Hapkido Hyungs

Posted by: Brewer

Hapkido Hyungs - 03/12/01 12:25 PM

Hello,
I read that Hapkido doesn't have any Hyungs and that the ones that they utilize are basically borrowed from Tae Kwon Do.I've been told by Tae Kwon Do stylist that the Hyungs of TKD and hapkido are the same.
Any information would be appreciated.
Thank you
Your Brother in the Arts
Posted by: Mac

Re: Hapkido Hyungs - 08/08/01 12:47 PM

Most Hapkido schools/styles do not have forms, but some do.

They are very different than Taekwondo forms. I hope to get a tape of some examples soon and I'll post them.

Mac
Posted by: Brewer

Re: Hapkido Hyungs - 08/08/01 03:10 PM

Hello Mac,
It does get a little confusing when you hear so many different points of view.There is a TaeKwon Do and Hapkido instructor here in my home town now and he says TKD and Hapkido are the same thing.I myself know that they are different.But when I have watched them perform the kata's, forms or hyungs from Hapkido,they are very similar to the TKD hyungs with slight variations.
Your Brother in the Arts [IMG]http://bbs.fightingarts.com/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: ericules

Re: Hapkido Hyungs - 04/08/02 11:17 AM

Hello,
Grand Master Jung Hwan Park presents a hyong in his book from 1995 called "Traditional Hapkido". GM Park is the founder of the World Traditional Hapkido Federation. GM Park began his study of Hapkido in 1958 under late Grand Master Choi, Yong-Sool. I think the reason for confusion on the part of forms in Hapkido, is that when GM Choi died he left hapkido in a chaotic state with little written documentation or organization. The form in GM Park's book is called Hapki Cho-Dan Hyong. He states that it is for beginning students that don't have other forms to use in training. He also states that as a black belt and beyond, the student will learn 2 barehanded and 7 weapons forms. He doesn't however present any of these forms. I'm sure that other organizations similarly created forms for their students to train with and for use at competitions. Unfortunately, it is difficult to obtain GM Park's book. I bought it at his school in Tampa when I was on a visit.
Posted by: Bry

Re: Hapkido Hyungs - 04/29/02 02:52 PM

I went to a hapkido tournament last year. Their hyungs were very different from anything I've seen. They did not use Korean names though. I'm very new to korean martial arts so my experience is quite limited.
Posted by: fdegree

Re: Hapkido Hyungs - 05/17/02 06:54 AM

I have been training in Korean arts (taekwon do - hapki do - gum do) for about 10 years - specifically Hapki Do for about 6 years. My GM teaches 2 sets of forms during the Gup ranks. We learn one form from each set starting at 8 Gup. I can tell you there is a HUGE difference between these HKD forms and the TKD forms that I have been taught.

Also, I had a 2nd Dan in TKD before starting my HKD training and I can say they are VERY different arts with a common connection in kicking - beyond the kicks, they are NOT the same thing. TKD is a hard, linear and "piston-like" art while HKD is a soft, circular and "fluid-like" art.

Plus, you can visit different HKD schools and notice various differences in what and how they teach, unless they are all part of the same organization. So, don't judge the art from exposure to just one HKD school.