Karo Parisyan and No-Gi Judo

Posted by: BigRod

Karo Parisyan and No-Gi Judo - 12/19/05 04:13 PM

If you haven't heard of Kayro, he's known for successfully using Judo inside the ring/Octagon.

Here's an article about him:
http://www.blackbeltmag.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=69

Now, it's his no-gi application of Judo that brings me to my next question....

Has anyone seen any material on no-gi Judo? There is only one set of DVDs I know of that address this, and it is good, but limited in scope. Out of fear of breaking the "No Free Advertising" rule, I won't mention it, because I don't know if that's allowed. If a moderator tells me it is, then I'll post the name of the DVDs. They shouldn't be hard to find though.

Anyway, I digress.

I'm very interested in material that teaches how to adapt Judo to a no-gi environment. I have some knowledge and ability to use various throws/trips/whatever with no-gi, but I'd like to find a thorough treatment of the subject. Right now I'm just getting bits and pieces of knowledge.

Maybe all my answers can be found in Grecco-Roman wrestling?

Well, if anyone knows of anything, please share. PM me if necessary.
Posted by: phoenixsflame

Re: Karo Parisyan and No-Gi Judo - 12/19/05 05:26 PM

Quote:

If you haven't heard of Kayro, he's known for successfully using Judo inside the ring/Octagon.

Here's an article about him:
http://www.blackbeltmag.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=69

Now, it's his no-gi application of Judo that brings me to my next question....

Has anyone seen any material on no-gi Judo? There is only one set of DVDs I know of that address this, and it is good, but limited in scope. Out of fear of breaking the "No Free Advertising" rule, I won't mention it, because I don't know if that's allowed. If a moderator tells me it is, then I'll post the name of the DVDs. They shouldn't be hard to find though.

Anyway, I digress.

I'm very interested in material that teaches how to adapt Judo to a no-gi environment. I have some knowledge and ability to use various throws/trips/whatever with no-gi, but I'd like to find a thorough treatment of the subject. Right now I'm just getting bits and pieces of knowledge.

Maybe all my answers can be found in Grecco-Roman wrestling?

Well, if anyone knows of anything, please share. PM me if necessary.

Well, its pretty simple. Adopt the grabs to the body. I mean if you're grabbing the neck of the Gi, grab the neck of the individual, if you're grabbing the belt, do an under the arm/hip grab...

Its all pretty easy to adopt, once you get into the mind set. I mean, with the foot movements, there's no need for adoption, with the joint applications either... Just something to try, you as the Judo-Ka and active practitioner should sit down with a friend who does it and basically strip it down. Remove the frills and say. "If I were to need to grab someone who had no clothing on" (Not in that way ... Jeez, dirty people) "How would I go about doing it"

Its not to hard to do.
Posted by: BigRod

Re: Karo Parisyan and No-Gi Judo - 12/19/05 06:03 PM

I'm extremely familar with gripping the body without a gi, but that knowledge alone isn't going automically give me the gift of no-gi judo. There's far more to learn then "grab here". That would be trivalizing things quite a bit.

So many things change when you don't have a gi. You lose certain techniques, and you have to alter some of them, the set ups have to change, geez, I'm quite sure there are many things I'm overlooking.

It would be nice to see an instructional set/book demonstrating each throw with and without a gi, as well as strategy changes, etc.
Posted by: Taison

Re: Karo Parisyan and No-Gi Judo - 12/28/05 10:24 PM

At my Dojo we train 3 times a week, with one day being without a gi.

When we don't wear gi, it becomes more like wrestling than judo.

-Taison out
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Karo Parisyan and No-Gi Judo - 12/29/05 03:13 AM

Judo No Gi?

Greco?
Posted by: Subedei

Re: Karo Parisyan and No-Gi Judo - 12/29/05 03:22 AM

Judo no Gi? Judo no Gi??
Posted by: AikidoForReal

Re: Karo Parisyan and No-Gi Judo - 01/16/06 06:27 PM

I've been working on getting No Gi Judo to work for several years with some decent success. Like was said before, Judo doesn't transfer that easy at all. Certain techniques don't work without a gi. Greco roman isn't a good comparison because they don't attack the legs with sweeps, reaps or trips. I've come up with a group of techniques, principles and strategies and I've been putting it all into writing for some time now..
Here's a few quick ideas..
1) Grips-without a gi there are 3 or 4 main gripping situations that will affect which throws you can use. The main gripping situations are the over under tie up, the biceps and collar tie up, and the double biceps tie up. The over under tie up is perfect for setting up forward backward combinations like ouchi/kouchi to drop knee shoulder throw. It works easily because the opponent will lean forward as he retreats from the leg trips which sets him up perfectly for a shoulder throw. Also, you can shift from the over under into an arm drag to pull the opponent in a circular manner to setup the kouchi/ouchi/osoto gari techniques.
Uchi-mata works best as a setup to an ankle pick. Its hard to get the full throw with shoes on and a lack of body contact or without a gi. But, wrestlers use it as a balance breaking move to lead into other techniques.
Judo throws need to be executed slightly differently without a gi. The back carry/shoulder throw without a gi uses the top of the shoulder under the armpit, not the biceps. Kouchi gari uses the chest for bumping into the opponent and more of a hooking action with the lower calf instead of the foot.
All of these ideas can be seen and verified in wrestling if you study it carefully.
If you're interested in any of this let me know.
Posted by: Taison

Re: Karo Parisyan and No-Gi Judo - 01/16/06 09:26 PM

Strangely, THAT'S EXACTLY HOW JUDO IS TAUGHT BY MY MASTER. . .

If you plan to use Judo without gi, i suggest that you hold one arm and squeeze it inbetween your bicep and body and the other arm to hold around the neck and push it towards you. Remember, the arm you are holding, you should be holding it ABOVE the elbow. Now try to push your chest to his and let your head lay next to his. This looks like an amateur wrestling guard but from this position, you can throw uchi-mata, osoto-gari, ippon seoi-nage, yoko gake, etc. . It's quite a nice guard.

-Taison out
Posted by: azjudoaikijitsu

Re: Karo Parisyan and No-Gi Judo - 01/16/06 09:59 PM

Transferring to no gi, simply takes time and trial and error. Keep in Parisyan studies with Gene LaBelle, one of the great no gi judo guys of all time. Without the guy judo is still not greco, some take downs are similar, but many more are still throws. No gi judo is more closer to no gi BJJ then it is greco
Posted by: SubZero

Re: Karo Parisyan and No-Gi Judo - 02/13/06 11:57 PM

Bumped because the class I went to tonight was no-dogi. You should've been there, Oldman! Our sensei showed us ground techniques you can use in street clothes. We got out the crash pads at the end and practiced throwing each other without the dogis.
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Karo Parisyan and No-Gi Judo - 02/14/06 11:52 PM

Quote:

Transferring to no gi, simply takes time and trial and error. Keep in Parisyan studies with Gene LaBelle, one of the great no gi judo guys of all time. Without the guy judo is still not greco, some take downs are similar, but many more are still throws. No gi judo is more closer to no gi BJJ then it is greco

As BJJ includes both Judo tactics as well as Greco and Freestyle Wrestling, it has really very little that is exclusive to it's own syllabus as far as the takedown game. The tie ups needed to work Judo without the gi can mostly be found in Greco. They are not the same but very similar and I would suggest that anyone looking to better their takedowns seek out instruction from qualified coaches in these systems.