Jumping Spinning Kicks

Posted by: Brewer

Jumping Spinning Kicks - 04/25/01 10:16 PM

You've seen the beautiful jumping spinning kicks of TaeKwonDo. You've seen the damage the kicks can do.These kicks are devastating,not only to the bricks and boards but to the practitioner as well.Have you seen what happens to someones leg when they don't come down right and land wrong.The ligament and tendon damage that is done is so bad that some of those who were unlucky enough to land wrong are permanently damaged for life.Like I've said before I love all the Arts and am not coming down on any style.It's the training process that one has to watch out for when doing these types of kicks.After you have figured out how you are going to do the third arial break before coming back down,(don't stop there)make sure that you have figured out exactly how you are going to land.Don't cut yourself short on the landing.Any takers?
Posted by: Hachiman

Re: Jumping Spinning Kicks - 08/16/01 09:33 PM

I saw someone break their leg during the olympics I think. It was gruesome. Landing correctly is of course preferential but it may be better to try to turn bad landings into a breakfall if possible. Just a thought.

Hachiman

[This message has been edited by Hachiman (edited 08-16-2001).]
Posted by: Jeniko

Re: Jumping Spinning Kicks - 01/19/03 06:47 PM

I think good was to avoid this is to try and land on both feet at the same time or as close to the same time as possible.
Posted by: taebot

Re: Jumping Spinning Kicks - 01/22/03 04:18 AM

I think those willing to push the envelope are willing to accept injuries. I think about that every time I see young people skateboarding, which is a stunt sport, bike riding, motocross, or any extreme sport, name one...

[Let's not mention my High School sports injuries and Pee Wee baseball, OW!]

This past weekend a Judo/Jujitsu player of long ago was complaining about torn this and that from the past and how he wanted to set the world on fire as a middle-aged Judoka, but learned it was a youth-oriented sport.

That's how I see TKD and some of it's techniques. I teach them to the young, but for adults the TKD I teach is much more mature, more karate-like. The kids want Chinese Opera, wushu, TKD, to dream, to push, to dare to excel...

[This message has been edited by taebot (edited 01-22-2003).]
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Jumping Spinning Kicks - 02/19/03 04:50 PM

i dont believe in jump kicks so much. there is too much committment. once your in the air that is it you are committed. but if you can get it to work for you and have a good opening then the effectiveness is undeniable but i think for the most part, stay on the ground.
Posted by: Jamoni

Re: Jumping Spinning Kicks - 02/19/03 05:32 PM

Pretty? Hell yes!
Combat effective? Hell NO!
If you can jump up, spin around, throw out your leg, and your opponent hasn't jammed you or sidestepped, or just clocked you in the head or kidneys, you have no business pummeling this poor sucker. NEVER turn your back.
As far as injuries, I'd like to see a martial art that teaches age appropriate techniques. Young kids get basic wrestling, older kids and teens get striking training, twenty's guys get in depth grappling and weapons, us 30's guys get more finesse based stuff, and the older guys work into energy/meditation work. Why SHOULDN"T the art grow with the artist?

Re: Jumping Spinning Kicks - 02/20/03 05:00 AM

Jump-spin (I prefer the term jump turn so the student makes a tight, quick, move, not a spin which tosses away power as angular momentum) side-kick is absolutely devastating to the Bull-Rush type of fighters and I have clocked many people with it in competition (as well as photos of me knocking people out with jump-turn crescent kick).

I've never used them in self-defense.

I tend to use a good, old-fashioned, John Wayne to the jaw. I've had great success, especially after Sensei clipped me on a certain spot a few times as he gently [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG] taught me the art of pressure points...

Re: Jumping Spinning Kicks - 02/20/03 04:19 PM

The only scenario I think justifies a spinning kick is if you are just plain off balance, and spinning around anyway. May as well turn it into a kick. But jumping? why?

Re: Jumping Spinning Kicks - 02/21/03 03:30 AM

I would hesitate to wonder how one got so off balance and spinning in the first place.

Torque, speed, mass, in short power, a finishing technique.

Re: Jumping Spinning Kicks - 02/21/03 05:34 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by taebot:
I would hesitate to wonder how one got so off balance and spinning in the first place.
Torque, speed, mass, in short power, a finishing technique.
[/QUOTE]
That's why I don't THROW spinning kicks. I was just trying to think of SOME legitimate use, where a faster simpler alternative didn't exist.

Power, yes, speed, in terms of velocity, yes, but not in terms of TIME. In the time it takes to throw one spinning kick, you could probably get off a jab/cross/uppercut combo. Plenty of "finishing" power there.

[This message has been edited by Jamoni (edited 02-21-2003).]

Re: Jumping Spinning Kicks - 02/22/03 03:48 AM

But by round six he's seen all your good combos and he's still up!

Time for some extra juice!

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee HAAAAAAAAAAAAAwwwwwwwwwww......

Re: Jumping Spinning Kicks - 02/22/03 11:12 PM

Jump spin kicks: the attraction?
They look cool, and are fun as hell.
Posted by: Lothmir

Re: Jumping Spinning Kicks - 06/21/03 04:40 PM

Why complain about high kicks and ineffectiveness? I believe if done correctly they can cause alot of damage. But I'm one of those fighters who is willing to take the risk of injury to do something like that. There is no sense in complaining about it, so why don't y'all quit whining and accept it as a challenge, even if it is for show. How many shows are there that involve danger or risk of injury, lots! That's never stopped anyone before. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG] Best of luck to all!

