Your "Bread and Butter" Throw?

Posted by: BigRod

Your "Bread and Butter" Throw? - 07/26/05 01:48 PM

I'm really not even average at Judo, but if I have a bread and butter move it's the Tomanage.
Posted by: thegnome

Re: Your "Bread and Butter" Throw? - 07/26/05 02:21 PM

Kosotogake, as a hip counter. Not usually an Ippon throw but it fits my build.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Your "Bread and Butter" Throw? - 07/26/05 02:23 PM

I don't do Judo, but I use what looks like Osoto-gari with good effect.
Posted by: Leonine

Re: Your "Bread and Butter" Throw? - 08/01/05 04:15 PM

Not in Judo, so I don't know the names, but my wasit hold hip throw has never ever failed me, in tournaments or training.
Posted by: Tant01

Re: Your "Bread and Butter" Throw? - 08/01/05 05:08 PM

Quote:

Not in Judo, so I don't know the names, but my wasit hold hip throw has never ever failed me, in tournaments or training.

Sounds (reads) like O Goshi (major hip throw)
http://www.judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/ogoshi.htm

Or maybe the Tsuri Goshi (lifting hip throw)
http://www.judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/tsurigoshi.htm
One of my bread and butter throws is the Harai Goshi or sweeping hip throw.

http://www.judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/haraigoshi.htm

Good stuff!
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Your "Bread and Butter" Throw? - 08/01/05 06:30 PM

Easy one: Ouchi gari (inside trip). You can easily transition to the other leg if he manages to counter the first attempt. It's also sneaky as hell and that's a major plus.

-John

Re: Your "Bread and Butter" Throw? - 08/02/05 06:46 AM

nice....

I would have never thought of that.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Your "Bread and Butter" Throw? - 08/02/05 11:32 AM

I'd say mine would be Ogoshi but I have a decent Osoto Gari too.
Posted by: Paranormalma

Re: Your "Bread and Butter" Throw? - 08/02/05 01:28 PM

Quote:

Easy one: Ouchi gari (inside trip). You can easily transition to the other leg if he manages to counter the first attempt. It's also sneaky as hell and that's a major plus.

-John

Ditto! Ouchi Gari and Ko Ouchi Gari are extremely effective.
I'm also a big fan of Ushiro Goshi, transitioning into an arm bar.
Posted by: Leonine

Re: Your "Bread and Butter" Throw? - 08/02/05 04:22 PM

Hmm, mine is like O Goshi with a hip thrust to give them a lift. So I guess it's both.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Your "Bread and Butter" Throw? - 08/02/05 05:02 PM

I'm not a Judoka but the throws I like to use in the dojo or sparring Head lock- OGoshi=(don't know what its called)?, Osotogari, Uchimata, & Seionage. On the street the most used is de-ashi-bari = outside/inside ankle sweep.

Re: Your "Bread and Butter" Throw? - 08/02/05 09:51 PM

Have you guys seen Karo Parisyan do the Kimura throw?

He uses two basic throws; one is Harai Goshi and Sumi Gaeshi. I also use those a lot during training.

-John

Re: Your "Bread and Butter" Throw? - 08/02/05 11:00 PM

Quote:

Have you guys seen Karo Parisyan do the Kimura throw?

He uses two basic throws; one is Harai Goshi and Sumi Gaeshi. I also use those a lot during training.-John

Kimura throw? Pardon my ignorance but the man had a mean O soto Gari... Kimura used to practice this throw on trees.

What is a Kimura throw? Kansetsu nage? Armlock throw?

Thanks.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Your "Bread and Butter" Throw? - 08/03/05 11:57 AM

What is a Kimura throw? Kansetsu nage? Armlock throw?

I'm with you I thought the Kimura was a shoulder/elbow arm lock, sounds old fashsion Jujitsu to me, where you are broken while into the throw. How is your elbow going to hold up all your weight.

You must not have many randori/practice partners. Or they only practice with you once, with two arms. LOL.

Re: Your "Bread and Butter" Throw? - 08/03/05 12:37 PM

The Kimura throw...

Go here: http://www.groundfighter.com/details/prodid/199.html

Scroll down to "Volume 5. Kimura. ". Click on Watch Video.

It's a downloadable clip of Karo teaching the move.

This is a slick move, that while I have not personally used it, I think can be quite effective.
Posted by: PiBster

Re: Your "Bread and Butter" Throw? - 08/03/05 06:00 PM

My favourite throw has to be either:

O-soto-gari

or

Yama arashi - also known as mountain storm.

