yeah, my first Judo injury.....

Posted by: GojuRyuboy13

yeah, my first Judo injury..... - 01/31/06 12:20 AM

So, we were doing some sweeps, while side stepping. I forget what they're called but I probably caused it to myself, anticitpating the sweep, not relaxing, ect. Anyway when he hit my foot/shin, my leg didn't go very far and we scrapped shins.

Now I got some swelling on the outside of my left shin, doesn't really hurt at all, I was able to continue and finish class. Minding the injury and not landing on it as best I could. This seems to be a sort of common thing.
I may start wearing shin guards.

My Q's how long does it take for this to go away? How long should I ice it and should I also put heat on it?
What really happened to it, is it like a bruise?
Posted by: azjudoaikijitsu

Re: yeah, my first Judo injury..... - 01/31/06 07:51 AM

Dude that isnt an injury, thats part of training, suck it up.

Re: yeah, my first Judo injury..... - 01/31/06 10:49 AM

dude, I'll call it a life threatening catastrophe if I want too.
Posted by: andy4

Re: yeah, my first Judo injury..... - 01/31/06 03:35 PM

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/007213.htm

Hope the injury gets better. Perhaps read and enjoy?
Posted by: jujutsutampa

Re: yeah, my first Judo injury..... - 01/31/06 05:00 PM

It sounds like you were doing De Ashi Harai, and I've banged my shin a few times working on that technique. It looks simple, but it gets a little tricky. Sometimes you'll knock ankle bones with your uke and you'll both end up on the floor in pain.
As for the "it's all part of training" portion, AZ is correct, but it doesn't make it hurt any less. Go to your local Eastern Medicine store and see if you can find Dit Dah (or Dit Dar, as it's sometimes pronounced). It smells like hell, but it works for topical bruises. Hope this helps.

Eric Wagner
Tampa Florida

Re: yeah, my first Judo injury..... - 01/31/06 07:40 PM

yup, it is all part of training, if I went through life doing MA and not getting a single injury, than something must be wrong.

Is it cool to still do karate, and other excercises with it?
Posted by: paradoxbox

Re: yeah, my first Judo injury..... - 01/31/06 07:40 PM

Yeah, not much of an injury. Wait till you get your first real injury. You'll know it when you hear a big POP and an onrush of horrible pain. Keep the bruise iced.

Re: yeah, my first Judo injury..... - 01/31/06 07:48 PM

I ice it as often as I can, right now am doing just that. I can barely tell it's there anymore. The swellin has gone down so much. I am glad that didn't happen, I havn't had a lot of injuries in my life, this thing is just a piece of pie.

is it cool though to do activity with it, as long as it doesn't bother me or nothing touches it, I will probably go to karate tonight.
Posted by: Taison

Re: yeah, my first Judo injury..... - 02/02/06 09:55 PM

Has the injury gone away yet?

Hope it hasn't lasted all the way until now.

-Taison out
Posted by: azjudoaikijitsu

Re: yeah, my first Judo injury..... - 02/03/06 07:47 PM

A bruise isn't really an injury dude. Your shins and arms will get swollen during training. That's liek calling getting sore from lifting an injury. Dislocating an elbow, or shoulder, breaking a knuckle, pulling a thigh muscle, thats an ijnury. Not trying to be mean dude, jsut trying to explain the difference between a true injury, and the price of training