Are Elastic Pants Safe?

Posted by: celest

Are Elastic Pants Safe? - 04/07/08 11:26 AM

Hi there,

I'm thinking of getting a new blue single-weave ju-jitsu gi, since my current white one is already 2 years old and is a little small now.

However, the blue ju-jitsu gi that my friend recommended comes with elastic-band pants instead of drawstring pants. Is it advisable to wear elastic-band pants or would drawstring pants be better?

I play groundwork a lot, by the way and so far, nothing has happened when I train with my drawstring pants
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Are Elastic Pants Safe? - 04/07/08 12:14 PM

I prefer drawstring. I don't trust elastic for groundwork, as there is too much chance of *ahem* exposure.
Posted by: JAMJTX

Re: Are Elastic Pants Safe? - 04/07/08 01:23 PM

Not just the "exposure" problem.
I just don't like the elastic. They tend to feel too tight on me. You get better control over the fit with the draw string. The elastic could potentially restrict blood flow, etc. This should not be a major concern but is one potential of elastic.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Are Elastic Pants Safe? - 04/07/08 07:03 PM

As long as it's not too tight elastic shouldn't be a problem.

My judogi is the first I've owned with a drawstring. It keeps coming undone on me and I'm constantly adjusting it. If people would stop jerking around on my gi it wouldn't be a problem.
Posted by: Ives

Re: Are Elastic Pants Safe? - 04/08/08 04:59 AM

Most pants with elastic also come with a cord inside it. My dogi have that. So if the elastic looses elasticity, the cord hold's 'm up.