Advice?

Posted by: Rhea

Advice? - 01/18/06 08:46 AM

Hi everyone, first post alert!
Been looking around for a little while to find a goo forum for martial arts and found one.
My question, what are good techniques during grappling if all your opponents are often nearly twice your weight?
I do Ishin Ryu ju jitsu if thats any help, but there aren't any rules to our grappling, you can do anything.
Thanks, Rhea
Posted by: azjudoaikijitsu

Re: Advice? - 01/18/06 09:42 AM

What type of training do you have with arm bars, locks, triangles etc. You'd want to focus on moves where you can put all your weight against one of his joints and submit him.

Re: Advice? - 01/18/06 10:25 AM

The problem i have is getting them down on the flor in the first place! i'm fine on hold downs, but it's a bit difficult when your the one being sat on! (Don't get me wrong, i don't mind it)
Posted by: azjudoaikijitsu

Re: Advice? - 01/18/06 11:54 AM

Work on your defence on your back. Work on getting locks on your back BJJ style

Re: Advice? - 01/18/06 02:32 PM

thanks. There's someone in our club who studies that, I'm sure he'll help.
Posted by: schanne

Re: Advice? - 01/18/06 04:29 PM

Is that odd? I don't care what anyone says your always going to have problems with bigger people that are "equal" to your level in training. If they are new or not in MA that's a different story. Look more at it as a challenge, try to be quicker, evasive. Don't know what else to say unless a person can watch your technique and is able to critique your moves, that's not happening over a computer...enjoy your beastly roll!

Re: Advice? - 01/18/06 04:44 PM

So basically, don't turn your back on them and enjoy getting squashed! Excellent.
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Advice? - 01/18/06 06:34 PM

I think most general grappling questions are more appropriate to the BJJ forum.

I know many don't scroll down far enough to see it, but this forum has always been geared toward Traditional SD oriented Jujitsu/ Jujutsu/ Jiu Jitsu.
Posted by: AndrewGreen

Re: Advice? - 01/18/06 11:11 PM

Off your back use your legs to make space, don't try to play closed guard it won't work. You are looking for armbars, triangles and to stand up. Don't bother trying to sweep unless they have really bad balance. In fact don't try to move them at all, move you aroud them.

On the top stay loose and mobile. If you try to clamp down on someone really big they will likely be able to just toss you off. I prefer knee rides personally. I almost never go to mount, unless I have the elbows away already and can ride really high and kill the arms as soon as I get there,

To take them down get in tight, tie them up, drop your weight into them and work a trip. For examples go back and watch Royce bring down the really big guys.
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Advice? - 01/19/06 01:09 AM

To be honest, I think submission oriented Guard strategies for people who do not have experience grappling are more confusing than helpful.

Dealing with bigger opponents requires you to keep them from getting on top of you. This done by using your feet, shins, knees and hips while on your back and always keeping your legs oriented toward them.

This offers opportunities to strike and kick your way back to your feet.

If you cannot keep them off you and you are forced to deal with their weight, strive to get paralel to them with your legs wrapped around their waist with your feet crossed in a closed Guard position. From there, you need to be able to tie up their arms to keep from getting punched. If they raise up and make posture to punch you, take the opportunity to kick them away and stand back up.

This is the Self Defense focus of Ground fighting.

Re: Advice? - 01/19/06 04:49 AM

Royce? Not too familiar with names.
But those are good ideas, just what i was looking for. Thankyou.
Posted by: paradoxbox

Re: Advice? - 01/22/06 09:12 AM

Do whatever your instructor tells you. Ask him to teach you some proper throws. If you are smaller and lighter than your opponent you have an advantage in throwing him. If your style has judo type throws in it, use them. Osotogari would likely be pretty useful to you. Other similar throws may also work well.