Beginner Judo

Posted by: JuDo_KiWi

Beginner Judo - 05/11/05 06:36 AM

Hey there!

I recently attended my first two Judo classes and enjoyed them heaps! Besides my initial fear of breaking my neck by doing one of those break fall things I have already learnt heaps!

I was wondering what you guys would consider the biggest problems that most beginner judo students display. I have already been told to not grip so tight - i guess that is one of the biggies and also to try to stand up straight.

Is there any other little things you guys could suggest?

Cheers.
Posted by: MiSt

Re: Beginner Judo - 05/11/05 10:58 AM

Ok well,Ive been doing Judo for a few mounths and I can tell you it can appear to get harder,as time goes on.Also you may feel like you are getting worse. Just keep at it,be tough and you will reap the rewards. Its tough,you have to fight against a fully resistant opo and you will be thrown about alot. Thats the beaty, Judo does not lie,no false impressions of what you can and can't do. Personally I feel the hardest part for me at the momment it learning how to fall,its just takes practise and time and confidence when falling will incraese and faer of it will decraese.

Have fun :-)
Posted by: MartinR

Re: Beginner Judo - 05/12/05 08:54 AM

Stick with it. (Same as with anything worth doing in life).

More specifics
- Get low on hip throws (bend your knees)

- Stay as loose as possible during randori

- Learn break falls well. Tuck chin. Avoid trying to stop a fall with your hand/arm.