-Lothmir(Flower Jewel)
Posted by: Karate Dude

Re: Jumping Spinning Kicks - 06/22/03 02:50 PM

Lothmir said.
I believe if done correctly they can cause alot of damage. -------------------------------------- A SIdekick should be kicked rapidly,As well as low.#1Ballance,You should never risk high kick during a real life altercation,As most fights are close.#2 Keeping the sidekick,As well as other kicks rapid makes it easier to get in,& out of certain situations,Or to put it another way,It's better to kick this way which woul enable you for bodyshifing. #3When in a real life altercation you'll never know if the person that you're fighting might also know MA.#4 Another reason for a low sidekick,& Other kicks,Is a high low combos. #5 Never kicking above the waist eliminates fancy techniques,& a Low rapid kick,Rather it be asidekick,Or some other kick is harder to block. PS Diguising your ability,& Fighting smart will increase your chance survival. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG] ---------------------------------------------Sensei Rhodes has left the building [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

[This message has been edited by Karate Dude (edited 06-23-2003).]
Posted by: kempo_jujitsu

Re: Jumping Spinning Kicks - 06/23/03 01:03 PM

once in tkd, i tried a jump reverse side kick, got my foot caught in the chain on the heavy bag and tore out my knee, damm that hurt!!
Posted by: Karate Dude

Re: Jumping Spinning Kicks - 06/23/03 08:10 PM

Ouch!
Posted by: Rand

Re: Jumping Spinning Kicks - 06/25/03 07:48 PM

you cant say all kicks above the waist are useless

my instructers son was sparring one of the senior students tonight in full contact and his son broke the senior students nose with an axe kick

my instructers son is a black belt by the way

and he had good control its just that the student wasnt expecting it and didnt have his gaurd up

so as a surprise technique some higher techniques could work

ie axe crescent
Posted by: ninjaboy

Re: Jumping Spinning Kicks - 02/23/04 02:48 PM

they look totally awesome, and if anyone sees you land one of those on somebody, there not gonna mess with you.
Posted by: badmamajama

Re: Jumping Spinning Kicks - 02/23/04 05:06 PM

its not that these kicks wont or cant work they do and can,trouble is in the street its a high risk kick,ive pulled off jump spinning cresent kick and landed it in full contact kickboxing match,but still in street i keep kicks low not willing to risk not landing in good position,but that said tkd,has some of the most beautiful kicks around.
Posted by: hmm I can't think of one

Re: Jumping Spinning Kicks - 04/12/04 11:16 AM

I have to agree on one thing these kicks are very dangerous for both urself and ur opponent but the thing i disagree on is their so called in affectivness(sp) I have landed a jump spin side kick but you are better off staying on the ground. And as for high kicking I dont disagree with it but I do disagree with using them without your opponent stunned.

BTW: Does anyone's school do full contact no padded training? I realize this is off topic but this is the best way to train urself for these kicks.

[This message has been edited by hmm I can't think of one (edited 04-12-2004).]
Posted by: applegm

Re: Jumping Spinning Kicks - 04/13/04 08:32 AM

Once you master spinning kicks they are beautiful in street fighting don't you think?

Multiple Opponents?

PS. There is a Dojang I know in Hong Kong where I live, The students are taught and trained to kick the head. Man they are powerful.

Thanks,

[This message has been edited by applegm (edited 04-13-2004).]
Posted by: taekwondosamurai

Re: Jumping Spinning Kicks - 04/29/04 04:51 PM

At my dojang I've never seen someone hurt while doing a spin kick and me practice them alot on bags.
Posted by: Isshinryukid4life

Re: Jumping Spinning Kicks - 04/29/04 10:41 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by applegm:
Once you master spinning kicks they are beautiful in street fighting don't you think?

Multiple Opponents?

I realy hope you're joking. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/confused.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: TKD info

Re: Jumping Spinning Kicks - 04/30/04 02:29 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by taekwondosamurai:
At my dojang I've never seen someone hurt while doing a spin kick and me practice them alot on bags.[/QUOTE]

Then you might need to look at competitions or you maybe a victim of a McDojo.

Realistically any kicks hurt depending on the force that is applied.
Posted by: applegm

Re: Jumping Spinning Kicks - 05/11/04 11:20 PM

even if they block a jump spin kick it will still hurt for them. Might not even be able to block anymore.
Posted by: Uriel

Re: Jumping Spinning Kicks - 05/12/04 01:49 AM

As stated before, I am retired.

But let me just expand on the post above on stunning...

The thing I miss most about not competing or training in the martial arts? Hitting someone so hard that they literally stop. They stop walking, they stop fighting and the look on their face when they do stop.

Now I don't mean trying to kill someone or severely hurt them. Just hitting them solid, very solid. Blocked or not...and making them not want to fight anymore.

God, I miss that feeling.
Posted by: schanne

Re: Jumping Spinning Kicks - 05/12/04 08:25 AM

What's your point? Are you saying you must land correctly? Yes that's basic, just like any art/sport practice make perfect. A student of the balance beam and gymnastics must think of landings too but it shouldn't interfere with the normal practice of thier art.
Posted by: schanne

Re: Jumping Spinning Kicks - 05/12/04 08:28 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hmm I can't think of one:
I have to agree on one thing these kicks are very dangerous for both urself and ur opponent but the thing i disagree on is their so called in affectivness(sp) I have landed a jump spin side kick but you are better off staying on the ground. And as for high kicking I dont disagree with it but I do disagree with using them without your opponent stunned.

BTW: Does anyone's school do full contact no padded training? I realize this is off topic but this is the best way to train urself for these kicks.

[This message has been edited by hmm I can't think of one (edited 04-12-2004).]
[/QUOTE]

We do full contact with boxing gloves, head gear, and mouth guards. Our student still know how to use control even when we say full contact, I don't think anyone has been hurt yet.