Floating an old topic....

Posted by: harlan

Floating an old topic.... - 12/14/05 09:26 AM

I have noticed that when I try to bump, or float an old topic (preconversion) that it almost never 'bumps'. I mean, I can see it if I look at the Main Index, and it is the most recent topic there...but if I go into the subforum....it doesn't show...it is still way back on page 53 or whatever. It also doesn't show up if I hit 'Active Topics'. But it seems that others can sometimes revive an old thread.

Any thing that I am doing wrong, or can this be 'fixed'? There are some dangling old threads that I would like to bump.

Thanks.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Floating an old topic.... - 12/14/05 11:15 AM

Not sure I understand you, harlan. Are you trying to bump threads without making a bump post?

Re: Floating an old topic.... - 12/14/05 11:17 AM

How do you make a 'bump post'?

Re: Floating an old topic.... - 12/14/05 11:47 AM

Okay, after going over in in several threads with JoelM, it seems that some threads don't bump. Can anyone tell me why?
Example:

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...792101c207434d0
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Floating an old topic.... - 12/14/05 11:57 AM

I tried to bump it as well, seems to be a problem associated with the changeover. I would suggest copying the post and making your own new thread with that text. Can't think of anything else.

Re: Floating an old topic.... - 12/14/05 11:57 AM

Thanks. Good to know it isn't just me.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Floating an old topic.... - 12/14/05 02:30 PM

thats what it is...on the 2nd page of that thread there are blank (lost) posts. when you add a new post to these threads that have lost posts, your new post is put after the last visible post.
but...
when the threads are sorted, they are sorted by last post date (which are still the lost posts). which is why the threads never get 'bumped'.

it's a bug in the software, and I'll send along an e-mail to infopop...they probably already know about it though.

Re: Floating an old topic.... - 12/14/05 02:32 PM

I love it when you talk all technical.

Thanks for the follow up.