Jujitsu uniforms

Posted by: schanne

Jujitsu uniforms - 12/17/08 04:31 PM

Traditional Jujitsu Instructors/sempai's...do you like your students to wear the 15 & 20 oz uniforms for throws and chokes etc vs the regular old 8 oz karate gi's...comments? I wear a regular 12 oz century gi top and was told the jujitsu uniform doesn't tie inside so you can manuver choke better?
Posted by: bo-ken

Re: Jujitsu uniforms - 12/18/08 01:01 PM

I tell my students to buy whatever gi they feel comfortable wearing as long as its white. Most of them wear 8 or 12 oz. gi's.

I have a Judo gi and your right it doesn't have ties on the inside. It's easy to pull out and use as an extra 'weapon' but I really like it because there are no ties to ripe. Also, they are good for improving your grip strength cause its such a hard material to hold onto.
Posted by: schanne

Re: Jujitsu uniforms - 12/19/08 09:39 AM

That's my point, maybe our students should start wearing them as well so they have all the benefits you stated. I am going to buy one after my 12 oz-er wears out. Starting to get back to basics, lots of throws and take downs etc ,I know it's going to kill me in the summer when it's hot but who gives a Sh%$t.....I noticed there not cheap either. Have a nice Holiday!
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Jujitsu uniforms - 01/02/09 01:52 PM

*I'm not a judo/jujutsu instructor but...

here's the most important thing in my book (aside from durability) - a thinner/lt-wt. Gi will cut into your neck more than a thicker/hvy-wt gi during certain gi-chokes. That means, it's harder to use your chin as a defensive option.
Posted by: BrainsOverBraun

Re: Jujitsu uniforms - 01/28/09 01:08 AM

I have been in jujitsu for 15 years. I have worn hyashi, kenpo, atama, tiger claw, keiko raca, lucky, and padilla. Each have different qualities that I liked and didn't like. In jujitsu, you don't want a gi that is baggy around your waste. We do a lot of techniques with feet moving around our hips and sides so you don't want someone getting caught up in your gi. Also, for competition the sleeves must be no more than about 3 finger widths from your wrist and loose enough so 4 fingers can fit vertically in the gap between your sleeve and wrist. I'm currently wearing a submission addiction gi (from www.submissionaddiction.com). Along with a great fit, each gi is anti-fungal/anti-bacterial so it won't hold germs from the less than clean training mats. And I got two pairs of pants with it. Pretty sweet since I blow the knees out of my pants ever six months with the amount of training we do on the ground. Hopefully, you understood the competition requirements let me know if I need to explain them in a differnt way.