Judo on the street

Posted by: Anonymous

Judo on the street - 04/23/05 01:51 PM

When using Judo on the street,why bother finishing up with arm-locks after a sucessfull throw?

Once your opo is on the ground it takes no skill at all to kick him hard, which will stop him from getting up.

Any thoughts.

Re: Judo on the street - 04/24/05 01:34 AM

Once you get good at judo it feels more effective to use a good brake or choke. Plus with the adrenalyn(sorry dictionary) going he is probly gonna pop right back up after a throw and you won't get a decent kick. How many one hit wonders have you seen in a real fight anyway?

Re: Judo on the street - 04/24/05 06:54 AM

I would have thought if you kick him like you would toe-pock a football while taking a penility,it would stop him from getting back up, or a least give you time to kick him again.

Re: Judo on the street - 04/24/05 11:22 AM

In demos and stuff you see the throw then a pause for the audience. In real street fight the guy is trying to get back up before he hits the ground. Really. If you know judo the throw goes right into a hold down so you can work from the ground. Sorry Jigoro Kano, but unless you throw someone directly on their head and they injure their spine, they will be up by the time you get you're ballance to kick. You can do throws like a suplex, ippon sienogie(sorry spelling), or a feakin hulk hogan body slam, but if you don't keep controll from the throw to the ground, he's gettin back up to punch you again.

Re: Judo on the street - 04/24/05 12:37 PM

I would have thought after been thrown most people's desire to fight would vanish.

Re: Judo on the street - 04/27/05 05:38 PM

Not in my REAL FIGHT EXPERIENCE. I'm im in the military and I've got into it with many different kinds of people from wrestlers to boxers. It's almost impossible to do a devistating throw to someone in a real encounter. I've done hip throws, double legs, and a big suplexe(once). And yes they were on cement or carpeted cement. Nobody stays down in a fight. Would you stay down in a street fight unless you absolutely couldn't get up? You have to stick to them on the way to the ground and either make em give up or ground and pound(the second actually a lot harder.)

Re: Judo on the street - 04/28/05 10:07 AM

So then what do YOU do in a fight?

Re: Judo on the street - 04/28/05 11:20 AM

Legendary Masahiko Kimura is known to knock-out many oppenents by throwing them on the tatami. When you throw someone on the street, he´s maybe able to get up, but he´s certainly in weaker position and you have good chance to end the fight. I´m pretty sure I´m fast enough to kick you hard after a good throw.

Re: Judo on the street - 04/28/05 04:51 PM

I do a take down or throw. Then they usually give up their back by tring to get up while I'm on them. I usually do a rear naked choke then. It sounds like the most usual combo in grappling, but it really works. Other wise, I'd probly work for position for another choke or to get ground and pound. I do have good jujitsu and judo skills, but in a fight it's best to play it safe. Stuff like staying in the guard and arm bars from the bottom are used when you are being pinned and pummeled by a bigger opponent. If you can get out from the bottom you better freakin do it! There is no point in taking the risk of letting a bigger guy throw hay maker after hay maker at you just so you can look for a fancy submission. In a real fight, if you get any sort of joint lock, it's either snap it or don't get it to begin with. What are you gonna do, have the other guy tap out and you two shake hands and walk away. With a choke though you can choke him out and walk away with him on the ground. Jujitsu isn't about laying on the ground when you don't have to. It's a way for a guy to beat someone when you can't be dominant on the ground.

And seriously budokan, when your practicing judo, do a throw and see if you would have the ballance, distance, and enough time to land a kick. Have you not been in any real fights? Unless you axe kick him with his mouth on the curb, he won't stay down with one kick!

Re: Judo on the street - 04/29/05 06:19 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Roxer:
I do a take down or throw. Then they usually give up their back by tring to get up while I'm on them. I usually do a rear naked choke then. It sounds like the most usual combo in grappling, but it really works. Other wise, I'd probly work for position for another choke or to get ground and pound. I do have good jujitsu and judo skills, but in a fight it's best to play it safe. Stuff like staying in the guard and arm bars from the bottom are used when you are being pinned and pummeled by a bigger opponent. If you can get out from the bottom you better freakin do it! There is no point in taking the risk of letting a bigger guy throw hay maker after hay maker at you just so you can look for a fancy submission. In a real fight, if you get any sort of joint lock, it's either snap it or don't get it to begin with. What are you gonna do, have the other guy tap out and you two shake hands and walk away. With a choke though you can choke him out and walk away with him on the ground. Jujitsu isn't about laying on the ground when you don't have to. It's a way for a guy to beat someone when you can't be dominant on the ground.

And seriously budokan, when your practicing judo, do a throw and see if you would have the ballance, distance, and enough time to land a kick. Have you not been in any real fights? Unless you axe kick him with his mouth on the curb, he won't stay down with one kick!
[/QUOTE]

Yes, it seems like I have the balance, distance and time to land a kick. I think it´s more than possible to make someone stay on the ground with one kick to the head.
You can´t deny that you´re in very much weaker position when you´re trying to get up and I´m stamping you down.

I agree with you that you should end the fight as quickly as possible and leave fancy stuff to the practise and I also find choking very effective after the throw.