Your Favorite Technique

Posted by: Taison

Your Favorite Technique - 02/10/06 03:01 AM

Hey, list down your five favorite techniques be it JJJ or Judo. I'm interested in what people like!

Mine?

1) Osoto-gari [The famous Taison-gari, my sign. move]
2) Juji-gatame
3) O-Goshi [The move I find easiest to execute, devastating]
4) Yoko Gake
5) Rear Naked Choke [Brutal, simple, effective]

So what's your favorite fives?

-Taison out
Posted by: Street_Poet

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 02/10/06 04:03 AM

the nutcracker, eyegouger, etc.
just playing

i like doin tai otoshi the most, then osoto gari.
rear naked is def. my favorite choke as well.
but my fav. submission is armbar or triangle
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 02/10/06 12:03 PM

Osoto gari, figure four arm lock.
Posted by: shuri

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 02/10/06 12:41 PM

ouchi gari
kouchi gari
tomoe nage
ippon soei nage
and wrapping the leg to break pins
Posted by: azjudoaikijitsu

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 02/10/06 03:31 PM

Heres my fave in no order

Harai Goshi
Ippon seoi nage
SHoulder Wheel
Juji Gatame
Hani Goshe
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 02/11/06 04:27 PM

Don't know the official terms as you guys do. We don't get into the official names just the techniques. My favorite it the tree-up (or tree-down). This is also know as the Americana, Kumura or Paintbrush. Also like the RNC as well as any armbar.

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 02/11/06 08:48 PM

From my understanding, the Kimura and Americana are considered to be separate techniques. I know them as the figure four arm lock and the backhammer lock respectively.

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 02/11/06 08:50 PM

Same thing with Leo, those two technique were taught as separate techniques.

If I could just remember their japanese names. My problem is, in our curricilum all technique names are in japanese. We are still a TMA, so. . .

I wonder, if any of the JJJ/Judo techniques have korean names?

-Taison out

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 02/11/06 09:57 PM

Quote:

From my understanding, the Kimura and Americana are considered to be separate techniques. I know them as the figure four arm lock and the backhammer lock respectively.

ya, from what i know kimura is from the guard, americana is from mount, and also side control.

**BUT the mechanics for each move is practically the same**

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 02/12/06 06:39 PM

Well, not really. Now I'm no expert on physio and anatomy but I'm pretty sure that Kimura is hyperflexion plus lateral rotation at the shoulder and Americana is hyperextension and medial rotation at the shoulder. The injuries inflicted by using these techniques should differ. However, if we ignore the injuries inflicted, I suppose you are correct.

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 02/13/06 01:14 PM

Quote:

ya, from what i know kimura is from the guard, americana is from mount, and also side control.

**BUT the mechanics for each move is practically the same**

We learn this as one technique. We are taught to recognize it in any position. But as explained we don't use a lot of the names just the techniques are taught. We may have names we make up ourselves or passed down to make it easier. In this case then our Tree-Up would be the Americana and our Tree-Down would be the Kimura.

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 02/13/06 02:56 PM

i think the kimura name should be used, since it has a story to it-
http://www.bjj.org/interviews/kimura/

it was named after Masahiko Kimura after he effectively submitted Helio Gracie (founding father of BJJ) with it.

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 02/13/06 04:29 PM

Quote:

i think the kimura name should be used, since it has a story to it-
http://www.bjj.org/interviews/kimura/

I'm well aware of the Kimura and where the name came from. Howeve the system that we use it a lot to do with Korean and the word Tree-Up and Tree-Down were terms passed to my Instructor from his Master who is from South Korea who learned from his father who learned from his father, etc. This means far more to me with respect then the name Kimura from an individual that has no connection to me. I respect it but see no need to call it anything but what I'm taught.

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 02/13/06 09:38 PM

Hey, Dereck, I was just wondering.

The techniques that you are taught, do they get English names or Korean? I've heard of striking techniques that are in Korean but never grappling techniques, so I was wondering.

I'm a firm believer in name as passed down, and I agree sometimes we have to give it a nickname so it doesn't get confusing. But I see it wrong as giving its nickname as its official name. E.g. Ippon seoi-nage = Ippon. Call it shoulder throw or something. I mean, it looks abit odd when the victor uses the Ippon and on the screen it says Technique used: "Ippon" *shakes head in disbelief*

-Taison out

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 02/13/06 10:06 PM

Quote:

Don't know the official terms as you guys do. We don't get into the official names just the techniques. My favorite it the tree-up (or tree-down). This is also know as the Americana, Kumura or Paintbrush. Also like the RNC as well as any armbar.

