Low back pain

Posted by: jcsenton

Low back pain - 02/26/06 10:38 PM

Judo moves such as ipan sei naggie (spelling?), and o-goshi invole bending over and causing the opponent to fall on your back. Is it likely to hurt your back with these moves? Because since yesterday I've been feeling some sort of sorness in my low back, and I've been wondering what the cause of it is.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Low back pain - 02/27/06 12:24 AM

Before being thrown have you gone over falling techniques? These are important allowing you to distribute your weight through your whole body especially your arms. The thing is to get comfortable doing this and then it will become second nature. In the beginning it is common for people to feel a little pain but take it slow. Make sure chin is tucked but also make sure you "relax" ... go almost limp ... go with the throw. The tenser you are the more painful it can be. Perhaps this is why your lower back is sore.

Now that is when you are thrown. When you are the thrower and lifting these individuals you have to make sure to get lower then them and lift with you legs. If you lift with your back then you will have back problems. Get in close (bodies as one), lower yourself down with your legs and then lift with your legs.
Posted by: Taison

Re: Low back pain - 02/27/06 04:31 AM

Ippon Seoi-nage.

I suggest, if you're new to Judo, go for the Seio-otoshi. It's more mild on the thrown. And YOU need more Ukemi training. It's not wrong to appear to early to class and throw yourself on the tatami for 30 minutes before class. It should be as a second nature to you.

-Taison out

Re: Low back pain - 02/28/06 06:46 PM

Quote:

Before being thrown have you gone over falling techniques? These are important allowing you to distribute your weight through your whole body especially your arms. The thing is to get comfortable doing this and then it will become second nature. In the beginning it is common for people to feel a little pain but take it slow. Make sure chin is tucked but also make sure you "relax" ... go almost limp ... go with the throw. The tenser you are the more painful it can be. Perhaps this is why your lower back is sore.

Now that is when you are thrown. When you are the thrower and lifting these individuals you have to make sure to get lower then them and lift with you legs. If you lift with your back then you will have back problems. Get in close (bodies as one), lower yourself down with your legs and then lift with your legs.

No no no. I meat when I'm the one throwing the opponent can I possibly hurt my back, since when I bent over to get the guy on my back and throw him I'm putting pressure on my spine.
Posted by: kyokushinkai

Re: Low back pain - 02/28/06 07:36 PM

from what i remember when I was in judo ( for like 3 mons ) most of pressure was on your hips.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Low back pain - 02/28/06 09:48 PM

Quote:

No no no. I meat when I'm the one throwing the opponent can I possibly hurt my back, since when I bent over to get the guy on my back and throw him I'm putting pressure on my spine.

Is it possible ... sure it is, if you use bad technique.

Quote:

When you are the thrower and lifting these individuals you have to make sure to get lower then them and lift with you legs. If you lift with your back then you will have back problems. Get in close (bodies as one), lower yourself down with your legs and then lift with your legs.

Again, get lower and lift with your legs. Your hips in most throws are acting as a fulcrum. If using good technique you should be able to lift somebody up and balance them with little effort on your back.
Posted by: trevek

Re: Low back pain - 03/01/06 02:18 PM

Are you using your legs and hips in the throw or are you just trying to throw with your back, by pulling the guy over with your arms. It might be that your hips are too high. Ask your sensei to watch you.

Re: Low back pain - 03/01/06 07:22 PM

Well I allways try to use good technique but sometimes I forget.