How is judo effective? Serious question.

Posted by: moosulman

How is judo effective? Serious question. - 10/30/05 10:05 AM

I've heard many things like "judo is just sport".

But I've also heard that it's effective in a fight. How so? How would judo serve you well in a fight? Would throwing someone actually hurt them?

Is it really effective?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: How is judo effective? Serious question. - 10/30/05 10:16 AM

Judo can be very effective. It is trained in an enviroment where the opponents are constantly trying to resist your techniques, so Judo folks have a very good idea how to apply the techniques for real.

Do you think being thrown on your head on a sidewalk or a street would hurt? Or even just slammed down on your back?
Posted by: JKogas

Re: How is judo effective? Serious question. - 10/30/05 10:57 AM

Matt is right! Being thrown can suck. If the guy understands joint locks, he can throw you and catch you in a submission VERY quickly. Many times after being thrown, you have about a second and a half to two seconds where the guy is stunned after being thrown where you can quickly catch him in a submission if you are good.

Like anything else, it depends on how skilled the judoka is and how he has trained. Not all judo guys train for "sport". Knowing the differences between "art" and "sport" will serve you well.

So to answer your question, yes, judo "can" be very effective if YOU are effective at judo!

-John
Posted by: butterfly

Re: How is judo effective? Serious question. - 10/30/05 11:07 AM

Moosulman,

I remember years ago watching CNN where a small group (2-3 individuals) attacked a former Olympic Team Judoka in a small convenience store he owned in New York.

The funniest thing that I remember is that the owner of the store refused an interview, but they did show one of the attackers on an ambulance gurny being shoved in the back of the ambulance.

I still smile at that.

And, OK, my experience: I was instructed by a fourth dan BB in judo. He won a BJJ tournament, heavy weight BB division in Dominguez Hills, CA. I believe it was 2002.

I have seen him manhandle purple belts and brown belts in BJJ. I have also known him to loose by points in another BJJ tournament at BB level. But no one is perfect.

All, I am saying is that the guy was good. Doesn't mean every Judoka is going to be that good, but that to dismiss outright all of Judo is foolish.

Judo can be phenomenal. I like it, don't practice it now, but I try not underestimate it....and never dismiss it for real, self-defense use.

-B
Posted by: moosulman

Re: How is judo effective? Serious question. - 10/30/05 11:32 AM

Is sport judo effective too?
Posted by: butterfly

Re: How is judo effective? Serious question. - 10/30/05 12:02 PM

Moosulman,

I think you are misconstruing application here. There is no difference, for instance, between a sport over-the-shoulder-throw or a defensive over-the-shoulder-throw (ipon sei-o-nage). They are the same.

The difference in training would lie in focus of techniques and ultimately of intent for those techniques. Not in the format in which it is shown or how it is trained.

I would say that if you have some competitive background using these techniques, you would have a better chance of applying these techniques.

This, BTW, would be very different that a sporting environment for a striking art where only controlled techniques and points are alloted and thus the complete utility of a technique comes into question. That, you have to make qualifications for.

A judo throw done well on a resisting opponentn is a judo throw done well, regardless.

-B
Posted by: h2whoa

Re: How is judo effective? Serious question. - 10/30/05 03:56 PM

Quote:

I've heard many things like "judo is just sport".

But I've also heard that it's effective in a fight. How so? How would judo serve you well in a fight? Would throwing someone actually hurt them?

Is it really effective?

If you cosider bouncing someones head off the concrete effective, than it is !

*bows repectfully*
Posted by: RobNus

Re: How is judo effective? Serious question. - 10/30/05 05:21 PM

Quote:

The difference in training would lie in focus of techniques and ultimately of intent for those techniques.

