jujitsu on the streets?

Posted by: thepanda

jujitsu on the streets? - 12/15/05 12:10 PM

sorry if this should be in the SDforum, i currently do jikishin jujitsu and i really enjoy it, i just wanted to know how practical it would be on the streets, i mean, in the dojo the moves are prearranged, but outside, they are not. Even if jikishin isn't very good for street fighting i'd still do it for the sheer enjoyment.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: jujitsu on the streets? - 12/15/05 05:04 PM

Well, if you train it in a non-resisting environment, you'll have to change what you've learned so that it will work on the street.

The techniques will work, they just might not work quite the way you trained them. This is the importance of sparring and randori. They will help you understand how the techniques can be applied against a resisting opponent.

Don't expect to begin sparring until later grades, if at all, in many JJ schools.
Posted by: mukashimantis

Re: jujitsu on the streets? - 12/15/05 05:51 PM

i have used my jujitsu in outside encountersmaybe 12 times (actuall fight s ,not just words).i have been training since 1985.mostly striking but i had a few that used actuall hakkoryu escape techniques.if you practice hard in the dojo,and by that I mean have uke (your partner grabbing you) treat you like a street situation,rough grabs hard pushes even slapping to stun you.this makes for more realistic fight training.hope this helps.mantis

Re: jujitsu on the streets? - 12/15/05 06:07 PM

thanks for the input, sometimes i would have a partner who acts like it is real, which is good because it makes you more alert, to be honest i'd rather have a partner throwing a hard punch at me as a challenge rather than someone who can't be bothered. Has anyone actually heard of jikishin or had any experience with it, if so whats it like compared to other styles of jujitsu or other martial arts?
Posted by: h2whoa

Re: jujitsu on the streets? - 12/16/05 04:05 AM

Training in hapkido is quite similar...I am lucky that the people in my grade are a little nuts , and we go at it quit intensly...but with joint locks you must remember that the angle of resistance is your angle of attack....for example....if you block and grab the wrist.....if he pulls away you excecute a technique moving in towards hi.....if he pushes....you excecute a technique moving backward!

I hope that made sense!

*bows respectfully*

Re: jujitsu on the streets? - 12/16/05 11:55 AM

i think i get what you mean, so, you're saying its about using the energy of a person against them (no offence, but its kind of a given in jujitsu) and adapt to what they do.
Posted by: h2whoa

Re: jujitsu on the streets? - 12/16/05 04:37 PM

Yes but that is what its all about....if your opponent uses force any kind of force than Jujitsu will be effective!

I think the fact that your opponent will use force....no offence....is a given! It is what you do with that force that is what is effective!

Just because you lern a technique

doesnt mean you have to follow it....you can jump from one straight to five....or start from three...each situation is different how you react will be different...that is all I am going to say because this is a "effectiveness" thread and Jujitsu is HIGHLY effective.....otherwise it would not have stood the test of time!

*bows respectfully*
Posted by: DaDoN_1

Re: jujitsu on the streets? - 12/18/05 01:15 PM

it's simple....variations of techniques that u learnt...knowing when to apply what, actually it's not that simple but as someone b4 said randori is a key, and continuous sparring also(full contact) works pretty well