Welcome

Posted by: JudoSensei

Welcome - 07/30/00 10:45 AM

Welcome to the Judo forum. This discussion group will cover all aspects of Judo including training tips, competition, principles of Judo, how to choose a Judo class, etc. Feel free to ask a question or share a comment with other online students and teachers. Also, if you don't know anything about Judo, this is the place to ask.

Leave a post and let me know what you want to discuss.

Neil Ohlenkamp
Posted by: Midael

Re: Welcome - 08/12/00 11:05 PM

Ohlencamp Sensei,
I have a Question.
Would you say it is better for the beginer to
learn throwing techniques while moving thus learning to use the momentum in the throw, or
to begin practice in a Static posture IE..
Just standing still and executing the throw?

Thank you,

Tom Ross
Posted by: JudoSensei

Re: Welcome - 08/15/00 08:29 PM

Good question. Most throws work best when applied at the right time while the opponent is moving, so they must be mastered with motion. Students must practice their throws while moving in a dynamic situation and this is really the purpose of randori (free practice). If you are able to do throws while moving, then practice them that way. The problem is that this is difficult for many and is not considered a beginning skill.

Most beginning students have difficulty learning the proper body position, kuzushi, and foot placement and it usually helps to limit the variables at first by practicing with a partner who is standing still. Of course this depends greatly on the type of throw being practiced since some require movement to be performed at all. Often students become frustrated when they are unable to coordinate their movements with their partner's (who is also a beginner) and apply a new technique at the same time.

In general I have found the best success with teaching the average beginner to do throws while standing still, then as soon as a basic ability is achieved move on to adding motion and common situations.
Posted by: Geoff

Re: Welcome - 02/08/03 04:54 PM

wherever possible introduce movement, people do not stand still when they play judo. A skill learnt on a partner who is not moving will need to be relearnt in order to throw a moving partner
Posted by: Lowdown

Re: Welcome - 11/02/03 05:14 AM

erm sensei?

ive heard of u on judoinfo.com and i think ur real cool and heres a question how can u do throws without gi?and u show me how?thnx!
Posted by: kempo_jujitsu

Re: Welcome - 11/02/03 06:55 AM

another question sensei o (not o sensei) [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
i know that in classical jujutsu throws are done differently for various different reasons, difference in intent and direction as well as throws while not using the gi. etc. i was wondering if you teach the "jujutsu" versions as well or stick to the more modern judo counterparts?..ie..do you teach both versions..do you teach a gi throw as done in judo and then teach them also to do it without the gi? do you see a problem crosstraining in both?
i have also heard that the original JUDO entry method was different (possibly because they were still doing old jujutsu method?) as in entering in sort of a horse stance type of thing and twisting the hips to a 45 degree angle as opposed to...more modern entering by basically drawing a square between both fighters feet and stepping and pivoting on the corners of that square and having the hips more flush with each other?
ps...i realize not all judo throws rely on the gi!
thanks!