I was insulted in forums

Posted by: alskef

I was insulted in forums - 05/25/05 09:50 AM

Hello:
I was insulted in self-defense forum by SANCHIN31..
and that's because I ask a question.. he described my posts by ridiculous!!
do you fight ARABIC members here?
were my posts ridiculous? or the real reason is that I am from Syria?
Posted by: JoelM

Re: I was insulted in forums - 05/25/05 09:59 AM

alskef, nobody knew you are from syria, that would not factor in with sanchin's response. Yes, many of your posts are ridiculous.
Posted by: RangerG

Re: I was insulted in forums - 05/25/05 10:06 AM

I know Sanchin to be a balanced and respectful person, however he is direct and honest in his responses. I am quite sure there is not bias towards your nationality.

I would humbly submit that you may wish to reconsider your complaint.
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: I was insulted in forums - 05/25/05 10:15 AM

Thanks guys.

alskef,
Let me make it perfectly clear that nothing but the words in your posts has any effect on my moderation. The thread is still there if anyone wants to take a gander.

Re: I was insulted in forums - 05/25/05 03:20 PM

In Arabic language, when you tell a person that he or his speech is ridiculous, that means he is undesirable...
Am I undesirable?
Posted by: oldman

Re: I was insulted in forums - 05/25/05 03:26 PM

I would like to reassure you that you are a desirable member.
Posted by: Kintama

Re: I was insulted in forums - 05/25/05 05:09 PM

Hi alskef ...I also had a tough time when I first started.

You know what I did? I kept reading and I actually learned something! can you imagine that?! It's been a ridiculous AND desireable experience.

A very happy story to you, my friend.

Re: I was insulted in forums - 05/25/05 06:23 PM

thank you my friend...
what I am wonder is that way they are talking with me...
I am moderator in startimes2.com forums for 3 years.. I read ridiculous posts but I'd never said to anybody that he is rediculous!
In Arabic, it's like you are saying: "you are silly and stupid"
that's why I got sad
Posted by: Kintama

Re: I was insulted in forums - 05/25/05 09:24 PM

your translation is basically correct. rediculous means 'silly' or 'not making any sense'.

rediculous does NOT always mean 'stupid', and it never means you are 'not desireable'; but it could mean your opinion right now is 'not believable'.

'rediculous' is not always a bad thing, if you are trying to be funny and someone says you are 'rediculous' it is a compliment.

I think of martial art forums as sparring with words. This particular forum is kind of like light contact to the head and full contact to the body, with no kicks below the belt are allowed.

other forums (like bullshido.com) are full contact to body and head, and 'dirty fighting' is allowed.

It just depends what level of roughnes you wish to spar with words...then pick your forum.

I think this forum is a good medium, since there are good, bad, ugly and ridiculous(silly) words being throw ...with a level of civilized debate. block, dodge or counter them, it's your choice.

remember, when someone insults you it is their weakness...not yours. You can choose to be the victim and complain, or you can fight back (while keeping on topic and not insulting back) - if you fight back in a civilized manner your opinion will be more respected. You already have respect of many for being brave enough to post on a forum that is not your first language.

You seem very intellegent...you will enjoy posting here, I'm sure. good luck, have fun and learn.
-Ed
Posted by: nekogami13 V2.0

Re: I was insulted in forums - 05/25/05 10:36 PM

ridiculous

adj 1: inspiring scornful pity; "how silly an ardent and unsuccessful wooer can be especially if he is getting on in years"- Dashiell Hammett [syn: pathetic, silly] 2: completely devoid of wisdom or good sense; "the absurd excuse that the dog ate his homework"; "that's a cockeyed idea"; "ask a nonsensical question and get a nonsensical answer"; "a contribution so small as to be laughable"; "it is ludicrous to call a cottage a mansion"; "a preposterous attempt to turn back the pages of history"; "her conceited assumption of universal interest in her rather dull children was ridiculous" [syn: absurd, cockeyed, derisory, idiotic, laughable, ludicrous, nonsensical, preposterous] 3: broadly or extravagantly humorous; resembling farce; "the wild farcical exuberance of a clown"; "ludicrous green hair" [syn: farcical, ludicrous]-Dictionary.com

I believe he meant definition #2.
I believe it was an attempt to get you to think harder to come up with a good thread or post-not an attack on you as a person.

