Most successful Judo throws.

Posted by: Prizewriter

Most successful Judo throws. - 08/27/10 04:38 AM

Found this list. It is a bit dated, but it makes interesting reading. It gives a list of Ippons in Japanese High School & College Championships over a 10 year period. The number to the right of the throw indicates the number of ippons the throw registered. Interesting reading.

What you think?

http://www.bestjudo.com/article/0924/frequency-judo-techniques

NB Although there are a lot of throws in there also note there are non-throwing techniques too (e.g. pins).
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Most successful Judo throws. - 09/15/10 06:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Prizewriter
Found this list. It is a bit dated, but it makes interesting reading. It gives a list of Ippons in Japanese High School & College Championships over a 10 year period. The number to the right of the throw indicates the number of ippons the throw registered. Interesting reading.

What you think?

http://www.bestjudo.com/article/0924/frequency-judo-techniques

NB Although there are a lot of throws in there also note there are non-throwing techniques too (e.g. pins).

456 - I'd vote Osoto gari or Uchimata.
Posted by: Mark Jordan

Re: Most successful Judo throws. - 09/16/10 12:05 AM

These are the 4 important judo throws one has to learn.
Tsurikomi-goshi
Harai-goshi
Tai-otoshi
Hane-goshi
You may also want to check out the video I saw in youtube
67 Judo throws http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1464560751681788897#
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Most successful Judo throws. - 09/17/10 04:11 PM

The most effective Judo throw is the one that works at the time.
Posted by: Shi Ronglang

Re: Most successful Judo throws. - 09/17/10 04:43 PM

I fully agree with that, and the same goes for all other arts as well (my experience of judo is near to zero). To me these lists don't show which throws work best; they show which throws the adequate situation arises most often for. wink

It certainly doesn't mean such lists are useless, though: if statistics show that the iron is a more common weapon in attacks than the toaster, it definitely pleads for working an extra bit on ones iron-defense techniques (doesn't mean that toaster-defense techniques are less effective though... Just than the need for them arises less often). grin
Posted by: Ames

Re: Most successful Judo throws. - 09/18/10 04:13 PM

nice find prizewriter--I gotta say I'm suprised osoto gari is 3rd on the list--that's my highest percentage throw!
Posted by: 47MartialMan

Re: Most successful Judo throws. - 06/11/11 09:52 PM

I would think the most successful throws would depend on the skills of the Judoka
Posted by: Zach_Zinn

Re: Most successful Judo throws. - 06/12/11 01:35 AM

Just anecdotal..and i've only done a bit of Judo:

But pretty much everyone I know favors harai goshi and uchimata.

They seem really common in the Judo i've watched too.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Most successful Judo throws. - 02/26/12 06:19 AM

I'd like to point out that this is really more of a popularity contest than a true measure of effectiveness. It may be that some of the lower numbers are simply the result of a technique being less popular or less well known (or taught later only to higher belt ranks). You'd have to account for these other variables to ensure that you have a fair measure of effectiveness.