I don't either I had to look them up

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 02/14/06 01:24 AM

Quote:

Hey, Dereck, I was just wondering.

The techniques that you are taught, do they get English names or Korean? I've heard of striking techniques that are in Korean but never grappling techniques, so I was wondering.

All of the techniques we learn are in English. My Instructor does know some names in Korean as his Master is Korean and the grappling is from Hapkido. However when training with the US Marines and as well here in Canada to students, he translated everything to English or had terms in English that anybody could understand. Sometimes the official names are so confusing you can get lost in them.

For the techniques I talked about, his Master called it a Tree-Up as the arm and hand looks like the truck of a tree and the fingers are the branches. When the arm is up then that is a Tree-Up (or Americana). When the arm is pointed down it is a Tree-Down (or Kimura).

You have to remember this techniques was known far before it was ever named a Kimura (1951). Just because this move was renamed to Kimura did not mean that all people around the world that already practiced this should change the name of what they were doing.

The techniques in our system is the most important thing. The names are not important but if you want to know them they will be told to you ... or our Instructor may say them from time to time but remembering them is harder so we will make up our own names or say what they really are. This is a hip toss with blah blah. This is .... you get the point.

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 02/14/06 10:01 AM

I totally agree, it doesnt matter what it's called, it's how well you do it. I learned it in AJJ, but it wasnt called kimura

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 02/14/06 09:23 PM

I understand.

I'm having a bit of a problem remembering all the techniques in Japanese. Tree-down, I think it's called something like Origanami-gatame or something like that. I can only recall it begins with Ori and then ends with Gatame. Seems I have to go and do some research. Now I remember, it's called Ude Garami! Phew, now I got that off my chest. And the name just gets longer with each variation as you said, tree up, tree down, cross body, reverse, mount, etc. .

Anyway, I understand your point. It's quite difficult to teach foreigners in a foreign language, like in your case it wouldn't be suitable to teach the Korean names as the student would end up mixing them anyway.

-Taison out
Posted by: Paranormalma

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 02/14/06 09:30 PM

O Soto Gari (Major Outer Reap)
O Soto Guruma (Major Outer Wheel)
Ko Soto Gari (Minor Outer Reap)

If the first doesn't work, the second or third are always good to fall back on

Hadaka Jime(Rear Naked Choke)-still one of the best!

I've also been becoming vey fond of Shiho Gatame (Smother Hold). Sure, it's not likely to do damage on its own, but if done correctly it is a very effective holding technique that gives the user a lot of opportunities to do major damage
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 02/14/06 11:57 PM

When I started, I was facinated by Shiho Nage. After I learned it, I found very little use for it outside the JJJ/ Aikido syllabus though. I still love to watch it done at high levels.

Sankyo is on Traditional technique that I have found a lot of use for though. It is the one technique that gets people up on their feet. That would probably be my pick for favorite JJJ techniques.

For Judo, there is no question. Uchi Mata is by far my favorite technique.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 02/15/06 09:30 AM

Standing long range while their moving Deashi-bari, when I'm attacking Osoto-gari or head lock hip throw.
Some one grabs from behind, Seionage as the 1st arm wraps around my sholder. In mince a takedown sometimes corner leg throw or leg wrap Gullotine Choke, Tussling Kimura or Arm bar or four corner choke, from behind RNC, in front his head between my knees surf board single or double arm shoulder lock.

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 02/15/06 09:14 PM

I have this really really strange fascination for Tani-otoshi and Tai-otoshi. I don't know, in every randori, these always comes out and the success rate is somewhere between 75-85%.

Uchi-mata. The move that dropped a 120 Kg man to the floor, by a little dude that weighed around 50 Kg. That's a real scary move out of the corner. I really hate this move as my favorite fighting position begins from the corner and they have a free chance to launch me with this one.

-Taison out

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 02/16/06 12:59 AM

Boy I wish I knew what all this terminology you guys are using meant. Not knowing these puts me at a disadvantage when talking about it but if I seen it I'd know it.

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 02/16/06 09:26 PM

Here let me help you as I want you to join in the conversation as well.

http://judoinfo.com/animate.htm here you go. If you're wondering what we're talking about check out the move in animation.

To be honest, I hate it when people talk and leaves me in the dust with a big question mark on my forehead. I'm sorry Dereck if I don't know the English equivalent names of the throws as I am taught all the techniques in Japanese as my art is still traditional. Unlike most Judo-ka I have to remember Persian and Russian names as well [some Korash and Sambo techniques].

