What is the major difference in BJJ and JJ?

Posted by: Neko456

What is the major difference in BJJ and JJ? - 10/24/05 04:13 PM

What is the major difference in BJJ and JJ? Whats the Pros & Cons.

Of course BJ stresses more Ground work and less vareity throws. Most of its standup involves getting into a clinch & certain throws/takedowns. IMO.

Japanese Jujitsu stresses a wider range of strikes/kicks and standup fighting, throws, takedowns, locks, chokes, cranks and a boarder range of self-defense. IMO.

Fitness might be another factor some of the JJ train no harder then a Karate dojo, whereas the BJj train like college wrestlers in that its more gruleing because they are training for eventual MMA. Right???
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: What is the major difference in BJJ and JJ? - 10/24/05 06:02 PM

From what I've seen, the techniques are almost identical, with slight differences in position. The difference is the emphasis of each. JJJ is more variable, different schools will have different emphasis. So some schools focus on striking more and others throws and still others focus on groundwork more. BJJ is consistently groundwork oriented although the syllabus does contain a lot of standing material including stuff taken from wrestling (most of which incidentally is also found in JJJ but for some reason seems to be less used)

As to exercise, while my Scottish Dojo is quite light on the exercise, my Singapore Dojo is very heavy on training for strength and endurance (although this is not done quite so much in class) the Dojo has a small gym with weights, etc and students are free to use it any time. So you see, even this differs between different schools. What you get when you enter JJJ is basically luck of the draw.
Posted by: MiSt

Re: What is the major difference in BJJ and JJ? - 10/25/05 09:13 AM

The impression I get is that the biggest difference is in that of training methods.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: What is the major difference in BJJ and JJ? - 10/25/05 02:59 PM

Neko,

Your description is pretty accurate however, BJJ resembles Judo more than Jujutsu which has much less ground work. IMO (I'm estimating here), 75% of BJJ is basic Judo Ne-waza (ground techniques). The other 25% are inovations. You won't see the extensive repetoir of throws in BJJ that you'll see in Judo either. BJJ also lacks Yubi-waza (finger techniques) that you'll find in Jujutsu.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: What is the major difference in BJJ and JJ? - 10/25/05 06:56 PM

BJJ gyms definitely tend to train harder. There is often a greater emphasis on sparring.

Many BJJ guys also work on their striking as well.

-John