First BJJ class

Posted by: gojuwarrior1

First BJJ class - 08/20/07 02:50 PM

Going to a trial BJJ class tonight. Its a new school that opened in my area and teached BJJ and Muay Thai (Its about time!). Let you guys know how it turned out. Oss
Posted by: oldman

Re: First BJJ class - 08/20/07 02:55 PM

I imagine you are going to have a great time.

Re: First BJJ class - 08/20/07 03:06 PM

Oh yes, been waiting for some BJJ and Muay Thai. Need to work on my ground skills.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: First BJJ class - 08/20/07 03:34 PM

Have fun, Jordan. I wish there was MMA around where I live. But BJJ is fun. Enjoy.

Re: First BJJ class - 08/20/07 10:26 PM

Ok back from my first BJJ experiance. Man what a workout! I learned a few escapes from the guard and some basic sweeps( o-soto geri and uchi mata). Then we rolled a few times and man let me tell you, i'm a powerful dude but that does not matter in BJJ. I would hold my ground and my balance was superb but as soon as they threw me, which eventually happened, they had their way with me. I felt helpless.

I'll tell ya one thing NONE of my karate techniques worked on the ground ( but we werent allowed to strike, lucky them, lol). These guys were good. I may stay with it if the guy doesnt charge too much. I def. want to get my black belt in BJJ.

Re: First BJJ class - 08/21/07 01:33 PM

Quote:

I'll tell ya one thing NONE of my karate techniques worked on the ground ( but we werent allowed to strike, lucky them, lol). These guys were good. I may stay with it if the guy doesnt charge too much. I def. want to get my black belt in BJJ.

Yeah, that was pretty much my experience when learning groundfighting initally. Some concepts are similar, and some are COMPLETELY different. It takes a while to get used to!
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: First BJJ class - 08/21/07 01:35 PM

No doubt!

A good BJJ guy will really steal your confidence away quickly. I've been training for about 14 years now but the first time I rolled with a BJJ BB, I felt like I was fighting with my hands, legs, and lungs tied behind my back.

Definately tough guys. But on a side note, I talked to a few grapplers who said the first time they took a stand up class where they had to do alot of kicking, they kinda felt the same way. Different movements with emphasis on different muscles; you will adapt.

Re: First BJJ class - 08/21/07 03:02 PM

Yeah no doubt, i learn fast but its amazing how little being strong means on the ground...suprised the heck out of me. Oh Btw the guy wants to charge me $50 a month for one day a week (due to school) and $65 for 2 days a week (when school lets out). Now i am used to paying next to nothing for 4 days a week at my dojo, so i,m not up to date on tuitions. Is this good or a rip off. I'm leaning towards rip off.

Re: First BJJ class - 08/21/07 03:11 PM

Suppose it depends where you are and the quality of the instruction. Is it private, semi-private, group? Around here ( LA area ) that's probably lower than the average range. But elsewhere it might be high.

Re: First BJJ class - 08/21/07 03:46 PM

I guess you can call it semi private. The quality seems too be good because i can't beat the guy . But the $ part just seems a little extreme.

Re: First BJJ class - 08/21/07 04:00 PM

Supply and demand my friend, supply and demand.

Re: First BJJ class - 08/21/07 04:24 PM

$50/month for one day a week is not bad for BJJ.
Posted by: medulanet

Re: First BJJ class - 08/21/07 04:41 PM

Quote:

Yeah no doubt, i learn fast but its amazing how little being strong means on the ground...suprised the heck out of me.

You obviously don't watch MMA much. Ever seen Sean Sherk fight? His grappling skill is excellent of course, but he is able to use his strength very effectively. What about Quinton "Rampage" Jackson? In no gi strength is much more useful than in gi. In fact, that's what I hate about most pure BJJ schools these days, they usually have very few no gi classes. Why do yo think wrestlers adapt very well to no gi BJJ and MMA? They usually have superior strength and conditioning. Especially in MMA. The wrestling and BJJ are different when it comes to fighting and not just grappling. Believe me, strength can be a BIG factor.

Re: First BJJ class - 08/21/07 05:40 PM

Med -

You were obviously too eager to put Goju down. He was referring to strength compared to technique. No one is arguing that strength is not a factor. But a good technical advantage will render strength far less valuable.

Or do you not remember the early UFCs?

Re: First BJJ class - 08/21/07 06:14 PM

Right, you mean when no one signed to fight knew any BJJ except for Gracie. I remember an exceptionally strong Hawaiian fighter who rendered Royce's body useless after a fight. Had he been properly versed in the basics of BJJ at that time the outcome might have been very different. The thing is many people always talk about strength's ineffectiveness in dealing with a BJJ guy. Sure it is if you play their game, pull guard, fight from you back, and wear straight jackets (gi) that does not rip and allow him to tie you up in it. However, if they taught you to counter submissions properly from day one, obtain good positions when on bottom to escape to your feet, dominate from top position so you would be able to obtain submissions or whatever you wanted, then things might look very different. I'm not saying you would be submitting black and brown belts with 3 months training, but a solid blue belt might not looks so solid.

Re: First BJJ class - 08/21/07 06:28 PM

Quote:

Right, you mean when no one signed to fight knew any BJJ except for Gracie.

Exactly! Similar to the situation that Goju is describing for himself.

Quote:

I remember an exceptionally strong Hawaiian fighter who rendered Royce's body useless after a fight.

The fight that the Hawaiian guy (Kimo Leopoldo) lost by submission, you mean?

Quote:

Had he been properly versed in the basics of BJJ at that time the outcome might have been very different.

Again, my point exactly. Technique>strength

Quote:

The thing is many people always talk about strength's ineffectiveness in dealing with a BJJ guy.

Who says that? Not any BJJ people that I know. Strength IS a factor. Just like anywhere else. Skill is a leveraging point, not magic.

Quote:

Sure it is if you play their game, pull guard, fight from you back, and wear straight jackets (gi) that does not rip and allow him to tie you up in it. However, if they taught you to counter submissions properly from day one, obtain good positions when on bottom to escape to your feet, dominate from top position so you would be able to obtain submissions or whatever you wanted, then things might look very different. I'm not saying you would be submitting black and brown belts with 3 months training, but a solid blue belt might not looks so solid.

Wait......what? So strength is effective if you know how to play the other guy's game? That's pretty much what I have been saying. It takes a lot of one to overcome a lot of the other.

Re: First BJJ class - 08/21/07 06:34 PM

Matt, I think you are confused. I didn't disagree with what you are saying in regard to BJJ. It was gojuwarrior who said strength was not a factor. I disagreed with him. He said being strong means little on the ground. This statement, which you seem to agree, is obviously not true.

Re: First BJJ class - 08/21/07 06:51 PM

Whoa wait a minute (funny how stuff cant be expressed that well over the internet). Yes, i should have said that strength doesnt matter if the person appliing it dont know the game. Once I get the leverage and timing down i will be just as good but coming into a BJJ school just relying on strength will get u nowhere without technique, I learned that last night.

Re: First BJJ class - 08/21/07 06:59 PM

I think med just likes to fight so much that he finds them in places where they aren't

Re: First BJJ class - 08/21/07 11:26 PM

Goju,
I had been doing BJJ for about three months before I got to roll with a BJJ black belt. It was Ricardo Almeida a Renzo Gracie student. It is hard to describe what it feels like if you have not been there. Completely effortless on his part. The only way I can explain it was that it is like me wrestling my poodle.