Overweight newbie...

Posted by: Chameleon102

Overweight newbie... - 05/13/05 10:46 AM

Hey guys.

I'm 21 and while I'm not huge, I do consider myself to be more than a little overweight. I'm interested in starting judo again, as I enjoyed it when I was younger (before I found out what a guitar was ) and I can't trust myself to keep up with any physical activity except running (which I love - the reason I'm not huge) unless I'm pushed to do so. I'm also tired of feeling like I could do nothing to defend either myself or my girlfriend from the scum that inhabit Liverpool city centre on a Saturday night.

Anyway. Would it be advisable to go straight into judo and let them mould my fat ass into something resembling muscle, or is it advisable to be at a certain level of physical fitness before you start?

Cheers.

Chris
Posted by: Shitokan

Re: Overweight newbie... - 05/19/05 02:36 PM

This is only my opinion. If the judo school u plan 2 attend employs very rigorous training then it may be a good idea to work on flexibility, strength and endurence 2 make sure u dont able 2 keep up during your first few months of training. If u dont, u may end up hurting yourself. thats about all the advice i can give.
Posted by: Roxer

Re: Overweight newbie... - 05/20/05 08:44 AM

Hey man. I've known a lot of big guys who did judo as part of a way to "mould their fat ass into something resembling muscle". It is motivating to see someone kicking their own ass in judo class, because if someone out of shape is trying that hard it makes all the muscular guys there feel like they should be trying that hard too. Plus, I only weigh 158 lbs ( 8.6% body fat ) but I fear no man. My judo has won me a hand full of fights against bigger guys. Also I've choked out and armbared guys honestly up to a hundered pounds heavyier than me in fights for training. Not in a dojo or anything, but we put on those ufc gloves and go at it no rules. Being good at judo or bjj makes you feel like iron. Stay motivated and don't drop the guitar for the gi
Posted by: hugo

Re: Overweight newbie... - 12/01/07 12:13 PM

I think you should just get into it. We have people of various fitness levels and body-types. I find the best approach is to let the training itself make you fitter, stronger, faster, more confident, etc.

My Pastor often says, "If Christ had waited until we were perfect to save us, he'd never have done so".

In the same way, if you wait until you have the body of a Greek god before you start your Judo training, you may never do so
Posted by: BodhiHuss

Re: Overweight newbie... - 12/11/07 11:13 AM

If you are serious about training, go ahead and start. It will be difficult and you will be sore at first, but actually training judo will get you in the best shape for training judo. I have a student that lost 30lbs in six months just from training in my karate class. He didn't change his diet or habits at all--he just worked out as hard as he could. It was tough, but he is in better shape and continues to lose weight. Plus, having a big guy to throw around in judo class is very beneficial to the other judoka. You don't want to lose all that extra weight before giving your fellow students a chance to test their skills with it.
Posted by: ericjones80

Re: Overweight newbie... - 12/11/07 04:10 PM

Throwing around other people your size will definitely melt the pounds off...good luck my friend
Posted by: jude33

Re: Overweight newbie... - 12/12/07 08:17 AM

Quote:

Hey guys.

I'm 21 and while I'm not huge, I do consider myself to be more than a little overweight. I'm interested in starting judo again, as I enjoyed it when I was younger (before I found out what a guitar was ) and I can't trust myself to keep up with any physical activity except running (which I love - the reason I'm not huge) unless I'm pushed to do so. I'm also tired of feeling like I could do nothing to defend either myself or my girlfriend from the scum that inhabit Liverpool city centre on a Saturday night.

Anyway. Would it be advisable to go straight into judo and let them mould my fat ass into something resembling muscle, or is it advisable to be at a certain level of physical fitness before you start?

Cheers.

Chris

Attend class, go running. See how it pans out.

Jude
Posted by: lopezma

Re: Overweight newbie... - 12/17/07 02:26 AM

Chameleon102,
I think you get the picture, get into an academy!
We expect you to be succesful so here are some things to help you on your way:
1. The good thing is that you like running, keep it up and even add 1 or 2 more days or miles to your running.
2. If you havn't already, go check out a school and sign up for the new year.
3. THIS IS A BIG ONE! Give yourself a deadline, let's say you will have it done by Tuesday noon. If you already did it, GREAT!
4. Either way, come back and let us know what is going on. What school and what you will be training in.
5. Define your goals.
Short term - Not just lose weight, but lose 20 lbs of fat this next 3-6 months.
Long term - Train and become a champ! See you in the 2012 Judo Olympics Games!
Good Luck to you and let us know what is happening by Tuesday if possible!
Posted by: Ames

Re: Overweight newbie... - 12/31/07 08:53 PM

Also, don't try to do too much at once. Don't try to, say, add more days to your running and start going to Judo every day. You'll burn yourself out, or injure yourself. Ease your way into it (but go enough to see challenge yourself and see results).

--Chris
Posted by: madflojo

Re: Overweight newbie... - 01/10/08 02:05 PM

Speaking as someone who is overweight my best advice is to go head first. You wont be in shape and you probably will feel winded at first but eventually your body starts to get into shape enough to handle the classes.

I started Kyokushin and Aiki jujitsu in April 07 since then i've lost over 100 lbs. All the training and what not I tried to do before starting again was useless the only thing it did for me was reinforce bad techniques that i had once forgotten.
Posted by: shills11

Re: Overweight newbie... - 01/10/08 03:18 PM

go for it man, dont put it off, I hit 18 stone beecause I took 2 years out of muay thai due to injury, after I was better i put off going back because I wanted to get into some kind of shape first, it wasnt untill one of my friends form Northern Ireland said "you have an amazing Muay Thai/MMA gym on your doorstop if i lived in glasgow id be their every day!!!" and he was right so i went back and im now 15 stone.

Go for it and be realistic because it will take time and you will get the odd injury but just keep at it
Posted by: shills11

Re: Overweight newbie... - 01/10/08 03:20 PM

just realised this posts about 3 years old.

I hope you've lost the weight!