Broken Finger Techniques

Posted by: Brewer

Broken Finger Techniques - 04/25/01 10:04 PM

Hello,
I was wondering how many Judoka out there have had broken fingers caused by lapel grabing techniques.Either by getting them snapped and broken or by twisting them until they broke in an attempt to complete a throw, or by having them get caught up in your training partners GI top.Any of these types of situations are fine to talk about I'm just interested in the situation.
Your Brother in the Arts
Posted by: JabonnF

Re: Broken Finger Techniques - 10/24/01 07:47 PM

I have had more injuries from Karate than Judo so far. I don't think I have ever thought I might get my finger broken during a throw as much as an ankle or wrist.

I felt a lot or strain on my wrist during a morote grip throw. I didn't get my elbow under to add power to the throw. I ended up getting thrown in the process.

In karate we use the makiwara, jars, small bean bag, and the heavy bag to strenthen the fingers, hands, and wrists.

Just my two cents worth.
Posted by: gus

Re: Broken Finger Techniques - 06/13/02 05:10 PM

I learned the hard way.(not the right way)i call it the death grip.where you wrap your ers on the lapel.your opponent just grabs his/her lapel.it comes free and so does skin from your lower end of your didgets.same wtthchoking waza.best way is to press your fingers and thumb.as if you were squeezing a tube of tooth paste.and use your wrists to move your opponent.old windy gus
Posted by: CWP

Re: Broken Finger Techniques - 09/13/02 07:04 PM

Never broken a finger, but like Gus said, I've lost alot of skin off the digits.