Thinking of joining a judo school, how's this one?

Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Thinking of joining a judo school, how's this one? - 02/18/06 04:05 PM

http://www.oishi-judo.com/FRAME.htm

^I don't know what to look for in a judo school so I have no idea if this place is good or not. As for what I look for in any MA class:

-Its not too far, I can commute.
-Seems like it has enough room.
-Schedule that works for me.
-Even has some jujitsu on saturdays.

Questions:
In the fees section, do those look okay? If anything I'm thinking of doing the 20 classes, and if I like them , then I'll get a different plan. So what do y'all think?
Posted by: SubZero

Re: Thinking of joining a judo school, how's this one? - 02/18/06 06:34 PM

"If you practice in a blue judogi, sensei will choke you."

I'm new to jujitsu/judo myself...I dunno. I'm sure if those are really his credentials it would be great if you can afford it.

P.S. Don't show up in a blue judogi.

Re: Thinking of joining a judo school, how's this one? - 02/18/06 06:57 PM

Since I know nothing about judo I have to ask. What does the color of the judogi matter? What are the politics and issues behind this?
Posted by: Taison

Re: Thinking of joining a judo school, how's this one? - 02/18/06 10:27 PM

Blue gi? That just means your the opponent. It makes judging throws easier to view when you watch through slow motion video. Imagine having a big tournament and suddenly both fall down. You watch the video to see who did the throw but all you see is 4 white legs in a blur. Now if one wears blue you can see whose leg did the technique and threw the opponent.

Advise. . Never wear blue gi. Either Sensei will choke you, or the senior student will randori with you until end of class.

-Taison out

Re: Thinking of joining a judo school, how's this one? - 02/18/06 11:00 PM

So for the record, this is no McDojo right?
Posted by: SubZero

Re: Thinking of joining a judo school, how's this one? - 02/20/06 02:19 AM

Quote:

Since I know nothing about judo I have to ask. What does the color of the judogi matter? What are the politics and issues behind this?

That was taken from the school's website. It was among other witticisms as "white is for humans, blue is for smurfs".

Anyway, Oldman and I take classes at a community center from a 7th dan who's coached an olympic team and competed all over the globe. Two nights a week per 8 week session for $60. So 16 classes for $60. Another thing to realize is that if you are new to judo you will be very sore. After several weeks I still get sore, but usually not nearly as much. Also, do you have a job? This might make training three times a week difficult. Explore your options.
Posted by: Legend of the Hungry Wolf

Re: Thinking of joining a judo school, how's this - 03/09/06 01:39 AM

Taison is absolutely right. hmmm, where i used to go if i showed up in a blue gi guess what happened, nothing. some days I think they made up a blue gi mondays. If my sensei choked me cause I wore a blue gi, he'd better finish the job cause imma punch him. the color gi u wear does not justify any punishment, they should feel honored you showed up, rather than skipped out.

one more thing when i go to the website it does not show me the top 10 reasons why white gis are better than blue. can someone copy and paste it for me, i gotta see this. thanks in advance.
Posted by: McSensei

Re: Thinking of joining a judo school, how's this one? - 03/10/06 10:31 AM

Wear a black gi instead, see what he says about that.

I prefer white gis myself but I wouldn't go as far as to say you have to wear white.
Posted by: backkick

Re: Thinking of joining a judo school, how's this - 04/10/06 01:04 PM

Just my $0.02 but I have heard that Oishi's is a top notch dojo.
Posted by: IamZim

Re: Thinking of joining a judo school, how's this - 04/22/06 12:50 AM

Can someone tell me where the Japanese Canadian Culture Centre stands in quality? Just curious.