How long was it before your first tournament?

Posted by: aikiuke

How long was it before your first tournament? - 10/05/07 03:17 PM

Just wondering since I am now an aspiring Judoka, how long were you in Judo (or Jujitsu for that matter) before your first competition and what did you think of it/how did you do?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: How long was it before your first tournament? - 10/05/07 04:05 PM

While I do BJJ not judo, a few folks in my class with <6 months experience have competed. Most lose the first tourney. I haven't competed yet myself after almost 2 years.
Posted by: Taison

Re: How long was it before your first tournament? - 10/05/07 09:36 PM

Hey,

Me? I didn't enter a judo tourney, but I did enter a grappling tourney after 4 months. Lost miserably, but heck, it was worth it.

It depends actually. Some people are just born talented and can enter after 2-3 month and do quite well. Some people are so dense and daft, even when they're a black belt, they still don't want/shouldn't enter a tourney.

Aikiuke, I'd say, seeing as you have been in Aikido for a couple of years (5 years?) you could enter at around 4 months or so and have very little problem.

Just remember, don't go around doing wristlocks on them judo-ka even though it's effective when they grab you (it's a sport, not self-defense )

Need any tips and tricks, feel free to ask.

-Taison out
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: How long was it before your first tournament? - 10/06/07 08:07 AM

http://www.illinoisjudo.org/Events.htm

You will see from the above that there is something called the Wolf Jr Open in your neck of the woods this month. Not to sure if this is for youngsters, or if it is for those with little Judo experience. But it does raise an interesting point...

Most Judo orginizations I have heard of usually run a tournament for beginner/intermediate students.

Here in Ireland there was a lack of such tournaments until recently. There is now an annual comp for those 3rd kyu and below. It is further divided into groups based on gender, weight/size and rank.

I would ask your sensei if there were such a tournament you could enter. If there is, 6 months or so of Judo should see you as ready as anyone.
Posted by: aikiuke

Re: How long was it before your first tournament? - 10/10/07 11:28 AM

Thanks guys, I probably wont compete until at least 6 months unless sensei says otherwise.
I mostly asked because I wanted to make sure it's possible to compete within a year's time since I don't know if I'll be able to continue next year since I'll hopefully be transferring again.
I still have a long way to go though, but I'm obviously looking forward to it.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: How long was it before your first tournament? - 10/10/07 11:07 PM

There is a tournament coming up in January here. Although I have only been to five classes I'm going to see if he wants me to compete.

Think that's a good idea?
Posted by: Taison

Re: How long was it before your first tournament? - 10/11/07 01:38 AM

It's a start!

-Taison out
Posted by: jjmpt24

Re: How long was it before your first tournament? - 10/11/07 04:58 PM

I feel it was 3 months before I started competing in judo tourneys. I had wrestled in the past (it helpd a little). I entered black belt and as a novice to see how well I would do. I actually did better in Black than novice (most likely beginners luck). My first black belt match was over in 6 seconds by a foot sweep (though he was a world competitor).