Intent. thats the key. perfect word for it!
Posted by: NEAS

Re: How is judo effective? Serious question. - 10/30/05 05:44 PM

Huhmmm,,, Judo could be effective? Poss in some scenarios depending on the ability of the user and the aggressor.
Judo could give a person more experience in the rough and tumble of a street fights if they have little experience. The down fall of judo and some clinching methods is if a person comes up against some one who is sly fast and has high striking ability, head butts fists etc and if only judo has been trained by the defender then judo men can and are wide open. Other problem is that most things in Judo etc are based on the old method of how the Japanese use to dress eg the GI. I also think it depends on a persons ability.
Posted by: RobNus

Re: How is judo effective? Serious question. - 10/30/05 05:53 PM

Quote:

Other problem is that most things in Judo etc are based on the old method of how the Japanese use to dress eg the GI.

well hopefully if the judo is being taught for self defense, it wont rely on clothes. See here
Posted by: h2whoa

Re: How is judo effective? Serious question. - 10/30/05 06:36 PM

Quote:

The down fall of judo and some clinching methods is if a person comes up against some one who is sly fast and has high striking ability, head butts fists etc

Please tell me why Judokas are unable to headbutt, or use fists but will only try to throw?? No matter what art you learn you will have trouble against a good striker, but if UFC has taught us anything it is that the ratio of wins of grapplers vs strikers, favour the grapplers.

*bows respectfully*
Posted by: JKogas

Re: How is judo effective? Serious question. - 10/30/05 06:47 PM

Quote:

Judo could give a person more experience in the rough and tumble of a street fights if they have little experience.

That’s what grappling training provides (be-it, standing or ground grappling). Of course you have to prepare for attacks via strikes to vital targets, etc., but overall, a lot of wrestling training will go a long way toward preparing an individual for a “rough and tumble”, so to speak.

Quote:

The down fall of judo and some clinching methods is if a person comes up against some one who is sly fast and has high striking ability, head butts fists etc and if only judo has been trained by the defender then judo men can and are wide open. Other problem is that most things in Judo etc are based on the old method of how the Japanese use to dress eg the GI. I also think it depends on a persons ability.

Well, the way to address the weaknesses is to practice clinching (regardless of standing grappling art, judo or Greco-Roman) against someone trying to hit you as hard as possible while only obtaining your grips using the under and over-hooks. This IS easily done as well!

You don’t have to train full out all the time however. It’s more important to get your timing down and then add more power behind the strikes occasionally. It’s important to come hard but it’s MORE important not to get injured during training.

-John
Posted by: SenseiMike

Re: How is judo effective? Serious question. - 11/19/05 09:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The down fall of judo and some clinching methods is if a person comes up against some one who is sly fast and has high striking ability, head butts fists etc

Please tell me why Judokas are unable to headbutt, or use fists but will only try to throw?? No matter what art you learn you will have trouble against a good striker, but if UFC has taught us anything it is that the ratio of wins of grapplers vs strikers, favour the grapplers.

*bows respectfully* [/quote

In my dojo our primary is shotokan karate, which in it's throwing and clinching techniche is some what similar to judo. I incoporate judo into the karate lessons once they've learned the basic body movements and body shifting from karate. But randori is pretty much anything goes, we drop the jackets and spar in t-shirts or "wife-beaters" and strike like crazy, how-ever it ALLWAYS goes to the ground.

You just have to learn to adjust the judo, forexample arm based throws & leg sweeps much better choice vs a striker than going trying to muscle into a hip throw.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: How is judo effective? Serious question. - 11/19/05 10:00 AM

I would say that "sport" training is more useful than most people believe for self defense. Because it puts you in situations similar to what you would experience in defending yourself.
Posted by: trevek

Re: How is judo effective? Serious question. - 11/19/05 10:38 AM

Maybe people don't dress in a gi much these days, but a decent jacket will work. If, like me, you live in a place with cold winters then people are dressed in heavy clothes a lot and you'll probably end up on the floor when you slip on the ice.

An idea of judo's effectiveness is how many police forces train in it.
Posted by: SubZero

Re: How is judo effective? Serious question. - 11/22/05 02:08 AM

I would say if the situation warranted it, breaking someone's arm or choking them unconscious could be very effective. Don't forget jujitsu was a self defense system first, then a sport.
Posted by: fileboy2002

Re: How is judo effective? Serious question. - 11/22/05 02:10 AM

Judo is probably one of the most effective self-defense arts around. To asnwer your question, thowing someone outside the dojo can seriously injure them--it is not unusual for people who are thrown to be knocked unconscious, suffer broken bones, or worse. Remember, there are no mats to catch people out in the real world, and most people do not know how to break their fall.

