Ought I choose what I want, or what I can get?

Posted by: Mahat

Ought I choose what I want, or what I can get? - 05/27/10 12:51 PM

Hello everyone, I'm currently a college student, math major, and I really want to learn judo. I think it's beautiful and I'm really interested in training the way one trains in Judo. The problem is, being a college student, I have no car and the nearest reputable place is about 50 miles away. It's possible I can work and get a vehicle and insurance, but this will seriously tap into my funds both for college and Judo, and may not even be possible.

The other options are, there's a great amateur wrestling place, and I know a few people who go there and it seems fun. I'd just rather be learning Judo.

And lastly there is a Kung Fu (Wing Chun) school here in the legacy of Yip Man and the instructor and the classes seem great. I went to one and he just showed us the basic idea (Some hand trapping and escaping stuff) and then told us to pick a partner and go at it, see if it works.

Once again the problem is that I know I really want to learn judo, so do you guys think I should pick one of these? Or should I hold out for Judo? It could be more than a year or as short as a month depending on how expensive living here during the summer turns out to be.
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Ought I choose what I want, or what I can get? - 05/27/10 01:16 PM

Hello.

Wing Chun and Judo are, as you know, pretty different. You are unlikely to ever get the two confused! In that sense, doing WC won't harm you in terms of studying Judo.

On the other hand, Wrestling teaches a similar range (grappling) and for sure there is a lot of cross over between freestyle/collegiate wrestling and Judo. So if you had a base in one system, you might find learning the other that much easier.

I love Judo, but 50 miles would be too much for me to travel to study.

Your best bet is to try one of the systems available to you. Wing Chun won't impact on your Judo too much either way. A solid wrestling may improve your Judo if and when you start it.

It it were me, I'd need to be doing something to keep myself active that involves working with and against other people. So I would do either WC or Wrestling rather than nothing! Thats just me though.
Posted by: Kathryn

Re: Ought I choose what I want, or what I can get? - 05/30/10 01:51 PM

If it helps as a comparison, the places I've trained at have several students who regularly travel two hours to get there. It really isn't considered unusual. Also, some schools allow students to stay overnight in exchange for housekeeping duties.
Posted by: Taison

Re: Ought I choose what I want, or what I can get? - 06/02/10 10:30 AM

Might be too slow, but if the place where they teach wrestling is teaching freestyle or collegiate, then that would be great.

Just for your information, when it comes to grappling, wrestling has the best holds and positioning work of all the grappling styles.

What you learn in wrestling, will make you a beast in Judo.
What you learn in judo, will make wrestlers fear to get bad position in randori.

If you combine wrestling's positioning game (controling limbs, being in dominant position, shifting your opponent's balance) with Judo's throws that's just great.

In my opinion, Judo should be without gi...

-Donnie out

Re: Ought I choose what I want, or what I can get? - 06/02/10 10:44 AM

What this kid is doing, is what I call the ultimate form of Judo/Wrestling. A blend that is just like an addictive drug, the finest of wines;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk5zqbH1GBU

He's displaying not only judo throws, but dominant positioning, the application of no-gi fighting.

To bad he hasn't learn to use judo throws from the whizzer or underhook, and he doesn't know how to use the 'bang'.

-Donnie out

Re: Ought I choose what I want, or what I can get? - 06/02/10 10:45 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8qG9ePdbkU

Another one I forgot to add...