HOW MANY TYPES OF JUDO ARE THERE?

Posted by: Dobbersky

HOW MANY TYPES OF JUDO ARE THERE? - 12/24/08 08:43 AM

All

I am looking for your guidance

I have started Judo (1 lesson) and was told there are no strikes involved then I saw goshin jutsu kata performed on you tube by kodokan judoka. Read more into it via the google search button.

This has lead me to believe there are different schools of judo offering different things. Am I correct?

Does Judo have strikes or not, or is it dependant on the Instructor you have?

Thanks for you guidance and thoughts

Posted by: Neko456

Re: HOW MANY TYPES OF JUDO ARE THERE? - 12/24/08 12:00 PM

Quote:

All

I am looking for your guidance

I have started Judo (1 lesson) and was told there are no strikes involved then I saw goshin jutsu kata performed on you tube by kodokan judoka. Read more into it via the google search button.

This has lead me to believe there are different schools of judo offering different things. Am I correct?

Does Judo have strikes or not, or is it dependant on the Instructor you have?

Thanks for you guidance and thoughts

Not only are there many brnaches of Judo there are usually two type Judo courses within the Art of Judo one is competitive the other more self defense verse. In modren times most dojo are more sport orinatted but being full resistance still useable in the right situation.

How old are you? I'd strecht alot and build up my ligaments with weight training and the dojo's exercises requirement. Judo is a rough and tumble art of controlling your opponents body and he yours.

Most sport Judo classes don't teach strikes this is more the self defense or combat side and closer to Jujitsu. The Combat/sd Judo part of the course will teach safe entry setup skills the main difference I see in Judo vs. JJ is that Judo tries to end things with a throw, JJ tries to end thing before or within the throw.

Funny thing is that BJJ concentrates more on the ground work of Judo (they work some of other things too), not used much in JJ unless they were capturing someone to be behead in front of the head of the Samuria klan, otherwise they just brough the head.

By the way I don't know how many different branches of Judo there are. I wonder if it even manners most only offer Judo with a twist or not.
Posted by: Supremor

Re: HOW MANY TYPES OF JUDO ARE THERE? - 12/25/08 07:09 PM

The simple answer is no, there are no strikes in judo. There may be some schools that are self defense oriented and include some striking, BUT the vast majority(as in 99.9%) of judo schools teach no striking whatsoever. They are dedicated to the sport of judo which is throws on the feet, and pins, strangles and arm locks on the ground.

If you're looking for strikes with grappling then jujitsu is a better bet, but I advise you not to overlook Judo. The training is full-on and is a fantastic preparation for fighting because each person can go 100% effort all the time. It is, as Neko said, a rough sport which can lead to lots of injuries, indeed I have seen many more injuries in judo classes than in kickboxing and taekwon-do ones.
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: HOW MANY TYPES OF JUDO ARE THERE? - 12/26/08 07:21 AM

Hi Ken

As Supermor said, most Judo classes nowadays aren't going to teach any striking. The striking taught in Kodokan Goshin Jutsu is simulated anyway (i.e. they don't actually hit each other properly).

Regarding Kata in Judo, most modern clubs don't bother with in in the UK until students are at a high level. Personally I think this is madness .

Regarding "types" of Judo, there is basically one kind of Judo. There are variations on the way it is taught e.g. Kosen Judo focus on Ne Waza, or some clubs teaching Kata and Randori, but essentially they are all teaching Judo. I read an interview with a Kosen Judo Sensei in Japan. He said that Kosen Judo was a different approach to Kodokan Judo, but they still taught Kodokan Judo.

There are some orginizations in the UK outside the British Judo Association who teach Judo. The BJA are sports orientated Judo. The British Judo Council and the Zen Judo Family teach traditional Judo, with more emphasis on kata.

In fact, Zen Judo have a club in the Greater Manchester Area:

http://zenjudo.co.uk/content-3.html

I've trained with the ZJF club in Ireland. They are fantastic for a traditional approach to Judo. They better understood the principles of Judo and were better able to educate people on these principles. And the knowledge on kata was first class.

This may be more up your street. One more point about the traditional Judo class I noted: They didn't have a single injury in the few classes I attended. This is increbibly unusual when compared to a sports Judo class. They still did great randori, but they didn't seem to have any injuries. That said they spent about 20-30 minutes on ukemi, so that may be a factor.

Hope this helps.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: HOW MANY TYPES OF JUDO ARE THERE? - 01/02/09 01:46 PM

So-called "old-school" judo taught strikes (atemi) that are much less sophisticated than karate. In fact, the popular key chain accessory (Kubotan) is based on the so-called "Judo-stick" or Yawara. The Yawara could be used in offensive as well as defensive techniques & nerve/pressure point strikes/techniques.