Juso is one of the few arts where practioners regularly compete in realstic fights--that experience alone makes judo a great practical martial art.
Posted by: SubZero

Re: How is judo effective? Serious question. - 11/22/05 03:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

In my school for every belt you're required to know certain atemi-waza, or striking techniques. Granted, you can't use them in a judo competition or randori (free-sparring), but you're still required to learn them.

ETA: We learn blocks too.
Posted by: eyrie

Re: How is judo effective? Serious question. - 11/22/05 04:36 AM

C'mon guys.... this is another "is XYZ effective" thread.

[Insert MA here] provides the practitioner with a basic skill set and technical repertoire. It is up to the practitioner to make it effective.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: How is judo effective? Serious question. - 11/22/05 11:57 AM

As MattJ stated Judo is realistic and thereby practicle add any striking art you almost got a full spectrum of ranges.

Judo in the USA was what Bjj is now, minus the stand up skills. Combat/Anicent JJ has always covered a full spectrum of ranges but mostly throwing, locks and inside.

Judo is very effective because its real. And U know what really works for you, change the mindset and its on.
Posted by: Taison

Re: How is judo effective? Serious question. - 11/24/05 11:26 PM

I've been thrown by a Judoka once, and it was on a mat. I can't imagine how devastating it would have been if it was concrete floor. That throw really hurt my back a lot.

-Taison out

Re: How is judo effective? Serious question. - 11/24/05 11:45 PM

The Founder of Aikido used to throw many high-ranking judokas all over the mat like rag dolls. Many of these stayed on to learn aikido and in time, become famous aikido teachers themselves. E.g. Shioda, Tohei, Tomiki etc. etc.

And people say aikido not real...
Posted by: BigRod

Re: How is judo effective? Serious question. - 11/24/05 11:48 PM

Quote:

The Founder of Aikido used to throw many high-ranking judokas all over the mat like rag dolls.

Wasn't the founder of Aikido very well versed in Judo? I think so, but I don't really know.

Re: How is judo effective? Serious question. - 11/25/05 05:08 AM

Ya got me BigRod.

Yes, he did study Judo, at a very young age. And also Yagyu Shinkage-ryu kenjutsu.

Re: How is judo effective? Serious question. - 11/26/05 09:22 AM

DOH!!! That post didn't belong here!

My bad....
Posted by: Dudley32

Re: How is judo effective? Serious question. - 11/26/05 09:30 AM

Im sorry, but what a stupid question.
No Moosulman, we sweat or butts off training just so we can throw for pretend.
Have you ever had someone pick you up and throw you down on your back on concrete?
Questioned answered
Matt

Re: How is judo effective? Serious question. - 11/26/05 02:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

In my school for every belt you're required to know certain atemi-waza, or striking techniques. Granted, you can't use them in a judo competition or randori (free-sparring), but you're still required to learn them.

ETA: We learn blocks too. [/h2whoa]In my school for every belt you're required to know certain atemi-waza, or striking techniques. Granted, you can't use them in a judo competition or randori (free-sparring), but you're still required to learn them.

quote]

Ok good. But learning and automating a technique are differant. I know plenty of people who can throw 1 or 2 good kicks or punches but put that into a real fight?
I know excellent grapplers with some under developed striking skills. This I feel is a weakness that shouldnt be there and it is often exploited by people like myself. I have some grappling and throwing skills which I keep improving. But Im afraid from my fighting experience a grappler with minimum not automated striking skills is saying good night.Yeah I know some of you are going to say a good grappler is going to close me down. hasnt happend yet.

Re: How is judo effective? Serious question. - 11/26/05 03:01 PM

Quote:

The Founder of Aikido used to throw many high-ranking judokas all over the mat like rag dolls. Many of these stayed on to learn aikido and in time, become famous aikido teachers themselves. E.g. Shioda, Tohei, Tomiki etc. etc.

