Self Teaching

Posted by: Anonymous

Self Teaching - 04/21/05 12:25 AM

Hey guys, hows it going?? I was just wondering if you guys know of any good websites or books that would be useful if i wanted to self teach myself judo. Well it's me and a friend but I don't think that part matters.

Thanx in advance

Re: Self Teaching - 04/21/05 09:55 PM

Self teaching is never a good idea. It is especially bad with an art like judo and ju-jitsu, where it is 100% randori.

With Karate or similar arts it's bad enough to be punching and kicking in the air with no one to correct your technique. With an art like judo it could be disastrous. Two fellows throwing and locking and falling on each other incorrectly, sounds like a trip to the ER is awaiting you.

Find a judo school. See if you and your buddy can get some kind of deal by signing up together.

Page
Posted by: MartinR

Re: Self Teaching - 04/22/05 10:06 AM

IMHO the throws would be difficult to practice safely if you have no experience. If you insist on practicing throws - practice FALLING A LOT first. Also, both should wear a Judogi (or heavy jacket) that each can hold onto to control the fall.

However, some of the grappling side of Judo could be more possible to learn without an instructor. I would not recommend practicing joint locks or chokes without an instructor - permanent damage or death can occur if you aren't careful. However, hold downs should be fine. Note that Brazilian Ju-Jitsu would probably offer more grappling options, but the Judo grappling is still pretty good.
http://www.judoinfo.com/

Re: Self Teaching - 04/22/05 10:41 AM

well i have a jiu jitsu backround and we both have gi s if that helps. Oh and my friends has a wrestling background so we're kind of experienced grapplers. We just wanna learn more ways to take down people so we think that judo is out target. I have mats in my basement for safety of throws, but i guess the technique mite not be corect, thats why im looking for good site/books cuz they explain a lot in detail.

Re: Self Teaching - 04/22/05 08:59 PM

You can't begin to describe why you cant teach yourself judo's stand up. You could however slowly learn ground work from judo or bjj from books AND A PARTNER. Learn the basics and work on them for a long time. Learn basic combos of boxing and practice with a partner also. Don't try to teach yourself advanced stuff because once you learn it wrong, it's 200% harder to learn it right.(muscle memory, habbit) If you get some basic boxing and ground work you should be good in a fight, especially because most real fights go to the ground. Don't try to use something though till you're very confident, because you're better off going nuts in a fight than trying to use MA that you don't really know.