Yoshin Ryu

Posted by: haze

Yoshin Ryu - 07/30/06 01:00 PM

I've been training in Okinawan Karate and I'm looking into some jujitsu training. Located some people I can train with in yoshin ryu jujitsu. Anyone here familiar with this? Anyone trained in his art?

Thanks
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: Yoshin Ryu - 07/30/06 01:36 PM

Go to http://www.amfedjujitsu.com/ It's run by Yoshin Ryu folks.

Re: Yoshin Ryu - 07/30/06 04:04 PM

wristtwister
These are the people I'm thinking about training with. They are about 3 hours from me but I was going to work the techniques (from video) with another BB that is a friend of mine and we would periodicaly go to Sensei Moores for testing and correction, etc. if we decide to seek grading in Yoshin Ryu. At this time I may just want tecknique of jujitsu for my own knowledge and pass some on to karate students. Rank..............?

Posted by: paradoxbox

Re: Yoshin Ryu - 07/30/06 08:22 PM

I know of a yoshin ryu, that comes from Japan, but these guys don't appear to be the same people. I don't see a single Japanese name on their membership list nor do I see any affiliation with any dojo in Japan. They also spelled jujutsu wrong.

Take a look at what they offer but be sceptical. I think it's likely they're not teaching something Japanese.

Real yoshin ryu is relatively rare. You can find some dojo teaching a variant of it called hontai yoshin takagi ryu or takagi yoshin ryu in the form of genbukan and bujinkan dojo, respectively.
Posted by: kempo_jujitsu

Re: Yoshin Ryu - 09/18/06 08:50 PM

i have corresponded with jeff moore via email periodically about jujutsu and the arts in general. hes a good guy, who will help you alot.
however the "original" art of yoshin ryu jujutsu is lost, this is a "recreation" of sorts. as best he can calculate this is close to what the actual first style of yoshin ryu could've been like. i dont know any of it, but i hear its very good as far as jujutsu goes. do not be fooled into thinking you are studying "koryu" or an ancient ryu from feudal japan. again, its similar to studying pankration with jim arvantis...its a best guess recreation.
but i like to think, the techniques aren't what make an art what it is, its the underlying principles. if you read the history of the art on his website you will know what i mean..."ju" means to yield to force and redirect it, not try to stop it...etc etc.
what i like about him and his yoshin ryu is its taught in a traditional manner, he also teaches samurai weapons (sword, staff, knife (tanto) ..but older "jutsu" versions of throws, but he also teaches more modern judo versions of them as well. right along side of each other.
so i would call it traditional jujutsu, but not neccessarily classical jujutsu, meaning its not an "authentic" ryu-ha from feudal japan. good stuff nonetheless.
the closest thing you will find to classical yoshin ryu, is hontai yoshin ryu, or one of the branches of takagi yoshin ryu as mentioned in an earlier post. these are old classical systems. there has been some debate about which of the three are "real"..3 people all claiming to be soke of the ryu...but in reality they are all true, they all teach different lineages of the arts, even though the names are the same or very simelar.
www.genbukan.org
www.skhquest.com (stephen hayes has a home study program for takagi yoshin ryu as taught to him by masaaki hatsumi sensei)
www.hontaiyoshinryu.com
..geez i just realized how old this post was...oh well..hope it helps
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Yoshin Ryu - 09/19/06 05:46 AM

Thanks for the info, KJ!

Re: Yoshin Ryu - 09/19/06 05:46 PM

KJ,
Thanks for the info.
Posted by: kroh

Re: Yoshin Ryu - 10/03/06 02:02 PM

I beg to differ that the Yoshin Ryu is lost. There are several practitioners in Japan as well as a legitimate practitioner and custodian here in the United States. His name is Toby Threadgill and he is the American Custodian for Takamura Ha Shindo Yoshin Ryu Jujutsu. If you have questions about Yoshin Ryu and who is practicing what where, he is a definative and very approachable source here in the United States. You should also be aware that there will be a lot of people claiming that they have lineage in this system when they do not. Also, there are many systems that call themselves Yoshin Ryu Jujutsu but are re-interpretations of other arts.

Don't misinterpret, There are many arts out there that are good solid martial programs that teach worthwhile principles, that might call themselves by this name. But if you have seen it first hand...You would know the difference between the Koryu system and what is presented many times in the states.

Official Web Site for the Takamura Ha: http://www.shinyokai.com/

Hontai Yoshin Ryu: http://www.hyrusa.com/

An Excellent Article on jujutsu by Brett Denison : http://www.mizukan.org/jujutsu.htm

Toby Threadgill performing Yoshin Ryu Jujutsu at the 2005 Aiki-Expo : http://www.aikidojournal.com/download_media.php?media=video&id=101

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Walt
Posted by: Crash

Re: Yoshin Ryu - 10/03/06 06:14 PM

I was also under the impression that "SHINDO" yoshin ryu was a lost art. I train wado kai karate and was under the impression that there are elements of shindo yoshin ryu jujutsu in it that exsist but the style it self is dead. I had a look at your first link and indeed master Ohtsuka's name as well as "wado ryu jujutsu kempo" is mentioned at the end of the list. Not sure if this is any help at all, but that's about all I know of the style currently.

Re: Yoshin Ryu - 10/03/06 11:12 PM

none of those are the original "yoshin ryu" they are "hontai'' yoshin ryu or "shindo" yoshin ryu, or some other derivative of the original.

Re: Yoshin Ryu - 10/04/06 12:16 AM

Quote:

none of those are the original "yoshin ryu" they are "hontai'' yoshin ryu or "shindo" yoshin ryu, or some other derivative of the original

I mean no disrespect, however that is analogous to saying that Windows XP is not a Windows Operating System because it is not the original. If you look at the Lineage provided by Mr. Threadgill, you can trace his line back to the original.

This is all aside from the point. The Gentleman who posted this thread (Haze) was interested in a Yoshin Ryu program in his area. I posted some links so that he could further make a discision as American Federation Yoshin would be different from the stuff you see in Japan. Although Mr. Moore may be a great martial artist ( I don't know him nor his reputation)

Quote:

this is a "recreation" of sorts. as best he can calculate this is close to what the actual first style of yoshin ryu could've been like

I would deem by your post that this would be radically different from the stuff shown by Mr. Threadgill or Mr. Fabian. That is all I am trying to show.

Regards,
Walt

Re: Yoshin Ryu - 10/04/06 09:56 PM

no offense taken, or intended.
my point was...mr moore does not claim to teach shindo yoshin ryu, or hontai yoshin ryu. he claims to teach yoshin ryu. i do not mean to say he claims to teach THE ORIGINAL style of yoshin ryu. that is what i was getting at.
in an earlier post i also stated that the closest thing you will find to the original style was some that you also mentioned. still they are not THE original style. yes you could say it is contained in those arts. i am not trying to dispute that at all.

Re: Yoshin Ryu - 10/05/06 06:05 AM

Quote:

no offense taken, or intended.

Groovy...domo .

Do you know if the original poster was able to visit said school? I'm interested to know if he is taking the class or not.

Regards,
Walt
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: Yoshin Ryu - 10/05/06 01:22 PM

We're all "imitators" of the original styles of martial arts. When I do Aikido, I'm usually imitating Toyoda Sensei imitating Ueshiba Sensei and Tohei Sensei... or Sogunuma Sensei imitating Ueshiba Sensei. How well we do it is what makes our "style" closer to the original. That's why it matters who your teachers are...