As for Uchi-mata one of the top three scoring moves in the Olympics. http://judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/uchimata.htm

-Taison out
ps. . I got a new favorite move now. Tsuri-goshi! http://judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/tsurigoshi.htm

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 02/16/06 10:49 PM

Thanks Taison, I will look at this site. From the two you have clipped here I am very familiar with them. Thanks again.

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 02/16/06 10:57 PM

On Thursday prior to grappling we did several different moves with one being the two arm shoulder throw a.k.a. Morote Seoinage. We then finished this move off with keeping control of the one arm and applying a wrist lock, jerking the arm while moving to the otherside of their body which makes them roll on to their stomach and then pin the arm behind their back while placing your weight down on them. To make them tap you can lift their arm causing pain or go for the hair pull or eye gouge.

We also practice the large hip throw a.k.a. O Goshi. To finish this move we kept control of the arm, placed our knee down on the chest and immediately swung our legs over and ended it with an arm bar.

Thanks again Taison.

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 02/16/06 11:12 PM

That's kinda funny. We do the O-goshi and then we land we go for the leg in old fashioned Achilles hold or knee-bar.

The good thing about your TKD and my Judo is that our arts emphasises on getting the throw in and following up with a lock. Many Judo-ka these day do the throw and don't follow up. Ok, we can argue we both do it for SD but, still, should ne-waza be an important aspect of Judo?

Today, master told me to be ready for some suplex action. He was getting the padded mats ready.

-Taison out to suplexes

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 02/17/06 12:03 AM

Ne-Waza = Groundwork or Mat Techniques

I had to look that one up. To be honest Taison, if I was doing this for SD then I would have broken the arm against my knee as we learn in a lot of our techniques and one-steps. We have been taught these moves as well for SD but in this case on Thursday the arm bars/arm locks that we used were mostly for grappling purposes and really did not have anything to do with SD but sport and competition.

Should groundwork be important to Judo? Again it depends if you are training for SD or sport. It has its benefits for both but I would say yes, without a doubt.
Posted by: thepanda

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 02/17/06 04:30 AM

i like the wrist throw, very simple but it works a treat. The other day we were doing random attacks and my partner did an uppercut and i done something which was similar to aikido (which is wierd because i have never done aikido), our sensei said its all well and good doing a set move (straight arm lock from a round house, hip throw from back strangle, ect) but in a competition the judges would be looking for something different, thats why i did this aikido-esque move.
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 03/11/06 01:09 AM

Taison, you might want to do some in depth study of O guruma since you like tai otoshi. If you "hit" O guruma correctly (proper entry) you have three choices of leg position for the throw... basic O guruma, drop it down and do ashi otoshi, or drop it to the mat and do tai otoshi. If they step over to counter it, they set themselves up for uchi mata.

Just a footnote from that old guy who doesn't know anything about... whatever you want to call it...

Posted by: McSensei

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 03/11/06 12:48 PM

I'm fairly lucky where I live in the fact that I have an internationally recognised Judo club and an exceptional standard JJ club all within 5 minutes of where I live.
Unfortunately I have been doing neither long enough to know what my favourites are. However, certain techniques that I have come to enjoy using, learnt within my karate syllabus, are the body drop (tai otoshi??), inside reap (O uchi gari??), shoulder throw (ippon seoi nage??) and outer reap (O soto gari??). Favourite hold has got to be RNC.
Posted by: kicksomearse

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 08/17/06 08:53 PM

Any arm bar or wrist lock to gain a submission
Wrist throw
I wouldn't hesitate to use a choke hold in a life or death situation, but I won't use it in training
Hip throw is good against a light person
Posted by: Dudley32

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 08/20/06 04:40 PM

floating drop

triangle lock

guillitine

armbar

Matt
Posted by: migo

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 09/03/06 04:26 AM

Kimura, Americana, Top Wrist Lock, Double Wrist Lock, Keylock, Paintbrush are all Ude-Garami in Judo (although some of them aren't legal in current Judo competition because they attack the shoulder and not the elbow).

I don't really diferentiate between them, except in defense, since I can defend the Kimura (Tree-Down mentioned earlier) very easily and have almost no chance in defending the Americana (Tree-Up) once it's locked in.

My favourite Techinques are
1) Triange Choke (Sankakujime)
2) Straight Armbar (Jujigatame)
3) Elevator Sweep (no idea what it's called in Japanese)
4) Valley Drop (Taniotoshi) tied with hopping on the back
5) Bodylock takedown (Greco-Roman type move, sometimes with a trip)
Posted by: hugo

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 01/08/07 04:39 AM

Good choices friend. Believe it or not every one of those are on my list, excluding Yoko Gake.

My favourite moves would be.

