Yellow belt requirements.

Posted by: kyokushinkai

Yellow belt requirements. - 11/08/06 09:29 PM

I just started judo, and I have noticed its a lot different then my old karate ( obviously the no striking is different ) There seem to be so many techniques being shown. Even if they weren't really meant for me to try I can't help but remember them and it confuses me with some other techniques.

Anyway I'm wondering what would I need to know to get my yellow belt. I know it may vary a bit school to school, but what throws/sweeps, locks, chokes will I need to know for the testing?

Maybe I'll just have to know how to tie my belt lol.
Posted by: jamesjj

Re: Yellow belt requirements. - 11/08/06 10:16 PM

There should be requirements for your individual school. I you're unsure of these requirements then you should ask your instructor about what is going to be on the test. However, if they feel that you're ready to be tested then it's likely that you're ready
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Yellow belt requirements. - 11/09/06 11:13 AM

Schools vary their curriculum, but frequently the first colored belt includes rolling and falling, terminology, 4-5 throws, assorted self defense techniques, etc.
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Yellow belt requirements. - 11/09/06 11:17 AM

Check what association your school is under, and go to their website. Most places have the syllabus on line. It does vary though. In my experience, it tends to be knowledge of a few basic commands and no more than half a dozen moves.

Then again, in Ireland you have to know the above, then go to another grading with different dojo's (almost like a tournament). There, you must fight for your belt. If you don't win or perform, no belt.

As I said, it veries.
Posted by: kyokushinkai

Re: Yellow belt requirements. - 11/09/06 06:15 PM

I've only been to 5 classes so far so I won't be getting a belt any time soon. I know some terminology, and basic throws. I was just curious as to what I would need to know.
Posted by: Ives

Re: Yellow belt requirements. - 11/10/06 07:07 AM

I looked at what the dutch Judo association has as guidlines.

Ukemi-waza: front, back and side falls.
Nage-waza: o-soto-gari, ippon-seoi-nage, o-goshi, koshi-garuma and de-ashi-barai (to left and right).
Ne-waza: apply techniques after throws (no techniques given).
Osae-waza: kesa-gatame, yoko-shiho-gatame and kami-shiho-gatame.
Kansetsu-waza: ude-hishigi-juji-gatame and ude-garami.
Shime-waza: kata-juji-jime and nami-juji-jime.

And it said something about: yaku-soku-geiko.
All thechniques should be shown.

That's at least what the grading-guidelines say.
Good luck.