I love the second one because its fabulous for turning someone's running-at-you-full-tilt-energy into catapulting them across the hall.
Whereas the first can be used to great effect when you are walking towards an opponent.

Damn i miss being able to train

PiB
Posted by: PiBster

Re: Your "Bread and Butter" Throw? - 08/03/05 06:06 PM

Thanks for the link - just watched it - Kimura looks remarkably similar to the Rice Bail throw we're taught except it starts from a headlock...

But i've been out of training since March so forgive me if i'm talking elvish.
Posted by: hugo

Re: Your "Bread and Butter" Throw? - 08/04/05 01:42 AM

Judo uses no armlock throws as they are to dangerous. I think you mean something else or you are talkign jujutsu.

Re: Your "Bread and Butter" Throw? - 08/04/05 01:47 AM

Wow I've forgotten the names of more difficult techniques and I can't even remember Uchimata. I need to revise. I can do them all I've just forgotten the names of a few.

Re: Your "Bread and Butter" Throw? - 08/04/05 04:50 AM

I've been doing Judo for 7 years and I'm 13 so if you have anythign you want to ask me then feel free to email me or just private message me.

Re: Your "Bread and Butter" Throw? - 08/04/05 06:36 AM

When I wrote this above:

Quote:

He uses two basic throws; one is Harai Goshi and Sumi Gaeshi. I also use those a lot during training

What I meant to say (and didn't clarify) was that, he uses THOSE two throws from his Kimura entanglement to score the takedown. So the Kimura throw is based upon those two.

Thanks,

-John
Posted by: Budokan for fun

Re: Your "Bread and Butter" Throw? - 08/04/05 11:18 AM

Nice link Big rod, thanks

The one throw I regularly use during randori is tani otoshi. IMO itīs a great punishment throw and you can find lots of openings to it during randori.

Works great against koshi guruma for example: When my oppenent starts executing the throw I slip my head under his arm and get behind his back. There you have a great opening to tani otoshi or ura nage, ushiro goshi, utsuri goshi etc.

Iīve also been out of training for over an year now, because of sickness PIBster.(I donīt know what itīs name is or how to explain it in english. Not that you would be interested though) It really sucks doesnīt it. But soon Iīm striking back to the dojo !

Whatever your reason I hope you can make it back to judo soon.
Posted by: tao_majick

Re: Your "Bread and Butter" Throw? - 08/29/05 10:12 PM

I'm not a Judoka, I'm a wrestler....but my bread and butter throws are the Japanese Wizzer, Head Throw, and the Latteral.
Posted by: xuzen_628

Re: Your "Bread and Butter" Throw? - 09/01/05 03:47 AM

For offensive, it is The Clothesline (Irimi nage)
For counter/reversal, I love to sutemi my partner and to see the surprise look on their face.

For being nasty.... The Suplex.

Xwf
Posted by: gus

Re: Your "Bread and Butter" Throw? - 09/04/05 09:21 PM

Quote:

I'm really not even average at Judo, but if I have a bread and butter move it's the Tomanage.

.when I first started playing .(1959)I always got dumped by that throw.My sensei(mel Bruno)told me to pintch my "cheeks"togetherso that I wouldnt bend forward.that stoped most of them

Re: Your "Bread and Butter" Throw? - 09/09/05 11:48 PM

Quote:

When I wrote this above:

Quote:

He uses two basic throws; one is Harai Goshi and Sumi Gaeshi. I also use those a lot during training

What I meant to say (and didn't clarify) was that, he uses THOSE two throws from his Kimura entanglement to score the takedown. So the Kimura throw is based upon those two.

Thanks,

-John

Thanks ~John.
Posted by: IronBones

Re: Your "Bread and Butter" Throw? - 09/15/05 12:49 PM

The single leg takedown. Easy and effective.
Posted by: americanNinja

Re: Your "Bread and Butter" Throw? - 09/20/05 02:25 PM

As a judoka, when clowning around with friends I find myself at a loss for techniques because I don't want to ruin their clothes. Normal people's clothes are not as strong as a cheap judogi.

So I am stuck to the simpler ones. O Soto Gari and Ogoshi. Most people wear pants, and even without a belt, Ogoshi is hard to get out of when tori's arms is around uke's waist. IPPON!!!

In high school I did only Aikido, and that was fun... I liked the Shiho Nage and Kote Gaeshi although hard to use when uke's got strong footing... you gotta do some serious kuzushi, and then onto the ground they go!

