WHY DOES THIS BOARD DO THIS ???????????????????

Posted by: VDJ

WHY DOES THIS BOARD DO THIS ??????????????????? - 08/01/06 11:11 PM

Why is it if you fat finger and hit the back button while typing a post and then click the forward button your post gets wiped out ? It is very annoying for someone whose typing skills are very challenged !!!!!!!!!!! I was in the middle of a lenghthy post when it happened (actually almost finished) and the damn thing gets wiped out and I will have to start over. Can something be done to correct this ? Please ?????????????????????????

VDJ
Posted by: JoelM

Re: WHY DOES THIS BOARD DO THIS ??????????????????? - 08/01/06 11:21 PM

Yes, stop hitting the back button.

On a less sarcastic note, write your post in a word program and then copy-and-paste it when you are done.

Re: WHY DOES THIS BOARD DO THIS ??????????????????? - 08/01/06 11:35 PM

But the back button is so big and it makes a real cool clicking sound. Thanks for the suggestion, but I still think it would be easier if we could click back and forth at our discretion as needed. Why does it wipe out what you posted ?

VDJ

Re: WHY DOES THIS BOARD DO THIS ??????????????????? - 08/02/06 12:33 AM

Because you're not paying for this website or any of the software it is running.
Posted by: TeK9

Re: WHY DOES THIS BOARD DO THIS ?????????????????? - 08/02/06 12:50 AM

I feel your pain, I to have lost many long post due to the back button issue. Because I type on a laptop sometimes I accidental hit the pad buttons with my thumbs and this too causes the back button to work. Also I find it very disturbing when you submit your post and the site server disconnects, and advises you to hit the back button and your message is deleted.

One other complaint and this one is a doozy. Many of my post's have been disapeering from the site. It's not that I am being censored by the mods or admin, but my posts are just actually disapeering and nobody knows what's happening.

Frustrating stuff, but it's good to know I am not alone. Good posts VDJ,
Posted by: pepto_bismol

Re: WHY DOES THIS BOARD DO THIS ?????????????????? - 08/02/06 12:53 AM

Maybe this should be on forum help?

Anyway, I have a mouse with 4 "clickers"
one on the far left, one on far right and 2 in center. It is very easy to accidently hit the one on far left. And it is somehow a hotkey for the back button, so I have lost a lot of posts. Some I re-post. Others I call it a day. Writing it on a word document is a good idea, but it requires a few extra... clicks :<
Posted by: Joe7987

Re: WHY DOES THIS BOARD DO THIS ?????????????????? - 08/02/06 12:55 AM

I feel your pain. I'm on a laptop... and often times my hand will hit the pad causing it to click when the cursor is no longer in the textbox.... and I'll accidentallly hit the backspace key and that triggers the back button... boom, post lost. Sucks.

Re: WHY DOES THIS BOARD DO THIS ?????????????????? - 08/02/06 07:37 AM

It sounds like the Laptop is the common thread. Joel, the "I'm not paying for the site" comment wasn't really nessesary. I had a legitimate question that deserved a straight forward answer.

VDJ
Posted by: oldman

Re: WHY DOES THIS BOARD DO THIS ?????????????????? - 08/02/06 09:22 AM

V,
In an ironic turn of events. Just yesterday I wrote a long post to you regarding your pm. Poof... it was gone. Sorry I'll have to get up the energy to do it again.

Re: WHY DOES THIS BOARD DO THIS ?????????????????? - 08/02/06 09:46 AM

VDJ, the "you're not paying" comment was not meant to be rude, and it was a straightforward answer. Although if it was rude I don't feel it would be entirely out of line with your attitude. The fact of the matter is that if this were a pay-membership site then we might be able to have better software, less ads, and a whole host of other options. But it is not a pay-membership site, and I think most here are thankful for that. With it being a free use site I find it laughable and disrespectful when people complain about petty things such as "when I click the back button on accident my post goes away." There are completely viable (and quite simple) ways to remedy this problem and yet you continue to whine.

I have a mouse that has a hot-button for the Back function in my web browser, and yes, I do click it sometimes when I'm writing a post and have to rewrite it. Big deal! It it matters that much, rewrite the post like I do, or just do it in a word processing program.

Or maybe I'm wrong and beggars can be choosers.

Either way I doubt your complaint will be mended, so I suggest you use a word processing program to avoid any further problems.
Posted by: TeK9

Re: WHY DOES THIS BOARD DO THIS ?????????????????? - 08/02/06 12:37 PM

VDJ,

Do not dignify that with a response. It would only prove him right. When I wrote my post I was doing it to show that your not the only one and that yes, I to feel your frustration. It helps sometimes to vent, I already ask and recieved help from the admin long ago.

Petty, petty, fo-fetty, bananna, ramma, fo-betty, fe, fy fo-fetty...petty.

Hail to the powers that be...
Posted by: MattJ

Re: WHY DOES THIS BOARD DO THIS ??????????????????? - 08/02/06 12:49 PM

VDJ -

I don't know why the program here does that. It is annoying, and it has happened to me several times in the past. I finally learned to copy the post before actually going to post it. Works every time.

We all have to make do with what we have here. You may not remember the program we had before this one - but I assure you it was worse in almost every way. I'm grateful for what we have now.
Posted by: pepto_bismol

Re: WHY DOES THIS BOARD DO THIS ??????????????????? - 08/03/06 11:33 AM

Quote:

VDJ -

I don't know why the program here does that. It is annoying, and it has happened to me several times in the past. I finally learned to copy the post before actually going to post it. Works every time.

We all have to make do with what we have here. You may not remember the program we had before this one - but I assure you it was worse in almost every way. I'm grateful for what we have now.

Did it look a little like this?

http://web.archive.org/web/20030207090012/www.fightingarts.com/forums/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi
Posted by: Dereck

Re: WHY DOES THIS BOARD DO THIS ?????????????????? - 08/03/06 11:53 AM

Ah ... the good old days.

You should have seen it even before this. We would write our notes on paper and then mail it to all of the people on the list. Took months just to get replies.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: WHY DOES THIS BOARD DO THIS ?????????????????? - 08/03/06 12:11 PM

Yeah, before that it was smoke signals. Couldn't do it when it rained or was foggy.

Re: WHY DOES THIS BOARD DO THIS ?????????????????? - 08/03/06 05:04 PM

In the very first iteration of the forum, we actually had to meet in person and actually show what we were trying to communicate.

Thank goodness for technology that we don't have to do that anymore.

edited to fix moderator Joel's italics
Posted by: Reiki

Re: WHY DOES THIS BOARD DO THIS ?????????????????? - 08/11/06 05:22 PM

oh yeah I remember the good ole days, and it used to be black didnt it?
Posted by: Taison

Re: WHY DOES THIS BOARD DO THIS ??????????????????? - 08/24/06 11:43 AM

Just type in wordpad and copy/paste it when you're finished. If you're too lazy for three extra "clicks", then we can't help you much. You just gotta live with it that you may some day "accidentally" press back.

-Taison out
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: WHY DOES THIS BOARD DO THIS ??????????????????? - 08/24/06 12:39 PM

PEBKAC.

Before I hit 'submit' I always do a copy-to-clipboard command. I know this doesn't solve the back button issue, but it's basically an OS/browser issue, not the board's fault.
Posted by: crablord

Re: WHY DOES THIS BOARD DO THIS ?????????????????? - 09/06/06 10:12 PM

im with thaison on this one, it actually pretty rude considering the forums free, and actually making a complaint about the forum because you cant be stuffed doing 3 or 4 clicks is absurd.