new Search function...

Posted by: Kintama

new Search function... - 05/18/05 08:45 AM

I let some time pass since the upgrade before mentioning this...
The new search feature is less useful than the old. There seem to be artificial limitations to it's capability.

* maximum search range is 1 month?

* there is a flood control set (I'm assuming 5 minutes) ?

These boundries deter people from using search and thereby creating duplicate questions and topics.

If the max range is set to 1 year, I wouldn't mind so much of the 5minute wait. The combo of these two restrictions makes searching pretty pointless.

Thank-you for your efforts.
Posted by: Administrator

Re: new Search function... - 05/20/05 06:29 AM

Searching wide date ranges can slow the system significantly and in extreme cases could lock the system entirely until the search is completed.

We will probably loosen this up some in the near future, but we are being cautious about features that tend to increase the load on the server.

The time between searches is set at 60 seconds.

Thanks for your support.
Posted by: NickBW

Re: new Search function... - 08/31/05 04:54 PM

I was wondering why it was set up like that.

I do have a question though, after I view one of the threads that came up from searching I get some Post Data popup/error thing. Then when I go back I go all the way back to the main search page(where you type in the word to search). so basicly, after everytime I view a thread or post from searching, I have to go all the way back and put in my search words again to go back to the search results.
I must say it gets old very quickly, is there a backbotton or something on this message board to go back to the search results that I am not seeing or...?
Thanks
Posted by: MattJ

Re: new Search function... - 08/31/05 05:04 PM

Agreed, the search function needs to be much more user friendly to make it useful for people. Like Kintama, said, this will just make people post multiple threads on the same topics because they (understandably) cannot get the search function to work in a reasonable, timely manner.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: new Search function... - 08/31/05 10:37 PM

A quick fix for not having to re-search every time you look at a thread is to open the thread in a new window from the search results. You can right-click on the link and select the second option (Internet Explorer) or just hold down the Shift button when you click the link. I don't know any shortcuts for other browsers, but I know these work well for IE.

Other than that, I agree that the search function is a bit inconvenient.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: new Search function... - 09/11/05 07:34 PM

bump