humility

Posted by: Chen Zen

humility - 02/17/03 02:27 PM

what ever happened to the humble man? people come to these sites and ask questons not out of curiosity or wanting to learn but ask instead as an excuse to assault a style or a persons ideas. instead of considering the persons style or background they stick to what they know and say that all others are a waste. if you dont really want to know then dont ask. if you want to ridicule someone then go back to the play ground kid. let the adults do the adult things that a website like this is for. let the people who want to learn and grow do so. if you choose to stay closed minded then do so but do so on your own but always remember that the technique that beats you is anything but what you have trained for. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/mad.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: taebot

Re: humility - 02/18/03 03:48 AM

I would also add that if you are not willing to set the example...

But the ridicule is good for it gives a measure of a person, and much to their instructor's chagrin, also gives you a peek into the system and that which is considered important.

There is also something to be said for playing at Diogenes or "Devil's Advocate..." If it were nothing but a polite scholarly debating society you run the risk of falling into ritualistic patterns of thought and expression that stifle a learning environment for those of less disciplined thought processes. It is encumbant upon us to discipline, not combat those thought processes, lest we as a WHOLE become judges by the action of a few.
Posted by: labRatBioMajor

Re: humility - 06/17/03 09:33 AM

admittedly, i too am not humble or respectful like i should be. you'd think, at least on a martial arts bb, that people would hold each other in high regard. ...

*working at it*

-LK
(5th kyu, isshinryu)
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: humility - 06/17/03 11:27 PM

the wiseman listens and questions, the fool laughs and ridicules.
Posted by: smittenkittenTKD

Re: humility - 07/07/03 10:09 PM

i agree with CZ [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG] lol