Tae Kwon Do

Posted by: Brewer

Tae Kwon Do - 01/17/01 11:20 AM

What are the names of the styles or associations that jouned together to form the Tae Kwon Do Association.Through research on my own, there were five acadamies,Moo Duk Kwan,Chang Mu Kwan,Sung Mu Kwan,Jido Kwan and Chung Gu Kwan.These are the ones who joined together to form one controlling association. The unification was first attempted in 1964,this attempt failed.The association which tried was known as the Tae Soo Do Association.Eventually these acadamies were consumed by the Tae Kwon Do Association in 1965.Let me know what you think about it.Or maybe you have other information I don't have.
Brewer

[This message has been edited by Brewer (edited 01-26-2001).]
Posted by: judderman

Re: Tae Kwon Do - 08/09/01 06:26 PM

Apparently the term, Tae Kwon Do, was founded by General Choi Hong Hi, who is the founder of the original TKD. The association covering this is the International TKD Federation (ITF). Each country has its own association, affiliated to the ITF.
The term Kwan refers to schools.

For more info try: www.ITF-Taekwondo.com

It would appear that there are other assoc. such as the WTF, GTF which would be political offshoots.
budo
Posted by: Brewer

Re: Tae Kwon Do - 08/13/01 01:47 AM

Hello Judderman,
From the History that I have read "Kwan" comes from a General Kwan who invented the Kwan Do, which is a type of bladed spear with a shorter handle.It could also be used for both meanings,I really don't remember if it does or not.
Your Brother in the Arts
Posted by: Mac

Re: Tae Kwon Do - 08/13/01 02:18 PM

Yes, Kwan is a school, or style of TKD. In 1945 there were 5 kwans, and after the Korean war there were 7 that tried to organize to what is known as TKD.

The first organization was called the Korean Tae Soo Do Association, in which all the kwans joined, except Hwang Kee and the Moo Duk Kwan, which split in half over it.

One year, Maj. Gen. Choi was elected as president of the Korea Tae Soo Do Association (was in the position for 1 year) and he got everyone to agree to use the term Tae Kwon Do, so the name was changed. They didn't agree however to adopt the forms he created (Chang-hon) so he left and created his own organization called the International Taekwon-do Federation. After that, the Korean TKD Association changed their name to the World TaeKwonDo Federation, and created a new set of forms in '68 called Palgue and the yudanja forms. In '72, they changed the gup/kyu forms from palgue to Taegeuk forms but kept the yudanja forms.

The Kukkiwon was built and created to oversee all dan promotions, and the WTF just became an international sports organization that coordinates all international TKD compititions.

Hope this helps,
Mac