Types of Ju Jutsu/Ju Jitsu/Jiu Jitsu

Posted by: Prizewriter

Types of Ju Jutsu/Ju Jitsu/Jiu Jitsu - 03/29/09 08:02 AM

Hello All

There has been a history of threads on here where people talk about Ju Jutsu (or any of its spelling variants) on here. The term "Ju Jutsu" is pretty wide ranging in the 21st Century. I thought I would try to briefly describe (and show) the main variants of Ju Jutsu. If anyone is posting in the future, it might help if they clairfy what it is they are referring to (if they know what it is).

There are 4 categories: Koryu (Classical Japanese systems), Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (style that originated in Brazil in the 20th century), Western Ju Jitsu (a style that was created in the West from a variety of sources that may or may not be Japanese) & Sports Ju Jitsu (Styles that incorporate a wide range of techniques, including striking and kicking, and have competitions for technique demonstration and sparring).

Koryu

Very old Japanese systems. The unarmed section (Ju Jutsu) is usually only a part of the system. There is generally quite a lot of traditional Japanese weapon work too. It is highly unlikely any of these systems will contain free sparring of any kind.

These styles are VERY rare in todays world, and pretty hard to find outside of Japan. Below are some examples:

Tenshin Katori Shinto Ryu :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQB5Lc1C_a8&feature=related

Takenouchi-ryu:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOs4fuBRBBY

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu:

Does this even need an introduction lol? Style of Jiu Jitsu that emerged in Brazil, originally driven by the Gracie family.

Generally speaking, it focuses on ground grappling (though many clubs also train other things). It uses resistance training (sparring, aka rolling) to practice and refine technique against a "live" opponent/training partner.

It has competitions based on sparring/rolling.

Here is a more thorough look at it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVCKEbiEJNc

Western Ju Jitsu:

Next to BJJ, this is probably the most common form of Ju Jitsu in the West.

It usually comprises of striking, grappling & locking, and possibly some weapon work. Although some places include sparring, many places don't. They train using partner drills (similar to Kihon in Karate or step sparring in TKD).

As to their origins... well, it can literally be anything! Wrestling, Karate, Kickboxing, Judo, Krav Maga... anything and everthing can be lumped into a Western Ju Jitsu system. The term "Ju Jitsu" is often used in Western Ju Jitsu as it has been commonly accepted as a term in the West to describe a martial art that is based on a traditional model (e.g. bowing, belt system etc...) , even though the system in question may not have any Japanese martial material in it or any direct links to Japan.

Here are some examples:

World Ju Jitsu Federation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-gl04dfUBY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC3uk69qLhI

Sports Ju Jitsu:

A fairly recent occurence, probably inspired by MMA, Sports Ju Jitsu is pretty similar to Western Ju Jitsu in its origin and content. The main difference is that it includes sparring and competitions.

Sparring is usually similar to MMA; striking, grappling and groundwork are permitted, though certain limitations may apply.

As I said, due to the rise of MMA, popularity in this kind of Ju Jitsu seems to be on the up (based on where I live anyway!).

The main international bodies driving Sports Ju Jitsu are the Ju-Jitsu International Federation and World Council of Ju Jitsu Orginisations (see below for examples from each):

JJIF
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs1R3Kwvdpg

WCJJO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hVM4ez1Jtg

Did I miss anything? Anyone feel free to add. Of course, this is hardly an in depth look at all of the above, but if there is some input from the experienced members on here, maybe this could be considered for a sticky to help people posting in the future????
Posted by: Zach_Zinn

Re: Types of Ju Jutsu/Ju Jitsu/Jiu Jitsu - 03/29/09 02:12 PM

There is legit Koryu Jujutsu training outside of Japan, it may not be as widespread as other arts, but you make it sound like it's nigh impossible to find it anywhere in the states etc...and I don't think that's case. There are people with menkyo kaiden outside of Japan.

That said, there are a ton of frauds i'm sure teaching "samurai Jujutsu" or some such.

Also i'm not sure where you'd put these but there are arts like Danzan Ryu and it's offshoots, such as Small Circle Ju Jutsu that incorporate elements of modern arts, and koryu jujutsu.

You make it sound like all "New Jitsu" is made up, amd that's not entirely true, there are styles out there that are on some level connected to older styles, in addition to the ones that are completely synthesized from modern sources.

