Presidential Judo

Posted by: MattJ

Presidential Judo - 02/08/06 12:05 PM

I thought this was a pretty cool article. I didn't realize that Vladimir Putin held such a high rank in Judo.

http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=167
Posted by: ToddR

Re: Presidential Judo - 02/08/06 01:16 PM

I read that somewhere a couple years ago but I didn't know he was such a high rank. He's former KGB, though, so you know he can kick some butt. Cool article, thanks Matt.
Posted by: Taison

Re: Presidential Judo - 02/08/06 09:30 PM

Former GRU.

Vladimir Putin is a good Judo-ka. If I remember right, he has a very good technique when it involves o-goshi style throws and yoko gake.

-Taison out
Posted by: SubZero

Re: Presidential Judo - 02/09/06 02:00 AM

"In Soviet Union, technique studies you"

Re: Presidential Judo - 02/10/06 02:42 AM

Come again?

Do you mean that in USSR, you only take techniques that suits you or do you mean, people pick techniques that needs to adapt to the practitioner?

-Taison out
Posted by: SubZero

Re: Presidential Judo - 02/10/06 06:57 PM

I guess I forgot not everyone's familiar with Yakov Smirnoff. He's a comedian born in the former Soviet Union. I believe he still has a theater down in Branson. Anyway, his whole act was jokes about how different things were when living in the Soviet Union.
Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Re: Presidential Judo - 02/18/06 04:08 PM

Quote:

"In Soviet Union, technique studies you"

Heh, its been a while since I've heard a good Smirnoff that made sense in context.
Posted by: trevek

Re: Presidential Judo - 03/09/06 05:04 PM

Taison,

I too thought that Mr Pu
was a former GRU
But it's been pointed out to me
He was indeed a KGB.
Posted by: TeK9

Re: Presidential Judo - 03/10/06 02:47 AM

Did he have a reoccurng role in an 1980's t.v. series? Was it "Night Court" with Harry Anderson?
Posted by: trevek

Re: Presidential Judo - 03/12/06 12:28 PM

Is he the guy who said something about there being 2 TV channels in USSR. One is political propoganda and the other has a KGB man telling you to turn back to the first one?

Re: Presidential Judo - 03/12/06 11:26 PM

HAHA! Two of the worst tv channels you can get, especially the second one with the KGB guy.

He was KGB? *grumbles* *Burns all history books* Stupid books!

-Taison out