which martial art form do you suggest?

Posted by: Anonymous

which martial art form do you suggest? - 10/24/04 05:15 AM

I'm female, petite and fairly strong with most of my strength in my punches and legs.I haven't done any martial arts/ self defence for years so I am pretty much a beginner.

I am looking for a 'timeless'(not here today gone tomorrow!) form of art which will concentrate on developing technique, skill, agility. It must be enjoyable, whilst disciplined and something that with improve self confidence and ultimately my ability to defend myself should I ever need to.

I am quite a focused person so has anyone got any ideas what type would be best for me??

Thanx!!

Re: which martial art form do you suggest? - 12/18/04 08:35 AM

Post in MA talk. More people read threads there that can help you.

Julayne [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Re: which martial art form do you suggest? - 12/28/04 09:05 AM

well id suggest muay thai, but thats bais on my behalf..you will gain self confidence and learn how to defend urself from it though.
Posted by: Akiba

Re: which martial art form do you suggest? - 12/28/04 09:58 AM

taijiquan is what I'd recommend after many years of training in lots of systems..

Havem't you posted this months ago though?

Re: which martial art form do you suggest? - 01/12/05 10:25 PM

well...
this is what i'd tell you for an art that will give you a reliable defense, and will definetely help you in all the areas mentioned:
learn how to box. plain and simple. over all the various arts i know and study, i use boxing most in self defense situations (although i rarely do...) if you cannot possibly avoid a fight, boxing is something that will definetly be here to stay and will help you out.
hope this helped, good luck!

Re: which martial art form do you suggest? - 01/13/05 01:19 PM

JUDO!!!

While some of the other suggestions are useful for self defense, that does not sound like your only concern.

Judo is timeless! It is based on centuries old jujutsu techniques that were refocused by Jigoro Kano in 1882. So Judo itself has been practiced for more than 120 years.

Judo develops technique, skill and agility! It is also perfect for a small person as it emphasises speed and timing to overcome strength and size.

Judo is fun! There is lots of opportunity for safe but full contact free sparring known as "randori."

Judo also contains grappling and submission techniques lacking in some of the other arts.

I have been doing Judo for over 30 years. It NEVER gets boring!

Good luck and let us know what you choose and why!

[This message has been edited by jeffbjudo (edited 01-13-2005).]

Re: which martial art form do you suggest? - 01/30/05 12:08 AM

I am an unfit/overweight male aged 47 who wishes to use a martial art to assist in gaining fitness and for all the "usual" reasons. Have enrolled in a Shotokan karate class of excellent repute in Sydney, is the style a suitable one?

Re: which martial art form do you suggest? - 01/30/05 10:35 AM

Dimmel, the best style is the one you enjoy enough to stick with. Do enough of any one of them and you will get into better shape.