Katame-Waza in Judo

Posted by: Anonymous

Katame-Waza in Judo - 04/05/05 08:29 PM

I know that this was topic was in an old thread, but I just wanted new input on the matter. I am only an Orange Belt in Judo, so my knowledge in this arena isn't the best, but it appears that the general consensus here and around is that BJJ is far superior
on the ground than Judo. Assuming this is the case, does anything find that in their dojo that they are spending more time perfecting the grappling techniques as compared to Nage-waza?

Also, how much of the joint-locks, and choking techniques do any of the lower belt students see? I heard that many dojos will only teach choking techniques, etc. to high-ranked belts...

Re: Katame-Waza in Judo - 04/06/05 07:31 PM

I welcome someone with a BJJ background to correct me if I'm wrong, but the jujutsu techniques I practice are identical to the judo techniques I practice. The difference lies in what is being taught. Most judo schools focus more on the sport aspect of judo and so techniques needed to hold an opponent on his back for 30 secs may be focused on more than passing the guard which is rudimentary in BJJ.

It all depends on the instructor as to which techniques you will learn. BJJ is very ground technique oriented while most judo schools split time equally between standing throws and grappling.

Assuming you are an adult, there should be no reason that choking or armbar techniques are not introduced at even the lowest grades. If you intend to compete then not knowing these basic ways to win puts you at a huge disadvantage if you go to the ground. I would be suspect of any judo instructor that leaves chokes and armbars out of the syllabus for the kyu grades.

Whether you study judo or BJJ/Japanese Jujutsu pretty much comes down to personal preference and the availability of an instructor. From a purely technical standpoint they are very similar.

--Dallas

Re: Katame-Waza in Judo - 04/10/05 01:45 PM

Hello,

I am new to this forum. I am an avid Judo practitioner (blue belt) and a am very interested in martial arts.

I would have to say that in terms of groundwork, both Judo and BJJ are equivalent. Notwithstanding the fact that BJJ is a derivative of Judo, the two arts differ in their methodology and approach.

Judo has indeed emphasized its sport aspect and as a result, there is little stress on leg and wrist locks, which are prominent in BJJ. Having said that, BJJ competitions allow leg locks, so it is a matter of IJF rules and judgement calls.

The most important difference, in my opinion, is the emphasis in BJJ of the guard position. Thus far, all my different Judo instructors have preferred to sit up and to try chokes or turnovers (elevators) instead of going to the guard. In BJJ seminars, I have been taught that the guard can be very advantageous and it was really stressed as a desired position to be in.

BJJ is all about submissions. Get the fight to the ground and submit your opponent. Judo has submissions, but also holddowns. It values throwing you opponent as the first means of defense or attack (depending on your view) and the ground is a follow up.

These are just different approaches to the same question. In the late 1800s, early 1900s, it was Maeda, a student of Jigoro Kano, founder of Judo, who taught Carlos Gracie Judo. So ultmiately, these two arts are related.