boy is my face red!!

Posted by: student_of_life

boy is my face red!! - 10/05/06 08:27 PM

so i just started taking judo in the last month, prior to that i was a karate ka by trade. im not "entirely" new to the grapeling game, a buddy of mine was a wrestler for years and we traded back and forth as well, one of my old karate sensei new a good deal of ju jutsu, witch he passed on.

so my first the sensei and i are rolling around in a kind of randori?? and he gets me in a rear nacked choke, when he locks his ankles, i use my leg to press them down and he taps. kool i think, something paid off, nop, no knee locks in judo.......damn do i feel like an a$$.........

tonight in class, similar grond fight kinda randori???, and im on fire, i mean i choke like a dozen people in a row, rear naked, arm bars from triangles, rolling into kimura's, and gillotines(sp?) out the yin yang, im feeling great!! not a chance.......after i gillotine a few people in a row, one guy (blue belt) complains i punched him in the face while i went for the choke....(debatable....hes a jerk anyway) well the senesi heres him and runs over and makes a big deal about checking the guys neck....then stops class and tells every one that no gillotines in judo, comprimise the spine(fine by me, safty first!!) but i can't put it into words how much of %#$@% head i felt like......every one is all smiles and no hrd feelings......but i realy don't know if i should go back....

what do yo guys think? did i cross any lines or can i hack it up to a dumb ass white belt move.......
Posted by: migo

Re: boy is my face red!! - 10/06/06 04:50 AM

sounds like you need to relax, actually anyone beginning grappling has to learn that. just play more than actually fighting, worry about figuring something out more than the goal of getting the tap to start with.
Posted by: Glockmeister

Re: boy is my face red!! - 10/07/06 09:16 PM

Quote:

so my first the sensei and i are rolling around in a kind of randori?? and he gets me in a rear nacked choke, when he locks his ankles, i use my leg to press them down and he taps. kool i think, something paid off, nop, no knee locks in judo.......damn do i feel like an a$$.........

Yeah that's one thing I don't like about Judo. Too many techniques that you can't use.
Posted by: migo

Re: boy is my face red!! - 10/07/06 11:47 PM

That's not a big deal. Focus on the standup aspect, and the positional aspect on the ground. If you want the wide range of subs train at a BJJ/MMA place that includes leg locks. Judo is great for a lot of things, just like wrestling, and it's got some subs in there to boot. Use it for what it is. Muay Thai and Kyokushin Karate don't have any ground grappling. They're great for standup though and that's why you train those arts. Judo is great for controlling position in the grappling range, and it includes submissions so you're aware of them in the regular training.
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: boy is my face red!! - 10/10/06 10:34 AM

It sounds like you are playing a different game than your classmates. This will only breed hostility. I know this from experience.

If it is a Judo Class and you are catching all these submissions on even more advanced students, that should tell you that they don't know the stuff (even if it is in the curriculum).

My advice would be to either find a BJJ school where the focus is in line with what you want....or lighten up and worry more about learning Judo the way they are teaching it.

At my old Judo class, it got to the point where noone wanted to work newaza with me until I stopped playing my BJJ game with them.
Posted by: student_of_life

Re: boy is my face red!! - 10/10/06 11:09 AM

your right, the randori is suposed to be light. im proably taking it to hard.

i guess its more of a my fault thing then anything else, but can you gys give me any advice on how to deal with jrk off higher level belts who take it hard on me?, should i just let them have there way and run to sensei?, or go to the age old ego clash, lol ( you know what i mean)

thanks guys, i have a class again tonight so i'll try ti have more fun with it it this time!!