Re: Types of Ju Jutsu/Ju Jitsu/Jiu Jitsu - 03/29/09 02:35 PM

Hi Zach

Danzan ryu (and its offshoots) and Small Circle Ju Jitsu would be Western Ju Jitsu IMO i.e. Ju Jitsu systems with Koryu influence, but also influenced by other arts too, and created outside of Japan. I am not saying all Western Ju Jitsu are in no way connected to Japanese arts, only that in some cases there isn't a connection.

Koryu arts aren't impossible to find outside of Japan, but compared to say, Karate, Judo, TKD, Aikido, BJJ et al... they are pretty rare.
Posted by: dapatch

Re: Types of Ju Jutsu/Ju Jitsu/Jiu Jitsu - 12/14/09 06:05 AM

Nice explanation, couldn't have done better myself.
I have found two of the Koryu Ryu who use sparring, but in all honesty the padding is so thick it is impossible to use any specific technique properly.
On asking I was told the padding was a new innovation in an effort to become more PC.
The injury rate prior to this was quite high, seemingly.
I'll bet it was.
Posted by: Commander_Nitro

Re: Types of Ju Jutsu/Ju Jitsu/Jiu Jitsu - 06/01/10 01:28 AM

Combat Jujitsu is used by US Military Special Operations Forces (Spec Ops). The lightning speed of Combat Jujitsu makes it undoubtedly the world's deadliest martial art known to man, and would certainly be classified in the category of Extreme Martial Arts. For more thorough discussion please go to http://www.alljujitsu.com/combat-jujitsu.html
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: Types of Ju Jutsu/Ju Jitsu/Jiu Jitsu - 11/20/10 12:00 AM

^^^^^^^^^^
As a soldier and combatives instructor in the U.S. this is complete bull [censored].

To the OP-why put sport JJ in it's own category? BJJ and "western" JJ practioners (hell all of them) compete in sport JJ competitions.
Posted by: grego

Re: Types of Ju Jutsu/Ju Jitsu/Jiu Jitsu - 11/20/10 04:45 AM

one thing is definitly for sure at least about one man,regarding all around, kick your ***,never retreating in any situation is gene lebell,a broken nose you have for two weeks, aseperated shoulder or knee joint lasts alifetime,keep on grappling

Re: Types of Ju Jutsu/Ju Jitsu/Jiu Jitsu - 11/20/10 05:23 AM

I've wanted to play this card for a while. Thanks guys grin

Re: Types of Ju Jutsu/Ju Jitsu/Jiu Jitsu - 11/22/10 05:12 PM

Very entertaining. My question still stands. smile
Posted by: Zach_Zinn

Re: Types of Ju Jutsu/Ju Jitsu/Jiu Jitsu - 11/24/10 02:53 AM

Watch one the sport Jujutsu competitions and you'll see why, very different from BJJ ruleset..almost looks more like Daido Juku or something similar.

Re: Types of Ju Jutsu/Ju Jitsu/Jiu Jitsu - 11/26/10 09:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Stormdragon
^^^^^^^^^^
As a soldier and combatives instructor in the U.S. this is complete bull [censored].

To the OP-why put sport JJ in it's own category? BJJ and "western" JJ practioners (hell all of them) compete in sport JJ competitions.

Ok ok... there are several orgs who say they teach "sports ju jutsu" classes, such as the International Atemi JJ:

http://www.international-atemijujitsu.co.uk/sport_intro.html

If places are teaching sports JJ, why not have it as a category? The category denotes a specific approach to teaching JJ that IMO is different to the other categories listed i.e. teaching JJ as a sport. Heck, you could even consider putting Judo in to the category of sports JJ.
Posted by: mukashimantis

Re: Types of Ju Jutsu/Ju Jitsu/Jiu Jitsu - 11/26/10 12:02 PM

IMO, a martial art is considered self defense when it contains techniques/methods to defend against:
1. Multiple attackers
2. Weapons; gun,knife, stick/bat, sword ,etc.
3. Fighting in areas other than a ring.(e.g. small space such as closet, elevator,car,-dangerous areas such as rooftops and stairwells.
4. Training focuses on self defense, not ring bouts, therefore, tapping out is not recognized as submission.
5. Sparring/randori is not limited to one's weightclass.
I'm sure this list could go on, but I think you get my point.

Re: Types of Ju Jutsu/Ju Jitsu/Jiu Jitsu - 12/08/10 09:59 AM

From reading about it on that link you gave, it sounds more like an extension or side note to their traditional ju jutsu training. Not so much a basis for an entire approach to JJ. Could be wrogn though. And I had never heard of that, which is why I asked the question.