Difference between JJJ and Hapkido

Posted by: bin

Difference between JJJ and Hapkido - 01/09/06 10:38 AM

What are some of the general and detailed difference between traditional Japanese Jiujitsu and Hapkido?

Does JJJ spar? For hapkido, some places do; others don't.
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Difference between JJJ and Hapkido - 01/09/06 10:49 AM

It depends. I would say that based on the school, you might not be able to tell much of a difference except for the uniforms and terminology.

There are some good and some not so good.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Difference between JJJ and Hapkido - 01/09/06 12:13 PM

Quote:

Does JJJ spar? For hapkido, some places do; others don't.

It's the same with JJJ, some Dojos do, others don't.
Posted by: Lord_Morningstar

Re: Difference between JJJ and Hapkido - 01/09/06 08:15 PM

In general, I believe that Hapkido tends to be ‘harder’ than jujitsu – it favours smaller circles, sharper movements, and more strikes and especially more kicks. Jujitsu bears a more obvious resemblance to Aikido and Judo - Hapkido, not so much.

For the record, I do Hapkido, but have no real experience with the Japanese martial arts.
Posted by: h2whoa

Re: Difference between JJJ and Hapkido - 01/09/06 10:56 PM

Quote:

In general, I believe that Hapkido tends to be ‘harder’ than jujitsu – it favours smaller circles, sharper movements, and more strikes and especially more kicks. Jujitsu bears a more obvious resemblance to Aikido and Judo - Hapkido, not so much.

For the record, I do Hapkido, but have no real experience with the Japanese martial arts.

I agree to a small extent..HKD, Aikido, JJJ...also Judo and Yudo...stem from the same father art...so it is just a different interpritation of the same art that grew into something different...Jujitsu is closer to HKD in its movements...but the circle difference you are talking about is the difference between aikido and HKD!

The similarities have gotten less and less...while the principlke (trying to create MMA style fighters..ie fights in all ranges)..but they have evolved into three very seperate arts!

*bows respectfully*
*bows respectfully*
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Difference between JJJ and Hapkido - 01/10/06 01:17 AM

My Instructor is well versed in both with having learned Hapkido first. His master always compared it as a Korean Jujitsu. Then later when taking JJJ he found it an extremely easy transition as most of the skill he already knew and was able to advance very quickly through the system to obtain his black belt. With that said these have aided both in his BJJ and MMA training.

They have so many similarities but each have things that are different as well. But like any art, things will vary from Instructor to Instructor, School to School. What one learns in JJJ may not be the same that another learns ... and the same for Hapkido.
Posted by: mean_fighter

Re: Difference between JJJ and Hapkido - 01/10/06 03:22 PM

Hey I dont meen to be a stick in the mud but......what is JJJ stand for? and what are its origans?
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Difference between JJJ and Hapkido - 01/10/06 04:03 PM

JJJ = Japanese Jujitsu

This is the bases for many grappling arts. Judo was derived from JJJ by taking out many of the more deadly aspects.

Nothing wrong with asking questions otherwise we'd never learn. No biggie.
Posted by: h2whoa

Re: Difference between JJJ and Hapkido - 01/11/06 09:48 AM

Quote:

You have it completely the wrong way around the japanes have the smaller circles...the koreans the larger!

*bows respectfully*
Posted by: Taison

Re: Difference between JJJ and Hapkido - 01/11/06 10:09 AM

Also, My instructor is well versed in JJJ [I think it was Takeda-ryu, but not sure] and Judo.

He tried Hapkido once, like 3 months or something and said, its very similar and said that one well versed in HKD would do quite well in both JJJ and Judo with a little training and some time.

Now back to topic. My Judo is ALL about full-contact sparring. We are allowed ALL techniques. So as said earlier, it depends from school to school.

Back to Dereck. I wonder, if someone well versed in HKD, would they have an easy time doing TKD? Or is it the other way around?

-Taison out
Posted by: azjudoaikijitsu

Re: Difference between JJJ and Hapkido - 01/16/06 10:03 PM

the founder of hapkido is said to have studied in some Fashion under Takeda, the grandmaster of Daito-ryu. So like daito it favors tight hard small circular locks grabs, throws, but also has some judo. I've been told its korean judo aikijitsu, with some TKD thrown in. How "hard" or soft depends on the school and the instructor