TKD Forms

Posted by: bunkaikid

TKD Forms - 01/06/03 09:15 AM

Does anyone use their TKD forms as a means of training for self defense. If so, can you elaborate on how you train this way?

BK
Posted by: Moogong

Re: TKD Forms - 01/07/03 09:56 AM

I consider my forms to be a real good tool for developing self defense skills. First, whenever I learn a new form, I do it slowly to develop good technique, then gradually get faster...until the point I can deliver the moves with the speed and power I would need if I had to defend myself. Also, in order to see the self defense value of a form, its good to have other students or lower belts, attack you from the angles and directions the form moves in. It may be rehearsed, but it gives you a good idea of the principle of the form.

Does that help?
Posted by: bunkaikid

Re: TKD Forms - 01/07/03 11:26 AM

Thanks for the reply, for this and the latter. I appreciate it. I am new to the forums here, and it is seems hard to be a part of the learning team with so many egos around
Thanks again !
Posted by: taebot

Re: TKD Forms - 01/19/03 04:12 AM

I recall reading in a biography (Funakoshi?) a story about kata practice and seeing the moves between the moves.

So yes. To an extent. It's one aspect.
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: TKD Forms - 02/19/03 04:59 PM

absolutely use your forms. they have your techniques in them and you get a better understanding of what they are for.the forms also give you a chance to relax outside of the dojo and outside of the other students and any self doubt you may have. practice them and eventually the value of them will appear before your eyes.
Posted by: Lothmir

Re: TKD Forms - 06/21/03 04:47 PM

I never really saw the point in katas until just a few days ago(over 2 years after I stopped going to the dojo). But it seems that they are a good way to practice the fundamentals. Forgive me, I'm going to give a band example.(Yes, I'm a band nerd, ask me about it later) Katas are like long tones and scales. For those who actually understand what I'm talking about. Hope that helps. For those of you who don't, e-mail me, I'll try to think of a different example. Thanks! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

-Lothmir(Flower Jewel)
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: TKD Forms - 06/22/03 02:18 PM

Kata and forms are standardized ways to teach fundamentals to students-attacks, proper body mechanics for generating power,needed repetitions to build muscle memory, etc.
As you progress and continue performing the katas and forms, a deeper understanding of them should arise(guided by instructor sometimes pointing things out)ie the block is not a block but an arm lock/take down or strike to pressure points, etc.
Katas and forms should be practiced using visualization-should "see" the attacks blocked,"see" opponents you are hitting.
Also forms and kata are a means for physical conditioning.If practiced low and slow(deep stances at slower speed)you are building endurance and power,if practiced at speed with multiple repetitions you are performing cardio conditioning.
All of the above are necessary for self defense.
Posted by: kempo_jujitsu

Re: TKD Forms - 06/23/03 01:19 PM

there is way more to kata than that i think, especially when you get into kyusho jutsu. a block isnt a block, a chamber isnt a chamber etc. kata effectively maps out targets. if studied properly. bunkaikid...read your name...its all in the bunkai!
try reading pressure point fighting made easy by george dillman for more on kata and bunkai and the way they look at their kata. as you know bunkai is the breakdown of the movements in kata to learn applications. kata is a whole new world even to high ranking black belts when studied in this manner. this is the true meaning of kata in my opinion. you dont fight from this stance...you dont move like this...you dont "chamber" your fist on your hip, and you dont use a low "block" against a front kick. there are hundreds of uses for the low "block" alone....funny part is...none of them are really blocks! lol as for stances..why would the old okinawan masters (supposedly very effective fighters)...fight from a low horse stance...why would they chamber their fist, why would they block with one arm up here and one down here...simple truth...they wouldnt and they didnt. then how might you use a low stance...stances to me are freeze frames of motion...concentrate on the movement into that stance not the stance itsself...when performing kotegaishi...lower your weight into one of those "stances" this adds power.
it also has to do with your polarity...positive and negative energy of your body when striking your opponent...thats a whole other story.