coaching advice needed

Posted by: jayziz

coaching advice needed - 01/08/06 05:11 PM

Hello there everyone,this is my first post to the forum.
I've had some training in Bjj but had to give it up due to some permanant hyperextention damage to my elbows.I'm now living vicariously through my two sons(6 and 9 years old)as they train and compete in judo.My question is, my boys have a killer drop knee seoinage due some insight from a really cool sensei we worked with.He showed them that the throw was best performed when uke is pushing on them or even if he's not they can set it up by giving him a wee push and when he resists,bang!down he goes.
So there lies my question.Could you guys tell me when is the best time or indeed to set up the following throws;
Uchi mata
Ashi guruma
Osoto gari
Tani otoshi
Cheers for now,James.
p.s.In case your wondering we are part of a dojo but the sensei has a lot of kids to look after,and I enjoy working with them at home.
Posted by: RobinKei

Re: coaching advice needed - 01/08/06 06:02 PM

Wow, that subject could get big. Everyone has their own favorite ways of setting up throws. I have taught kids judo for quite a while and set up is partially determined by the individual, their body type, and personal preference. Still here are a few things that seem to work well for my kids:

Tani otoshi - this is a great counter throw. I particularly like it as a counter to koshi waza. As your opponent enters for a hip throw, grab them by the back of the gi and drop to tani otoshi. The key is timing.

Osoto gari - My sensei is fond of saying, "all roads lead to Osoto gari." The first road I send my kids to investigate is the one their opponent pulls them down. If you like to set up Seoinage from a push, see the set up of Osoto as being pulled. when you opponent pulls step in driving their weight to the corner and throw osoto to the rear.

Uchi mata - This is perhaps my personal favorite as a throw, ask my training partner. But it isn't great against opponents taller and longer legged than I am. (I am fairly small.) I prefer to execute Uchi mata by setting my opponent up to turn. (Since I no longer compete and train in aikijujutsu, I do this with joint pain.) My kids prefer to use it when their opponent pushes them, they pull with the energy and turn in to throw.

One of my kids has great success with an uchi mata, tai otoshi combination. She normally fights right handed so I will go that way. When her opponent pushes, she pulls them and turns into right side uchi mata. If the throw is not immediately successful, she sets her right foot down inside and pivots on it to throw her opponent in hidari tai otoshi with the same right hand grip. It is very fast and the right hand grip with the left hand throw add a lot of power.
Posted by: jayziz

Re: coaching advice needed - 01/08/06 09:07 PM

Robin,wow man,thank you so much for your response.My boys and I are amazed with that uchi mata, tai otoshi combination
We I just finished demonstrating on the wife while they watched(he he).Your a credit to this website.
Regards,
James.
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: coaching advice needed - 01/08/06 10:24 PM

I usually show the uchi mata- tai otoshi combo. The "steering wheel" uchi komi makes for a nice setup that triggers both throws.
Posted by: MartinR

Re: coaching advice needed - 01/12/06 09:17 AM

The following is a link to the Judoinfo site listing several common throws with common setup, follow-up, and counter throws:

http://judoinfo.com/gaeshi.htm

Great site for judo.