Re: I was insulted in forums - 05/26/05 04:24 AM

Thank you my friend...
It was misunderstanding and it was solved...
In my Arabic language, this word is used to insult a person.. when I saw it I wondered that.. but then I knew that there is misunderstanding between us especially when they confirmed that my posts are ridiculous.
anyway, we are all brothers here and I wish we can stay like that in future.
Thank you all
yours,
Ali Alskef
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: I was insulted in forums - 05/26/05 10:42 AM

Thankyou Ali!
Please continue to post here and enjoy the forums!
Posted by: harlan

Re: Kintama's analagy and a change in the weather - 05/26/05 11:09 AM

(Refer to above post by Kintama).

I like that analogy...a lot. While I registered at fightingarts.com almost a year ago (and e-budo, budoseek, etc.), I didn't post. Just reading, and learning. But the old forum, due to software, and atmosphere just wasn't one I was interested in participating.

Water seeks its level. There has been a definite change in the 'tone' at this forum. Perhaps it is a more relaxed mindset, new members, or the new pretty screens...but I appreciate the change in the weather.

Thanks for putting up with my newbie posts, and welcome aboard Alskef.
Posted by: Strider_Hanzo

Re: Kintama's analagy and a change in the weather - 05/26/05 04:22 PM

I think it's the pretty screens... they're so calm... it looks like whoever redesigned this forum had studied the psychological effects that colors have on people. That and the good job the moderators are doing...
Posted by: KiDoHae

Re: I was insulted in forums - 05/26/05 05:32 PM

Quote:

Thank you my friend...
It was misunderstanding and it was solved...
In my Arabic language, this word is used to insult a person.. when I saw it I wondered that.. but then I knew that there is misunderstanding between us especially when they confirmed that my posts are ridiculous.
anyway, we are all brothers here and I wish we can stay like that in future.
Thank you all
yours,
Ali Alskef

Ali, they say that life is a series of mis-communications. I do not think there was any prejudice in Sanchin31's posts.

As far as the "words" themselves are concerned there is a learning curve here, like anywhere else, welcome to our little community and it's funny ways! No harm done.
Posted by: eyrie

Re: I was insulted in forums - 05/27/05 07:28 AM

Sanchin31 can be a little brusque at times, and sometimes it can come across as condescending and sarcastic, but be assured, he means nothing by it. He is a really nice guy.

The difficulty with this medium is that it is hard to convey meaning thru words - it takes a really good writer to be able to not only convey ideas in a coherent fashion, but also bring meaning and understanding thru the written word.

Some of the members here are really good writers, but most of us are still learning how to write well - even though for some of us, English is our first language.

Yes we debate with words here, but that's all it is - words. We debate ideas and attack people's positions and hypotheses, but we don't attack the person. That's not what these forums are about. So let me assure you, that there is no racist undertone (overtone?) in what he writes.

Now that we are aware that not everyone here is from the English speaking world, I guess jokes about camels, fleas and genitalia would be in extremely poor taste.

Like they say in the ring. No hitting below the belt. No biting, no eye-gouging. Keep it clean. Make it a good fight. Now BOX!
Posted by: Belnick

Re: I was insulted in forums - 05/27/05 12:34 PM

Quote:

Now that we are aware that not everyone here is from the English speaking world, I guess jokes about camels, fleas and genitalia would be in extremely poor taste.

now?

what do you mean now ?

you thought all with non UK/american ip was banned from accessing this site ?