1. Osotogari
2. Rear Naked Choke
3. Ogoshi
4. Jujigatame
5. A variant of Haraegoshi (which works wonders if people jump on your back)
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 01/08/07 02:35 PM

Head and arm variation of the guillotine from full guard.
My outer heel hook technique.
The Keylock.
Single Leg takedown.
Head and arm throw.
Posted by: kicksomearse

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 01/09/07 05:38 AM

Some of my favourite techniques (I don't know the names in Japanese):

Head throw
Wrist Throw
Broken wing throw
Sacrifice Throw
Posted by: hugo

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 01/12/07 06:51 PM

OK. I found that I was wrong about it being a variant of Haraegoshi. But I have no idea what the last throw on my list actually is. So I suppose that is the best way to give you some idea.
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 01/12/07 11:24 PM

Hello Taison:

Healthy Belly Laughter ???), my favorite technique. Learn to laugh at myself, laugh at the challenges and MEAN it... how will I be attacked..... scenerio:

"...Nope, you're right I am a jerk, completely wrong, you are RIGHT... my mistake.... nope I was dead stupid wrong..."

Long way to go before I learn this well enough...
Jeff
Posted by: Alan66

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 01/22/07 09:10 AM

Osoto Makikomi (Major Outer Wrap Around)
Morote Seinage (Two Arm Shoulder Throw)
Yoko Sankake Jime
Sode Gurame Jime
Gyaku Juji Gatme

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 03/19/07 01:34 PM

Hmm..

Nagewaza
1) Osoto-gari and Osoto-guruma.
2) Seoi-otoshi
3) Koshi-guruma
4) Yoko-Otoshi
5) Uchi-mata

Katamewaza
1) Ashi-hishigi
2) Ude-garami
3) Jujigatame
4) Hiza-hishigi
5) Gyaku-hishigi (aka Orochi. It's when you hold someone in the head lock, you'll go down to the ground, while applying pressure to the neck, and at the same time get them into a guard and squeeze their ribs together and push outwards)
6) Hadaka-jime.

-Taison out
Posted by: ExCon

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 03/26/07 07:57 PM

My favorite Judo technique is osoto makikomi and soto makikomi. I consider these two throws really one throw with two different finishes. I get my tie-up for the throw and if his weight is back, its osoto makikomi, but if his weight is forward, its soto makikomi.

Judo purists will consider the above as heresy.

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 03/26/07 08:11 PM

Oh ya the reason that I like this throw so much is because one can really drive the guy hard into the ground with it. Just ask the Judo guys about makikomi throws.

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 03/26/07 11:09 PM

I've always viewed the makikomi group (except uchimata makikomi) as a plan B.

I go for osoto-gari, it's blocked, I go for osoto-makikomi.

Never used them as a 'technique' per say.

-Taison out

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 03/28/07 09:18 AM

Quote:

I've always viewed the makikomi group (except uchimata makikomi) as a plan B.

I go for osoto-gari, it's blocked, I go for osoto-makikomi.

Never used them as a 'technique' per say.

-Taison out

Osoto gari was one of the first judo throws taught to me. I could never get it to work for me. Then one day a higher belt threw me with soto makikomi. I asked him to show me the throw but I was unable to make soto/osoto makikomi work for me either. So I forgot about these throws until years later, while at a mma club I was playing with non-gi grips for judo throws when I tried osoto/soto makikomi again. For whatever reason I finally got the kuzushi right and now I love this throw.
Posted by: musicalmike235

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 07/03/07 10:06 PM

By far, my favorite technique is my lateral drop.
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 07/04/07 05:32 PM

I use 3 main attacks that I guess you could call my "scoring throws," so I use other things to set them up:

1) Ippon-Seoi-nage (and it's variants)
2) O-uchi-gari- (beautiful of you can get the direction right)
3) Ko-soto-gari -(I like to counter with it, and to use it as a follow up to an o-uchi)
Posted by: Jim_Judy

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 07/04/07 09:38 PM

Tomoe-nage

Ura Gyaku Dori

Ganseki Nage (only works when it works, but when it works... whew!)

Closed Guard Kimura (mostly to motivate a roll-escape to make space & get off the friggin' ground)

Juji Gatame or Ude-garami
Posted by: Leonine

Re: Your Favorite Technique - 07/06/07 04:06 PM

Tai-Otoshi
Osoto-Gari (I just love the throw, don't know why)
O Guruma (Easiest throw for me to do)
Drop Ippon Seio-nage

Omoplata
Kimura
Triangle Choke (although I have a difficult time tapping people with it, although I almost always lock it)
Ankle lock