I tried Seoi Nage, and well... you'll tear up people's clothes... stick with the simple stuff. O Soto Gari and Ogoshi are my favorites. There are even simpler ones but they are not as foolproof.
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: Your "Bread and Butter" Throw? - 09/27/05 02:01 PM

Not judo I know but, I like a single leg takedown from an inside trip, probably the most common one you see. I also like a head lock throw, which normally works. I also got this one where I hit them in the throat and trip their legs at the same time, they always go down on that one. Never failed me once.
Posted by: schanne

Re: Your "Bread and Butter" Throw? - 09/27/05 04:50 PM

Yoko Wakari, my favorite....beautiful if done correct, but it has to be right or he will fall on top of you, not cool
Posted by: RobNus

Re: Your "Bread and Butter" Throw? - 10/21/05 07:02 AM

Quote:

Yoko Wakari, my favorite....beautiful if done correct, but it has to be right or he will fall on top of you, not cool

ditto! if done right, all those who watch the sparring make a collective "oooh" sound!

also koshi guruma (i think its called tekubi guruma in some other styles of jujutsu and judo). basically like O Goshi, except you grab around the neck and heave him over. then land on him.
Posted by: h2whoa

Re: Your "Bread and Butter" Throw? - 10/23/05 05:17 PM

Ouchi Gari followed by a Shimewaza!!
Posted by: RobNus

Re: Your "Bread and Butter" Throw? - 10/24/05 05:27 AM

Quote:

Ouchi Gari followed by a Shimewaza!!

anyone got a diagram on how to perform O-uchi Gari in the judo fashion? i know its a bit different to jujutsu...
Posted by: Aka_Ryu

Re: Your "Bread and Butter" Throw? - 12/04/05 12:59 PM

Quote:

My best throw has to be Harai Goshi. Its good when you go full whack into that one......loving it!
Posted by: GodsSpartan

Re: Your "Bread and Butter" Throw? - 12/04/05 02:32 PM

I have yet to get into throws yet. But any throw that takes me down to the ground with the opponent is a no no. If he has freinds I'd be in trouble.
Posted by: kusojiji

Re: Your "Bread and Butter" Throw? - 12/12/05 12:22 PM

Quote:

I have yet to get into throws yet. But any throw that takes me down to the ground with the opponent is a no no. If he has freinds I'd be in trouble.

Don't worry about it. If he has friends you're in trouble anyway.
Posted by: Layzie_Bone

Re: Your "Bread and Butter" Throw? - 12/23/05 05:33 AM

Quote:

I can relate. It's a difficult task to complete, but I have a peanut butter and jelly move with a butter knife that I just may Touché that with.
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=--==--=
How Do You Plan On Doing That?
Posted by: Paranormalma

Re: Your "Bread and Butter" Throw? - 12/23/05 09:07 PM

I guess that depends on your style of jujutsu.

Just go to judoinfo.com

They have all kinds of good stuff
Posted by: ADHDoka

Re: Your "Bread and Butter" Throw? - 04/03/06 07:32 AM

well i use it in jujitsu though i dont know if it is a traditional technique, as my style also incorporates capoeira, but a jumping siccors sweep takedown is just so much fun but not at all effective for a real situation as you end on the ground as well

http://www.karatecurtis.com/Techniques/scissorstakedown.jpg
Posted by: backkick

Re: Your "Bread and Butter" Throw? - 04/13/06 09:26 PM

tai otoshi
Posted by: Boomer

Re: Your "Bread and Butter" Throw? - 04/22/06 07:05 PM

I like the o uchi gari also...but if here is one throw I can make work consistently, it's gotta be sukui nage. I often find myself in that odd side by side position, especially if I'm manuevering to get behind my opponent and they defend well positionally. The scooping throw works for me sooooo well...just watch out for your opponent trying to encircle your neck on his way down.
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: Your "Bread and Butter" Throw? - 05/20/06 05:41 PM

Personally, I like Oguruma because if you hit it correctly, it's very dynamic. If you don't quite get there, you can do ashi-guruma from above the knee, and if you still miss, you can do Tai Otoshi by dropping your foot on the mat. Like real estate, it's "location, location, location"...

Getting a good grip for that throw is sometimes a little troublesome, but once you have the grip, you've got one of those three throws all the time.

Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: Your "Bread and Butter" Throw? - 05/21/06 12:41 AM

I like a good head and arm throw. Also single leg takedowns, leg bars and ankle pics.
Posted by: MasterAtArms

Re: Your "Bread and Butter" Throw? - 06/29/06 11:54 AM

Personally my best throws are probably Tai-Otoshi or Harai.