The strikes gradually de-evolved due to the competitive nature of Judo vis-a-vis Olympics. Japanese Ju-jutsu kept the strikes & low-line kicks. You'll look long & hard to find a Judo dojo that uses atemi in anything other than kata.
Posted by: Kodokan_Judoka

Re: HOW MANY TYPES OF JUDO ARE THERE? - 02/08/09 03:33 PM

Quote:

The simple answer is no, there are no strikes in judo. There may be some schools that are self defense oriented and include some striking, BUT the vast majority(as in 99.9%) of judo schools teach no striking whatsoever. They are dedicated to the sport of judo which is throws on the feet, and pins, strangles and arm locks on the ground.

If you're looking for strikes with grappling then jujitsu is a better bet, but I advise you not to overlook Judo. The training is full-on and is a fantastic preparation for fighting because each person can go 100% effort all the time. It is, as Neko said, a rough sport which can lead to lots of injuries, indeed I have seen many more injuries in judo classes than in kickboxing and taekwon-do ones.

Lest we forget the Atemi Waza, Kodokan Judo has a set of striking techniques that are rarely taught by anyone and when you learn them for the first time you usually have a huge number of years under your belt. Enough years where you no longer consider the color of your belt of relevance in any conversation.
Posted by: Kodokan_Judoka

Re: HOW MANY TYPES OF JUDO ARE THERE? - 02/08/09 03:34 PM

It only hurts for a second!
Posted by: fileboy2002

Re: HOW MANY TYPES OF JUDO ARE THERE? - 03/31/09 12:36 PM

There are some variations, but you'll be hard pressed to find them.

Remember: judo is first and foremost a sport. The overwhelming majority of dojos focus on training students to compete in judo tournaments.

Can judo be used for self-defense? Sure, much as a boxer might use his or her skills in a street fight. But that is not what most judo dojos are primarily interested in.

Re: HOW MANY TYPES OF JUDO ARE THERE? - 04/01/09 01:42 PM

Fileboy is right. It is very rare to find any Judo classes that teach atemi.

I remember reading Kodokan Judo by Jirgo Kano. If I compare the content of the book to the modern Judo classes, much of what is in the book has been dispensed with. Things like Kata and Atemi don't feature much in most Judo clubs today. As Fileboy said, for most people and clubs Judo is a sport. Atemi isn't allowed under modern randori rules, so most places aren't going to train it.
Posted by: Ames

Re: HOW MANY TYPES OF JUDO ARE THERE? - 04/01/09 05:56 PM

I agree that a lot of the lack of atemi training in modern Judo relates to it being trained mostly for sport now. That being said, the atemi that is present in the kata's...well maybe there is another reason why many don't train it, lol. I think Judoka's simply realized that the strongest part of Judo is the throws, and, more importantly, the method of training those throws. I also think that that was the birth of the sport movement in Judo. In other words, modern Judo in the way it is, not because it lost it's self defense roots, but rather because it was distilled closer to its essence, at least that is the way I see it. I very much doubt that those who encouraged shiai to be a bigger part of Judo thought they were weakening the art.

I also think that modern Judo promotes self defense skills much more rapidly than many 'combat' or 'battle field' oriented JJ systems, and those s.d. skills are brought about on a more consistent, standardized level (due to a lot of randori, and the overall pedagogical approach).

--Chris
Posted by: Taison

Re: HOW MANY TYPES OF JUDO ARE THERE? - 04/04/09 01:14 AM

If judo focused more on strikes, then what difference would there be between kano's judo and the other jjj ryu's?

Hence.. he had to discourage striking.

~Donnie out

Re: HOW MANY TYPES OF JUDO ARE THERE? - 04/04/09 06:00 AM

Hey Taison, long time no see!!! Good to hear from you.
Posted by: DokanDojo

Re: HOW MANY TYPES OF JUDO ARE THERE? - 04/05/09 01:29 AM

Some spread styles of Judo in Europe:
* Kodokan
* Gleeson method
* Kosen
* Kawashi
Posted by: Taison

Re: HOW MANY TYPES OF JUDO ARE THERE? - 04/11/09 12:11 AM

*waves*

~Donnie
Posted by: Commander_Nitro

Re: HOW MANY TYPES OF JUDO ARE THERE? - 06/01/10 01:52 AM

The primary training methods of Judo are (1) kata, which was a main attribute Kano took from Kito ryu, means "form," and is a system of prearranged movements that teach the fundamentals of attack and defense. In addition to throwing and holding (also practiced in randori), it originally included hitting, kicking, stabbing, slashing and a number of other weapons techniques.(2) randori, the standard training method of Tenjin-Shinyo ryu. means "free practice", or "freestyle exercise". Partners pair off and vie with each other as they would in an actual match. They may throw, pin, choke and apply joint locks, but they may not hit, kick or employ other techniques appropriate only to actual combat. The main conditions in randori are that participants take care not to injure each other and that they follow judo etiquette. Randori might be considered the Judo version of sparring.