Jû...dô?

Posted by: Amos Smith

Jû...dô? - 08/13/01 09:52 PM

Hello all,

I'm wondering what your take on the "dô" in jûdô means? I think it would mean different things to different people and am looking for everyone's take on this aspect of the art. I've looked up the literal definition of the suffix in Nelson's and Kanji & Kana, so my inquiry is more of a personal nature.

Thanks,

Amos Smith
Posted by: JudoSensei

Re: Jû...dô? - 08/14/01 12:48 AM

A way of life

Neil Ohlenkamp http://www.JudoInfo.com
Posted by: j_hiebert

Re: Jû...dô? - 08/15/01 03:27 AM

I also equate the Japanese term "Do" to mean "a way of life"!

Now I am curious Mr. Smith?
Dr. Jigaro Kano was fairly explicit in his reasoning about changing "jutsu/jitsu" into "Do". Have you another point of view that you would like to share with us please?

Regards
John Hiebert
Seihoku Budokai
Pensacola, FL.
Posted by: Amos Smith

Re: Jû...dô? - 08/15/01 07:07 PM

[QUOTE]Have you another point of view that you would like to share with us please?[/QUOTE]

Not at this time. I haven't really formed an opinion on the subject, but am interested to hear what others think. This subject is just something I've been thinking about recently and I don't think I know enough about it to make any substantive statements. I'll have to re-read Kodokan Judo for Jigoro Kano's take on it.

I guess the question I'm getting at is...what does "way of life" mean to you personally?

Amos Smith
Posted by: jasonc

Re: Jû...dô? - 12/11/01 02:37 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Amos Smith:
Not at this time. I haven't really formed an opinion on the subject, but am interested to hear what others think. This subject is just something I've been thinking about recently and I don't think I know enough about it to make any substantive statements. I'll have to re-read Kodokan Judo for Jigoro Kano's take on it.

I guess the question I'm getting at is...what does "way of life" mean to you personally?

Amos Smith
[/QUOTE]

Sir,
I belive as you study more and more judo you will find that it will actually influance (sp)
certian aspects of your life. Its hard to explain. I've seen school bullies who start taking
judo who actually run from fights at school they would of taken, claiming that they did't need to prove themselves and more.
Posted by: Chin-Chec

Re: Jû...dô? - 01/03/02 11:47 PM

I think that a way of life is definitly changed by any martial art you take like Judo your aspect on life is changed usally for the better like the example w/ the bullie
Posted by: CWP

Re: Jû...dô? - 09/13/02 07:23 PM

I was taught that the -jutsu suffix signified a fighting art. The -do signifies a philisophical element, or a way of life.
Posted by: Geoff

Re: Jû...dô? - 02/08/03 04:09 PM

to me, "do" means "method" and "Ju" means flexible or constantly under review - so Judo is an exercise that requires constant awareness and concenration, It's not a particularly spiritual or esoteric undertaking, the practice of judo is a fun activity and an excentric but enjoyable way to spend an evening with friends.