Ok what about trying against an excellent striker??? Would he get thrown about? Dont think so.Come to think about it why didnt thir guy try against an excellent striker? This guy still alive?
And people say aikido not real...

Re: How is judo effective? Serious question. - 11/26/05 03:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

*bows respectfully*

[/The question was about judo training since when are you taught headbutting or a high striking level in Judo?
I wasnt. Unless they have changed the way they train quote
Grappling is better than striking????
Ahh the who is the best question.Grappler or striker? Answer? neither
A person needs both sets of skills .]
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: How is judo effective? Serious question. - 11/26/05 03:13 PM

I'm not sure, does the forum have a tutorial on using quotes properly?

Re: How is judo effective? Serious question. - 11/26/05 03:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Judo could give a person more experience in the rough and tumble of a street fights if they have little experience.

That’s what grappling training provides (be-it, standing or ground grappling). Of course you have to prepare for attacks via strikes to vital targets, etc., but overall, a lot of wrestling training will go a long way toward preparing an individual for a “rough and tumble”, so to speak.

Quote:

The down fall of judo and some clinching methods is if a person comes up against some one who is sly fast and has high striking ability, head butts fists etc and if only judo has been trained by the defender then judo men can and are wide open. Other problem is that most things in Judo etc are based on the old method of how the Japanese use to dress eg the GI. I also think it depends on a persons ability.

Well, the way to address the weaknesses is to practice clinching (regardless of standing grappling art, judo or Greco-Roman) against someone trying to hit you as hard as possible while only obtaining your grips using the under and over-hooks. This IS easily done as well!

You don’t have to train full out all the time however. It’s more important to get your timing down and then add more power behind the strikes occasionally. It’s important to come hard but it’s MORE important not to get injured during training.

-

John [Yeah but a person that only trains grappling is going to have to be very very fast and then its never happend to me. Why not train the grappler in striking as well? Easy in training attempting close downs> nigh on impossable against a realy fast striker.Grappler minus striking skills =a stunned grapplerx if their lucky or night night./quote]
Posted by: Foundation

Re: How is judo effective? Serious question. - 11/26/05 04:34 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure, does the forum have a tutorial on using quotes properly?

I don't think so, but what can possibly go wrong with the quotes, I never had one wrong?

For the people who don't know it, you put [ quote ] in front of the part you want to quote and [ / quote ] behind the text you quoted, without the spaces between the brackets. It's not that hard give it a try
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: How is judo effective? Serious question. - 11/26/05 10:00 PM

just gonna throw in my 2pence. i'm not a regular here but i did judo for a while when i was younger.

judo visually looks ineffective when you see two judoka sparring because they seem to get strait back up again after being thrown or disbalanced, this as i think we all know is because we're trained to land propery and roll properly.

what makes it effective against someone who doesn't know how to fall is that because they can't fall, they'll land in alkward positions breaking bones etc. this is one of the major failings of stand-up arts, they don't teach you how to fall properly.

Re: How is judo effective? Serious question. - 11/29/05 07:57 PM

Quote:

judo visually looks ineffective when you see two judoka sparring because they seem to get strait back up again after being thrown or disbalanced, this as i think we all know is because we're trained to land propery and roll properly.

I think training on mats has a lot to do with that as well. I dont know how much knowing how to fall benefits you when you land on concrete. That's an experiment I will never willing try.
Posted by: Taison

Re: How is judo effective? Serious question. - 11/29/05 09:47 PM

At least he got his own unique rank now
Quote:

NEAS
Quote Mangler
Reged: 10/30/05

That's so damn hilarious I just can't stop laughing. . . Ouch, I just fell off my chair

-Taison out
ps. . HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH
Posted by: trevek

Re: How is judo effective? Serious question. - 12/02/05 06:33 PM

Quote:

I dont know how much knowing how to fall benefits you when you land on concrete.

It stands you in much better stead than if you don't know.

What's also fun is getting someone in a position where they can't break-fall, like in Backhold wrestling.

Oh, an earlier quote referred to Greco-Roman as a stand-up style. It does have groundwork too.