back to the front executing a spinning outside/inside crescent kick. (I'm not sure, but I think I've omitted about 180 degrees from the spinning and one leg movement)

Best I can do from memory I'm afraid.

Problems with the technique:

1. You need about 8ft all around you otherwise you get tangled up with other peoples limbs and end up in a mess on the floor that would do credit to a pair of mating octopus's. (Octupi?)

2. If you do it with a partner he invariably stuffs you somewhere painfull when you are in mid-air.

3. You need the combined athletic ability of an olympic high jumper/long jumper/gymnast together with the dexterity of an ice skater to land neatly after executing a triple lutz.

4. Even if you can do the above, the chances of disappearing up your own a*sh*l* are significant.

I love when the TSD guys try this sort of thing with me.

Please be aware that I am not responsible for any injuries attempting this technique may cause, and that you should consult your own doctor before trying.

Best of Luck. Let me know the results of your efforts.

JohnL

[This message has been edited by JohnL (edited 04-18-2003).]

Re: Tornado Kick - 04/18/03 12:40 PM

Thanks John, I definitely will NOT be using this kick in the event of an attack.
I can perform most spinning kicks reasonably well, but honestly applegm DON'T attempt one on the street.
Don't be dis-heatened though, you are obviously a beginner and I don't want to discourage your enthusiasm. Keep posting questions here, you will learn a lot - I have.
Sharon [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: mark

Re: Tornado Kick - 05/02/03 11:06 PM

The light sabre held between the teeth kick is better.

You execute a low and feeble faint front kick to an opponents ankle only 2 inches away, then head but the Bast*rd very hard.

Must have the light sabre on of course .

I taught Ray Park that one, but it was cut from the film

Mark
Posted by: MrVigerous

Re: Tornado Kick - 05/03/03 12:35 PM

What I often wonder about the crescent kick is quite frankly WHY? I mean ok I can do them spinning or otherwise but really they aren't that damaging unless your opponent has a glass jaw, they rarely hit anyone who's any good and you are often quite likely to get stuffed half way through as suggested. They simply look nice for demos in my opinion and the "tornado" kick is simply a film/demo creation.

On how to do one, JohnL's description in bang on. There is a varient whereby instead of the outside-in crescent (the second kick) you do a roundhouse instead. Not blowing my own but it isn't that hard to do compared to some of the nutty capoera aerial stuff. I would agree however that it is about as much use as a chocolate tea pot in reality.

Regds
Mr V

Re: Tornado Kick - 05/03/03 12:40 PM

Go here for an example of the "tornado kick" and other showboating stuff in the "trickandflips" section.
http://www.geocities.com/ox_pasture/T360r.html

Regds
Mr V

Re: Tornado Kick - 05/03/03 12:49 PM

Mr V,
One more application of the crescent kick is to use it to take someone's guard out. One of my favourites in sparring, but would not want to use it in a street situation.
Sharon

Re: Tornado Kick - 05/03/03 12:55 PM

Yes it is, but most crescent kick, especialy non spinning ones are so underpowered and slow that one is tempted to move your guard around them or simply step back. If not its unlikely the guard will move much in my experience anyway.

Regds
Mr V
Posted by: Yoseikan Student

Re: Tornado Kick - 05/03/03 01:20 PM

I'd agree on the whole issue of trying to take out a guard. I've always thought that that was a waste of time in sparring.

Assuming that i get it spot on and i'm relatively strong enough to knock the floating guard aside, i'd have to reset myself v. quickly if i want to score a point from that opening.- /Maybe/ it can be done, but not by me (yet!) [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG].

However I reckon if u really wind one in from what i'd usually consider punching distance and 'wipe' it across your opponent's face you could do some damage with a technique that he might not have seen comming. Bit out of order in semi-contact tho'.
Posted by: Tkdstreetfighter88

Re: Tornado Kick - 05/07/03 02:40 PM

ok i have mastered my tornado kick pretty well now. And i am about 99.9 % sure that a tornado kick would not be very successful in a street fight or full contact fight ,pretty impressive when your just trying to score points though
but i take a little muay thai to and my teacher asked me if i knew a tornado kick, i told him yea i learned it in tae kwon do
and he thought a pretty cool trick you can do with one in a full contact or street fight using the element of suprise.
If you have some pretty good distance from your opponent start doing a tornado kick you know do it 1 maybe 2 times around,(depending on the distance and if you have to get closer) then when you come from spinning around again use the momentum from the spin and punch them in the face.

The thing is never get your foot to close to them because tornado kicks are extremly easy to jam make sure your kicking in the air in front of them and not at them, but think about it if some comes at you with a big fancy tornado kick your gonna be ready to jam it, your defenses will usually be down and your expecting them to come around with another kick not a punch to the face.

I just wanted to post this since a tornado kick can be useful if you know how to use it just dont try to take anyone out with a tornado kick. Unless you want to get your ass torn apart.