EDIING "timeframe"

Posted by: Ronin1966

EDIING "timeframe" - 09/01/05 08:12 AM

Good Morning:
I was looking at a message which I had posted only last night after dinner, and realized I had failed to edit some spelling & grammer mistakes.

the system says I cannot because of being outside the ALLOWED time frame to edit a message

that is ridicilous & foolish criteria. Is this restraint being corrected/removed anytime soon??? (Come on editing, especially for the sake of clarification or readability... a time frame... that is a SERIOUS server flaw)

Is this being addressed?
Jeff
Posted by: JoelM

Re: EDIING "timeframe" - 09/01/05 09:02 AM

You have the opportunit to read, edit, and confirm your post before it is posted on the website. You are allowed 6 hours after you make a post to edit it. I believe this promotes responsibility in one's posts. You don't have the leisure to post whatever you feel and then go and change/delete it later. What you say is going to stay there and you must be responsible for it.

Simple editing for clarification can be a nuisance when not allowed, but why did you not review and edit your post when it was first made?
Posted by: MAGr

Re: EDIING "timeframe" - 09/01/05 09:51 AM

You sound like my mother!

Re: EDIING "timeframe" - 09/01/05 10:01 AM

I probably sound like my mother as well.

By the way, Ronin1966, you misspelled Editing. You only have about 4 hours left to correct it.
Posted by: Kintama

Re: EDIING "timeframe" - 09/01/05 09:19 PM

lol...Joel, you are getting funnier every day

Re: EDIING "timeframe" - 09/02/05 12:27 AM

I have so many good role models here.

Re: EDIING "timeframe" - 09/13/05 09:03 AM

Good Morning:

No actually spelling Editing with two I's was deliberate on my part... (whatever one has to do to get attention especially with a SERVER FLAW )

And respectfully, hopefully politely I will again propose this artificial time limit for editing a post... it IS a flaw!!! Please consider (reconsider?) enlarging the "window" of time permitted for more editing...

If an initial thread posting requires changing depite the authors best intentions & efforts... the artifical time frame is (again with ~respect~) a misguided idea.

Earnestly,
Jeff

EDITNG "timeframe" - 09/13/05 11:27 PM

All you have to do to get attention is to make a post. There is no need for tricks and gimmickery.

Respectfully and politely I again say this time limit promotes responsibility in posting.

If an initial thread posting requires changing despite the authors best intentions & efforts...the author either needs to spend more time forming his post or clarify later on.

It does no justice for people who respond and then the initial post is changed.

I am by no means the final authority on rules on this website. I am merely stating my opinion on the issue raised.

Re: EDITING "timeframe" - 09/14/05 07:24 AM

I am of the opinion that editing should not be allowed period.
You have the chance to edit when you press 'submit'. If you dont take the time to re read your post then it is your problem. Spelling mistakes are not serious enough a crime to need editing so crucially. And any other mistakes, like clarification, well you should have thought about it in the first place. When you hand in an essay for school or a report for work you dont get to edit it after you hand it in.

Dont be complacent and dont be lazy, and take care over what you type, and you should be fine!
Posted by: harlan

Re: EDITING "timeframe" - 09/14/05 11:21 AM

Sure you do...it's called a 'first draft'.
Perhaps a better analogy would be conversation. You can jump into the flow, and later regret what you said. Forums are weird because in one sense they are like conversation...dynamic...a stream with a flow. And on the other hand, once written, words are permanent, static markers...a record.

Plenty of times I have tried to be thoughtful, or precise, and afterwards realized that I conveyed other meaning.

Don't take away my editing timeframe!

Quote:

When you hand in an essay for school or a report for work you dont get to edit it after you hand it in.

Re: EDITING "timeframe" - 09/14/05 11:47 AM

please ignore my post and look at Harlan's.
Conversation is a much better example.

Plus I just edited something in another post so I guess I should shut up now
Posted by: laf7773

Re: EDITING "timeframe" - 09/15/05 11:58 AM

Prior to submitting a post you have the option to preview your post. It's that little check in the box just below the "add signature to this post" box. You know the one i'm sure most people uncheck. That is your opportunity to read over your post to ensure there is actually a coherent thought there and not just a bunch of rambling garble. I can understand that even if you double check your posts you may still miss something and that is why we have the edit function. This function is not here so you can come back the next day and change your post because your getting ripped to pieces by the other members and you want to get rid of any trace of what you have written.

Six hours is more than enough time to edit your post properly.

Re: EDITING "timeframe" - 09/15/05 01:05 PM

Good Morning Lane:

<<Six hours is more than enough time to edit your post properly.

Respectfully, I strongly disagree. I propose that perhaps a full day <gentle shrug> would be even a better time frame. Consider even with good editing, as many have suggested it is still possible to miss something, correct?

If given a larger window to polish/edit ones post/s greater clarity is viable. If the window is a mere 6 hours, modification is meaningfully limited, IMHV-fwiw. As anyone who has written (here or elsewhere) is aware, a new train of thought or the twist of an old one can easily happen with a new day. We can always clarify something if a thread goes the "wrong way", (ie being interpreted incorrectly, due to poor wording...). That was never my issue, nor my point.

Perhaps, perhaps a good comprimise <sp.?> might be the ability to save drafts of a message one is working on ? I do not deny careful initial editing is the first "filter", I am merely proposing others might be worthy of consideration!

Its merely my opinion, I could surely be mistaken,
Jeff
Posted by: laf7773

Re: EDITING "timeframe" - 09/15/05 02:10 PM

Part of the reasoning behind the six hour limit is accountability. If there is a need to clarify something in your initial post then you should make a second post doing so. There is no reason to edit your original post due to a new train of thought. I say this because in that one day that you have "changed your mind" about your post a number of other members may have already responded. If this is the case then you are derailing the thread, as many of their responses will make no sense to others coming into the thread after you have changed it.

It's simple. Be accountable for what you post. If you post some bizarre far out claim or write something as a knee jerk reaction you should stop and think about it prior to posting it. Grammatical errors aren't that big of a deal so long as they aren't intentional. If someone has a problem with spelling or grammar try typing your post into MS word first then cut and paste it here.

This is like a conversation. In any conversation you can't go back and change what you said. You can only make new statements to amend your previous point of view. It's the same here. Put some thought into your responses, be sure of what you say and be accountable for what you say. Six hours is MORE than enough editing time. If you need to come back the next day to change what you said because you no longer agree with your own statement then your not being honest to yourself or us.

Re: EDITING "timeframe" - 09/19/05 08:15 PM

Quote:

Perhaps, perhaps a good comprimise <sp.?> might be the ability to save drafts of a message one is working on ?

Done, and we added spell-check and grammar-check to it as well for your posting pleasure.

It's called Microsoft Word, you should find it on your C drive.
Posted by: iaibear

Re: EDITING "timeframe" - 10/27/05 11:04 AM

<<<Done, and we added spell-check and grammar-check to it as well for your posting pleasure.

It's called Microsoft Word, you should find it on your C drive.>>>

This explains my problems with "preview", icons not working, editing, and being unable to spell check without cutting and pasting to a writing software on my desktop. I run a Macintosh. No Microsoft Word. No C Drive.