Republishing old Jiujitsu manuals

Posted by: profbillymiller

Republishing old Jiujitsu manuals - 07/09/07 01:56 PM

Hello everyone.

In the early 20th century, there appears to have been an explosion in interest in Jiujitsu (originally spearheaded by Barton-Wright, of whom more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_William_Barton-Wright.

...and continued until the First World War temporarily reduced interest in hand-to-hand arts. For many of us accustomed to "mixed" fights in the modern context, it is interesting that there many matches between visiting Jiujitsuka and Western boxers and wrestlers. Since there were still quite a few styles of pre-Judo Jiujitsu making their way over, the offerings were fairly diverse in technique and approach...and several might still have a few tricks or concepts that would be useful today.

I've already managed to republish one of them, and I wondered if there are any particular manuals (or types of manuals) that you guys would like me to convert and republish.
Posted by: JoshuaMonjin

Re: Republishing old Jiujitsu manuals - 07/16/07 11:44 PM

How do copyright laws apply to what you are trying to do? Do you have a website? And are you just scanning old copies and then using a pc printer to publish them? Also what specifilly have you managed to "republish"?
Posted by: SamW

Re: Republishing old Jiujitsu manuals - 07/17/07 09:10 AM

Quote:

How do copyright laws apply to what you are trying to do? Do you have a website? And are you just scanning old copies and then using a pc printer to publish them? Also what specifilly have you managed to "republish"?

If the copyright was not renewed when the original expired, and the document or an updated version was not reprinted later by the author with a new copyright it moves into the "public domain" and you can make them publicly available in various formats.
Posted by: profbillymiller

Re: Republishing old Jiujitsu manuals - 07/18/07 05:45 PM

Quote:

Copyright laws usually do not apply to very early books from the pre-1914 era. In most cases, I would be republishing them on Lulu.com, which publishes them to fairly high quality. And yes, most would be scans (though the first one I completed was retyped).

So far, I've just completed one of them--"Scientific Jiujitsu" by Mori Ohashi, early 20th century. I'm working on getting much of the work of Yukio Tani (http://ejmas.com/jalt/jaltart_Noble_1000.htm) out there as well, and perhaps Higashi.