insurance

Posted by: pricesouth

insurance - 10/21/07 10:46 PM

The school I have been a guest instructor at for the last 7 years has died a slow death. I am now opening my own club. What is the best way to handle insurance? By the way I was teaching 4 to 5 days a week anyway.
Posted by: eyrie

Re: insurance - 10/22/07 05:53 AM

At the very least you will need Public Liability and Professional Indemnity cover. Not all insurance companies cover sports/athletic insurance. You may need to hunt around. In any case, you will speak with an insurance company to ensure that you are adequately covered, for your personal circumstances.
Posted by: JAMJTX

Re: insurance - 10/22/07 11:56 AM

If you are renting a place, the owner or property manager will have specific requirements. Check with them first. They need to be protected from lawsuits as well as you do.

You may also need to have them included in your liability waiver.

There are companies that specialize in martial arts. You may not want to go with just a "sports" policy. What you are doing is much different. Your rates will vary based on the type of art. If you are teaching weapons your rates may be higher. If you are not using weapons, make sure they know that when you get the quote.

You may find that you need 2 polices. One for general liability (ie: someone slips on a wet floor in the bathroom) and one to cover you while teaching (an injury directly related to training)
Posted by: Dobbersky

Re: insurance - 10/25/07 04:21 AM

Not too sure in the US but in the UK the Governing body you may be attached to can supply all your insurance requirements

Re: insurance - 10/28/07 03:15 PM

Thanks for the info but does anybody have any idea what insurance company's to get in contact with? Doesn't have to be the cheep, but good to work with would help a lot.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: insurance - 10/28/07 05:26 PM

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...=0#Post15965149

Re: insurance - 10/29/07 08:16 AM

Thankyou