Offer to moderate "Asian Art and Culture"

Posted by: MG26

Offer to moderate "Asian Art and Culture" - 07/08/05 04:10 PM

I would like to offer to become the moderator of the "Asian Art and Culture" section of the forum.

I believe that the section requires a moderator, both in order to generate interest with periodic posts that are likely to be of interest to martial-minded forum members, and in order to supply guidance regarding the appropriateness, balance and quality of the posts. For instance, at the moment there is a thread regarding kalaripayattu which should really be elsewhere. If you accept my offer to moderate that section, I will take it in a slightly different direction: still "martial", but more "art" (i.e. inspirational painting, music, writing, etc).

Thank you for considering this offer.

Kind regards,

MG26
Posted by: harlan

Re: Offer to moderate "Asian Art and Culture" - 07/08/05 09:21 PM

I am new to this forum, so my apologies if I offend with this response. I should think that an 'Asian' culture forum would have to tread carefully. There is not enough interest to warrant seperate forums on other cultures that had notable martial histories...but they don't fit anywhere else either.

Perhaps an emphasis should be on the 'art and culture' aspect, and less on geography?

Re: Offer to moderate "Asian Art and Culture" - 07/16/05 03:38 PM

Harlan! Oh no I wasn't offended! Kalaripayat is none of my business - I'm not one of those guys. I found your response interesting. I just wanted to say that I think there's a place for discussion of art (painting, photography, music, literature, etc) with a "martial" theme in a forum like this.
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: Offer to moderate "Asian Art and Culture" - 07/17/05 11:34 PM

Quote:

I would like to offer to become the moderator of the "Asian Art and Culture" section of the forum.

Ummm. I'm afraid you might call someone a fat redneck.
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: Offer to moderate "Asian Art and Culture" - 07/20/05 04:59 AM

Your kind intentions are laudable. "The Culture of Martial Arts?" or "Martial Arts & Cultural Traditions?"

In a way, the Martial Arts Talk & the Zen part of the Forum has something going on in this direction; though in both cases there is more the art of martial talking than the talking of martial art.

You don't have to be a moderator to generate interest in this area. Just post your stuff and let the market forces decide.

Re: Offer to moderate "Asian Art and Culture" - 07/26/05 09:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Ummm. I'm afraid you might call someone a fat redneck.

Only if they are one.

Re: Offer to moderate "Asian Art and Culture" - 07/26/05 09:39 AM

Butterflypalm you're right, but now that I've had the opportunity to consider this a bit more it seems to me that this forum isn't really pitched for those sorts of posts. I need to find a forum where there might be intelligent debate and a resource of shared experience. There wouldn't be any point discussing the martial aesthetic with 13-year old TKDers who need sheltering and protection from the truth about themselves.
Posted by: MAGr

Re: Offer to moderate "Asian Art and Culture" - 07/26/05 10:56 AM

I m sure you will find a forum with equally condescending knowitalls somewhere.
good luck with that and your 'intelligent' 'conversations'

Just a small suggestion, 13 yearold TKDers would not reply to posts of martial aesthetic because they are not interested in that; the people who reply to intelligent posts are intelligent people who do not always give intelligent answers but try to have conversations and debates.

Its a shame that you will not grace us with your potentially riveting threads!

Where is the 'rolleyes' face when you need it!?
Posted by: harlan

Re: Offer to moderate "Asian Art and Culture" - 07/26/05 11:01 AM

MG26:

I am sorry to hear that you are reconsidering contributing to this site. I think that if you want to participate in a certain type of discourse...that you must take responsibility for starting it, nourishing it, and be able to grow with it. Like my momma used to say...'you gotta write letters to get letters.'