Flexibility and Jujutsu Locks

Posted by: Anonymous

Flexibility and Jujutsu Locks - 03/31/05 07:36 PM

I was just in class a couple of days ago and my training partner was saying that I am "one of those flexible people" when she was applying a shoulder lock to me. I know that I am more flexible than most people because of my TKD training (15 years) and I've not really been hurt by most arm locks involving my shoulders and most wrist locks. (Barring when they are applied by my instructor)

What I am wondering is, is having that kind of flexibility an advantage in a "live" situation? and if so how can I exploit this in future?

I also have noticed that in my Dojo we train defenses against only right handed punches. Although I insist my partners throw left handed techniques against me. (I know that pretty much all striking artists can Southpaw switch) Is this usual? Should I speak to my instructor to discuss the importance of training with the left hand?

I'm having a bit of trouble with the fact that no guards or stances or strikes are being taught at the moment. Is this common in Jujutsu? Most people in my class at the lower belts really don't know how to throw a punch, consequentially defending it is not very realistic.

Last but not least, my training partners say I'm moving too fast and blame my mistakes on this. However I'm moving at 1/2 the speed I would in a live situation and my instructor can see what I'm doing perfectly well at my speed. Is it necessary to slow down when I am comfortable with a higher speed? I believe that you fight how you train and I don't want to become habitually slow.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Flexibility and Jujutsu Locks - 04/04/05 04:57 PM

Hi there Leo,

I've been away for a few days, and I just caught up reading all of the posts in the MA talk forum. Then I remembered there were other areas here too.

1. Flexibility: In my experience the big advantage that really flexible people have is being able to escape from a hold more easily. This is especially useful on the ground where everything is "live".

2. Right hand: It's a little odd that you only train against right hand strikes. I've always advocated training against all angles and directions of attack. If your sensei doesn't mind that you have your partner also throw left side strikes then I'd definitely keep that up.

3. Striking: My jujutsu training was also lacking in stances and striking. The stances I could do without, but I really wished that I had learned more about proper striking mechanics. I am just now learning how to really throw a punch. I found that most jujutsu strikes were either more of an entering or finishing move, and not really more than a means to get into clinch range.

4. Speed: My personal rule of thumb is to do the technique as fast as you can and still do it correctly. With your TKD training I'm sure you already have the idea in your head that you have to learn a technique slowly first and then get progressively faster.
Honestly, it sounds like you are just more advanced (for lack of a better word) than most of the class. I've seen dojo that sort of get stuck at slow speed forever because that's what they're used to. Nobody ever gets hit, and they freak out if you make it a bit more alive than what they have come to expect.

I guess that's the way it goes. You can't have it all -- right? I hope you stick with jujutsu, and have fun.

--Dallas