Hapkido questions

Posted by: moosulman

Hapkido questions - 10/30/05 08:43 PM

Being Korean and having researched it, I have an idea of what Hapkido is. However, I still have some questions.

I'm not trying to incite some sort of controversy. But in your opinions, would you say it's an effective form of fighting?

I know it has throwing techniques like judo. Are there a lot of these in hapkido and are there a wide variety of throw moves?

What about groundwork? Does hapkido teach groundfighting, joint locks, submissions etc etc?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Hapkido questions - 10/30/05 08:49 PM

Moosulman -

You are on thin ice with all the "effectiveness" questions about Korean arts. Stop asking these questions and do some MORE research!

Re: Hapkido questions - 10/30/05 09:03 PM

Fine let's take out effectiveness. I just want to know though.

Are there a lot of throws? They varied?

What about groudnwork? Please stop getting angry and read the question
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Hapkido questions - 10/30/05 09:05 PM

I HAVE read many of your so-called questions, that is why I am warning you.

Re: Hapkido questions - 10/30/05 09:14 PM

Can I please get an answer here instead of criticism?

I just want to know about hapkido's techniques.. wow ...
Posted by: h2whoa

Re: Hapkido questions - 10/30/05 09:20 PM

Having studied hapkido for 10 years now. I would like to tell you that as a fighting art it is one of the most complete. It has striking,joint locks,strikes,throws, groundfighting, it doesnt purely focus on one thing but teaches you alot of everything. At advanced levels they have techniques where you can use your instep and knee to break your enemies knee. It is a very good system!!

*bows respectfully*
Posted by: oldman

Re: Hapkido questions - 10/30/05 11:19 PM

There's your answer.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Hapkido questions - 10/30/05 11:23 PM

Hapkido is considered by many the Korean version of Japanese Jujitsu. Some stand up, holds, bars, ground fighting, sweeps, throws, etc. It really is a good martial art ... just like all of the others. All have something to offer if you look for it.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Hapkido questions - 10/31/05 11:42 AM

Its connection to Aiki-Jujits makes it look like Japanese Jujitsu or more like Aiki-do. But Hapkido likeness ends there Hapkido has as many hand and feet techniques as Tang-soo-do or Old style TKD.

It concentration is on Its Aiki-Jujits but it also emphasises kicks, I am particular impressed by their use of power kicks to the back and spine area this is usually totally a off limits in competition arts. And for good reason but its a valid target on the street.
Posted by: Lord_Morningstar

Re: Hapkido questions - 11/13/05 02:53 PM

I’m sure we’ve been through this before, but broad questions about the effectiveness of an art are near meangingless. It depends on so many factors, from the quality of the school and instructor to the student’s own experience and mindset. Hapkido is a very comprehensive martial art, focused on practical fighting and self-defence and providing its practioners with a wide range of skills. Whether they would be any use of the street depends if they’ve been practiced correctly. A lot of traditional martial arts have a weakness in that regard – the students spend too much of their time doing set moves on willing opponents (some make up for that with a sporting aspect, but then students get too used to fighting by rules, so it's a bit of a nowin situation). Still, I do Hapkido, and taught and practiced correctly, I would be willing to put a lot of faith in it.
Posted by: MiSt

Re: Hapkido questions - 11/14/05 08:09 AM

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/15793701/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Hapkido questions - 11/14/05 03:00 PM

I never mentioned anything about Hapkido effectiveness.
I only stated that the schools that I've visited don't practice for competition sparring they are more self defense orientated and target areas that are taboo in tourneys, like the back of the body. I personally Like that in a ART.

There's no issue here just my personal opinon be it right in anothers eyes or wrong. It still my O. I'm judging no one or no art. Good luck In your studies ands teaching of the art of Hapkido.
Posted by: ToddR

Re: Hapkido questions - 12/07/05 01:08 PM

These are always controversial, not to mention effete, questions--whether an art is effective or whether one art is better than another--mainly, IMHO, because it nearly always has less to do with the art than it does how the art is being taught, how good the instructor is, and most importantly how good the practitioner is. We've all known and trained with black belts in certain arts that couldn't punch their way out of a paper bag and we've all worked out with people who had very little training but who were naturally good fighters--tough, good strikers, moved well, good chins, etc.

As an art, I have confidence that hapkido, like most other martial arts, will provide you with everything you need to become an effective martial artist--depending on what it is you want to do. However, like I said, you should be focusing more on a particular school and its instructors instead of asking general questions about the effectiveness of an art in the abstract. Find a few hapkido schools in your area and check them out; spar with some of the students if that's possible and find out for yourself what kind of martial artists the school is producing.

If you're ever in Lancaster, PA, stop by www.lfmac.com and attend a class, esp. the one on Tuesday nights when the upper level belts spar. Now, we're by no means a bunch of bad-a$$ fighters (unless you count our instructor) but I think we have a good bunch of folks with well-rounded skills sets--some are better punchers, some better kickers, some better grapplers, and some better at joint-locks and throws.

I encourage you to check out hapkido and come back and post with your opinions about what you found.

Cheers.
Todd R
Posted by: Shinobiteacher1

Re: Hapkido questions - 12/07/05 01:48 PM

Quote:

Having studied hapkido for 10 years now. I would like to tell you that as a fighting art it is one of the most complete. It has striking,joint locks,strikes,throws, groundfighting, it doesnt purely focus on one thing but teaches you alot of everything. At advanced levels they have techniques where you can use your instep and knee to break your enemies knee. It is a very good system!!

*bows respectfully*

Could'nt have said it better myself....
Well maybe alittle better. <GRIN>
Posted by: schanne

Re: Hapkido questions - 12/08/05 03:15 PM

Here are a number of Hapkido website that will give you an idea what the style is like, how effective is hapkido? Not going to debate that since I'm pro HKD, a matter of fact I'm pro MA, what works at that particular moment when your attacked is what works. Personally I wouldn't want to depend on just one style... as for ring competition I could care less.

http://www.worldhapkido.com/videoclips.htm

http://www.jinjungkwan.com/demonstration.htm

http://www.hapkiyoosool.com/video.htm

http://hapkido.netro.com.au/index_files/Technique.htm

http://www.tmi-selfdefense.com/m_vids.html

http://www.hapki.co.uk/galleryvid.asp