Icho Yama Ryu Aiki JuJutsu

Posted by: JasonM

Icho Yama Ryu Aiki JuJutsu - 04/08/08 02:20 PM

Anyone practice or know of this style? And know of Dave Lamond?

http://www.ichoyamaryu.com/

Thanks,
Posted by: JAMJTX

Re: Icho Yama Ryu Aiki JuJutsu - 04/08/08 06:19 PM

The web site certainly makes it sound interesting.
He listed some big names and the Kodo Kai so it is real easy to check him out with them.

You can probably contact Roy Goldberg Sensei through the forums at aikidojournal
Since his name is on the site I'm sure he'll be more than happy to vouch for his student or eagerly deny it if it's not true. But I would venture to say that, given how easy it is to check into the statements made on the site, that it is accurate and you are likely to get good training there.

If you can't find contact info for Goldberg Sensei to verify, get back to me here and I'll track that down for you. But he's a pretty visible guy so you should not have any problems finding him.

Re: Icho Yama Ryu Aiki JuJutsu - 04/09/08 12:21 AM

Cool.

I figured, man what I got to loose since his classes are include in my gym membership. I never knew..:-)
Posted by: bigeasy

Re: Icho Yama Ryu Aiki JuJutsu - 08/19/08 08:37 AM

Yeah, I've been to one of his sessions. He's a cool guy and has alot to offer but, he's a little long winded and speaks alot about Ibarra and Pereira as though they're idols or living god's than speaking about himself. The classes are about 2 hours long and 45 minutes of that is talking and martial folk tales (speaks of aiki as some sort of mystical sphere of energy ).

Though Lamond knows Daito Ryu, he does not teach it so, don't get caught up in that hype. Though Lamond has an impressive resume' and is known throughout the east coast, he is truly only Nidan (2nd Degree). Not saying you cannot learn anything or to say that he's lacking but, you would prefer an instructor to be at least Sandan (3rd)to be able to bring student to the rank of Shodan.

The only reason why I'm not one of his current students is because I live in Richmond and Fredericksburg is an hour away and is too long for me to travel especailly during the "off work" hours but, if you live nearby and have an american family fitness membership to boot, then go right ahead and enjoy....and enjoy the folktales

Re: Icho Yama Ryu Aiki JuJutsu - 08/19/08 09:52 AM

thanks for the info.

I do have a membership and figure I will check him out this Friday. Hopefully, i don't experience long tales. But I did peek in on a class and it looks like they were constantly training.
Posted by: bigeasy

Re: Icho Yama Ryu Aiki JuJutsu - 08/24/08 01:09 AM

So, how was the class?