Re: I was insulted in forums - 05/27/05 02:45 PM

Well from time to time you get people who don't know how to write because English isn't their first language, veryf ew have stayed i believe. However predominantly there have been good English writers so yeah...... while we're on the subject of offending people no llama jokes.... or else you'll be with a very unhappy Peruvian here!!! grr
Posted by: Belnick

Re: I was insulted in forums - 05/28/05 11:30 AM

Quote:

Well from time to time you get people who don't know how to write because English isn't their first language, veryf ew have stayed i believe. However predominantly there have been good English writers so yeah...... while we're on the subject of offending people no llama jokes.... or else you'll be with a very unhappy Peruvian here!!! grr

are u talking to me ?, and why would you be offending if I said something about a lama ?, I know they spit and all....

Re: I was insulted in forums - 05/29/05 12:52 AM

I'm just trying to liven up the mood i didn't mean anything i was just replying to the thread in general, hopefully i didn't offend. As for the llama thing.... i couldn't think of any other symbol off the top of my head that would represent the country of my birth, Peru. Ahh memories...
Posted by: WildBill

Re: I was insulted in forums - 05/29/05 01:21 AM

Inspireing thread....lets share it with a few friends.

P.S. I just hadda come back n add this....I saw a Canadian navy officer in dress whites get spit on by a llama in Peru. I ran into a guy I went to school with there and his 2 sisters took 3 of us Canadain sailors on a tour of some old ruins and area around Lima, they ( the sisters) where of course hooked up with the officers, I was along trying to cut thier grass. The tour was real eye opener for an 18 year old small town island boy, specialy when the "shineing path" bunch blew up a powerstation the same night and blacked out part of Lima. Was also the first place a cop ever pointed an automatic weapon at me....over the price of a beer. He wanted 40$US...lol, he got it too, right after he stuck my military ID in his pocket and told me I could dissapear just as quickly.
I hope Lima is a nicer place now.

Re: I was insulted in forums - 05/31/05 12:07 AM

Well Lima isn't as bad but it isn't any better. If you're a foreigner then you should either have a tour guide or know some people there. If you don't you might end up walking on the wrong part of town and end up without any money.... or shoes .
p.s.: Ha that's funny that a llama spit on someone. Makes me wonder if it was provoked?
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: I was insulted in forums - 05/31/05 03:17 AM

Now I know why Iraq was 'liberated' -- "freed from bondage"

"Bondage" -- 'sexual practice that involves physically restraining' -- I remember reading about this recently in the papers, about some prisoners and their female guards.

As Shakespeare said -- "...first we kill all dictionary writers..."

Alskef, I look forward to the day when you say one of my post is ridiculous -- "inspiring scornful pity"

Re: I was insulted in forums - 05/31/05 11:57 PM

Also whatever you may say about any of my post, just don't say there are 'hilarious' --- "causing boisterous merriment and convulsive laughter"

Because if you do, I'll make a special trip to Syria and pay you a "visit", even if it means running the risk of being beheaded while passing through Iraq
Posted by: Rumble

Re: I was insulted in forums - 06/11/05 04:26 AM

As for me I like the saying sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me cause if your gonna talk the talk make sure you can back it up and walk the walk. HEHEHEHEHE

Re: I was insulted in forums - 06/11/05 11:57 PM

I always talk while I walk or is it the other way around.

Alskef should know it is better to be happy than right.
Posted by: devinw

Re: I was insulted in forums - 06/13/05 01:54 AM

I have also found Sanchin to be a balanced and respectful person. When he reminded me of the rules, he was direct and fair in his responses.

His goal was not to insult but to enforce this fourms rules.
Let's move on

Humbly posted,
Devin

Re: I was insulted in forums - 06/13/05 02:51 AM

I have noticed alot of people in this fourums are very sarcastic to new begginers of martial arts enthusiasts. Alot of new people to this forum will get there feelings hurt when they ask or reply to a question and not come back anymore. NOT ME I HOPE YOU CAN TAKE WHAT YOU DISH OUT HEHEHEHEHE

Re: I was insulted in forums - 06/13/05 04:26 AM

Do you have a special key on your keyboard that types out 'HEHEHEHEHE' after every post?

Re: I was insulted in forums - 06/13/05 05:57 PM

Quote:

Do you have a special key on your keyboard that types out 'HEHEHEHEHE' after every post?

You know it HEHEHEHEHE lol